Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody running the Performance Friction Direct Drive 2 piece rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 AM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 6 is sold and the 7 deal is tentative now--they are not selling out from under me but I am not happy with the difference between what I thought was our agreement and what they thought it was.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Randy, you lazy boy! What, like you have other things going on in your life besides the car? It's not like you are spending your time at the track lately

Dell, your days are numbered, homeBOY!

POOF! will be the sound of your track time in about 2.5 months.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Quite the contrary my friend. The track will be my escape
Old 08-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
assumption could be true.
but do realize that your hat will wear, i be surprised to see hats in good shape after three disk changes. also, unless you torque each nubbin to spec when you you replace the disk,....
I did ask PF about when the hat would need replacement and when the disc was out of spec. I didn't really get a solid answer on either but they implied the hat wasn't a wear item. More to follow when I get close to changing out my discs.

I didn't think about the attachment hardware cost along with the disc. Good point.

In the end, I'm not happy with how fast the stock/cup rotors wear out. Everybody seem to lose them to cracking that is secondary to the holes. If Porsche made a solid rotor I probably wouldn't be using aftermarket ones. Even if I go back to stock rotors someday, I'll probably stick with the PFC pads.
They just feel stronger and more linear on the track than the Pagids.

YMMV.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Jim, the hardware and disc is a complete kit when you have replacement. The kit runs $300 a side. With the cup rotors running $300 a side, if we get just a 2 for 1 (meaning 2 cup rotors used in the time it would take to wear out 1 PF) then we already saved $200 on the initial investment.

Now some quick math for mooty et al that think there is no $AVINGS.....
If 2 for 1 ($ave $200):
PF $1K for first set
Cup $600x2 sets=$1200

Second 2 for 1 ($ave $800 total):
PF $600 (now $1600 total)
Cup $600x2 (now $2400 total)

At worst a 3:2 ratio (3cup to 2 PF) you still save $200!!!
PF $1600
Cup $1800
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim H.
I did ask PF about when the hat would need replacement and when the disc was out of spec. I didn't really get a solid answer on either but they implied the hat wasn't a wear item. More to follow when I get close to changing out my discs.

I didn't think about the attachment hardware cost along with the disc. Good point.

In the end, I'm not happy with how fast the stock/cup rotors wear out. Everybody seem to lose them to cracking that is secondary to the holes. If Porsche made a solid rotor I probably wouldn't be using aftermarket ones. Even if I go back to stock rotors someday, I'll probably stick with the PFC pads.
They just feel stronger and more linear on the track than the Pagids.

YMMV.
i agree with all your point. furthermore i am not saying 2 pcs rotors are bad, they are better technically. i just wanted to say the $ saving, if any, is not as big as i first imagined b/c i am bad with tools. i have to pay to get disk re-installed to hats, and being brakes, i didnt want top take chances so all new nubbins.

brembo also told me hats aren't wear items.... well, the holes on the hat (where nubbins go) got bigger... so i decided not to use them. for those more brave, i suppose you can use them forever.

and yes, oem (cup rotor) included crack big time. i get 1000 miles out of them on avg. by then, i have 4-5 cracks connecting
Old 08-08-2007, 10:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Jim, the hardware and disc is a complete kit when you have replacement. The kit runs $300 a side. With the cup rotors running $300 a side, if we get just a 2 for 1 (meaning 2 cup rotors used in the time it would take to wear out 1 PF) then we already saved $200 on the initial investment.

Now some quick math for mooty et al that think there is no $AVINGS.....
If 2 for 1 ($ave $200):
PF $1K for first set
Cup $600x2 sets=$1200

Second 2 for 1 ($ave $800 total):
PF $600 (now $1600 total)
Cup $600x2 (now $2400 total)

At worst a 3:2 ratio (3cup to 2 PF) you still save $200!!!
PF $1600
Cup $1800
dell you got me.
i didn't mean to say NO SAVINGS.
just that it i sn't as big.
also, i ran brembo not PF (dont know much about PF), and the initial set (disk and hat) was about $1000/side. so i was and still bitter about my minimal savings.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Thanks for the info Dell. I didn't know the details on replacement kits but that's some good news. Now we'll just have to see how long these rotors last.

One more minor savings I just thought of is the caliper bolts ($20.00) that should be replaced everytime the caliper is R&R. Small but notable.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jim H.
Thanks for the info Dell. I didn't know the details on replacement kits but that's some good news. Now we'll just have to see how long these rotors last.

One more minor savings I just thought of is the caliper bolts ($20.00) that should be replaced everytime the caliper is R&R. Small but notable.
No need to replace the bolts EVERY time. Cheap preventative item but still, not needed.

Originally Posted by mooty
dell you got me.
i didn't mean to say NO SAVINGS.
just that it i sn't as big.
also, i ran brembo not PF (dont know much about PF), and the initial set (disk and hat) was about $1000/side. so i was and still bitter about my minimal savings.
Dear Lord that's some serious coin for the Brembo's!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Jim H.
Pro

No need to replace the bolts EVERY time. Cheap preventative item but still, not needed.!
I know it seems you can get away with it but many bolts are engineered for one time use as they stretch on their initial torque. I felt the caliper bolts were relatively light given their size (presumably to reduce unsprung weight) and probably engineered as a one time use product.

I have read posts where people have reused them without catastrophe so perhaps this is just an intellectual argument.

I think NJ experienced some kind of issue with caliper bolts that ruined his uprights. I might be wrong on my recall but if so...

Cheers.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

On my street 911 I do not replace the bolts every time since it doesn't see heavy braking. But the GT3 I will on the next go round. I reused the bolts this last time. I guess now that I am really starting to use the brakes as they were meant to I should prob change out the bolts everytime.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
nmex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if any interest. I had PCCB and change to PF and 01. I had this set up for about a year know and more than 30 weekends with this set up. I am on my second set of pads and Rotors are about to go.
The braking is way better than the PCCB"s More predictable and once you have given them a good heat cycle they are very predictable.
I have to change to Castrol CRF since all the other Brake fluids will go bad after 1 weekend. CRF and PFC and 01 work just perfect.

If more feed back needed PM and we can talk.

Cost was about 1300 for front rotors, rear pads and front pads ( for the rear I am running a custon set of Arlen Racing rotors that are 2 pice same size as the factory PCCB
Old 08-10-2007, 01:36 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I know getting litewieght is a good thing and 2 piece seems to be the sol'n but man I don't need weight taken off the front butmore so with the back. I relocated my battery down to the front just to give more balance in the front. mike
Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 AM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Note that, in my experience, that $1,300 does not include hats for the initial setup, which are another $4-500.
Originally Posted by nmex
...Cost was about 1300 for front rotors, rear pads and front pads ( for the rear I am running a custon set of Arlen Racing rotors that are 2 pice same size as the factory PCCB
Old 08-10-2007, 08:03 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

From what I have got in research the FULL 2-piece set is $500 a side and $300 a side if you are just getting rotors/hardware replacements a side. Pads are $400 up front and $200 in rear. So $1600 to start or $1200 if you have the hats.

I'll make a decision within the week and keep y'all posted. My next big event is a 3-day at VIR in 4 weeks so I will have something in place by then so I can get a full write-up at after.

Thanks again for everybody's input!

nmex....I'll hit you up in PM

Quick Reply: Anybody running the Performance Friction Direct Drive 2 piece rotors???