Sponsored by:

Flying diffuser!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 AM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flying diffuser!

So I hit 100mph and the diffuser decides to separate from the car and fly into the air. Good thing no one was anywhere close to behind me.

Did a quick search and can't tell if I need to have one for track activities. Going to VIR today, should I buy a new diffuser?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you referring to the black splitter that attached to the underside of your front bumper? If so, you will definitely want that. Unless you like a light front end

If I was heading up there this weekend I would be able bring an extra one with me (I have a couple in my parts closet upstairs ) Unless you are in the Raleigh area on your way there you will need to find one a the overpriced dealer.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely want a new one. It is very important for downforce/handling at high speeds.

Too bad my spares are inCT, I had a few extra motorsport lips/brake ducts that I coulda sold to you, mabye next time.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Not a Big Deal

Gents,

After I kept getting the diffuser/front-spoiler ripped off my '04 gt3 by curbs etc I stopped replacing it. I now drive diffuser-less.

I have had numerous track days [WGI, Lime Rock,VIR, Mid-Ohio] without any diffuser. Perhaps there is more understeer than if it was installed, but I don't feel it. There is plenty of front-end bite.

--> Please keep the temperature of any flames to a mere simmering level

NOTE: Buy the PMNA spoiler as a replacement. It is much less expensive than the PCNA one.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
You definitely want a new one. It is very important for downforce/handling at high speeds.

Too bad my spares are inCT, I had a few extra motorsport lips/brake ducts that I coulda sold to you, mabye next time.
Actually it reduces lift but close enough

tomAto, tomAHto right?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I have lost one at VIR and another at Summit Point. In both cases my first clue was that the front was noticably lighter at speeds over about 125 mph. I would replace it.

Since I started using the improved plastic rivets (from Viper Bob: they are a Porsche part and have a plastic Philips head screw instead of a plunger and ridges on the spike) AND used 3M double-sided foam tape (from Staples) between the splitter and the bumper to reduce air infiltration between the two, I have not lost another splitter on the track. I have two spares in the garage, though, both the cup car variant which is cheaper that the OEM street version.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I concur with Phok .. (ah, heck, Chris!). Get the cheaper motorsports splitter and attach it with double sided tape and you will have to smack something really hard to loosen it. Mine was stuck on with the usual rivets and Wurth tape. That was the end of splitter problems. At speed you will notice that the front end is less stable if you drive without it.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:15 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Follow-up from fhp911:

I use my GT3 for street/track use and I find the front lip / diffuser simply is not compatible with street use. It gets ripped off each time within a few days, max. I can't imagine that the better fasteners will prevent this. (I can see that they will keep it in place at even the highest speed on the track.)

So .... since I'm not willing to go through the aggrevation of installing a spoiler before each track event and removing it at the end, I'll just have to live without.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:53 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is bolted with aluminum bolts/nuts and plastic super-size washers. I also drilled extra holes on it. 2 years holding up pretty well.

Quick Reply: Flying diffuser!