2002 360 Modena

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:02 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
I'm sure you're not but I was just poking fun. I just laugh when people compare cars based solely upon ring times. If you want to do that then you should be driving a new Z06.

I don't own a GT3 but I've been behind the wheel of many so maybe the car has lost its edge with me. I've only driven a 360 once, and to me it was magic.
Actually the Z06 is 2 sec. slower than the GT3 and got the same time of the 360 Challenge Stradale
Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zicoramone
Actually the Z06 is 2 sec. slower than the GT3 and got the same time of the 360 Challenge Stradale
Not that I'm a Chevy fan at all but 2 seconds for 30k less. Hmmmm. Wonder what would happen if they stuck Walther Rohl in Z06 and let him loose. Either way my original point is ring times are, in my opinion a bad way to judge a car.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me that the only argument against the Ferrari is the maitenence costs. I can't associate, I have never had to pay for one, but knowing what it costs vs. a Porsche restoration they are in completely different leagues. If its a car you will only do 1000/miles a year on, then you will probably enjoy the 360 more. If you drive more then two days a week in the car, then the GT3 will be better. I will tell why now !

After spending a short amount of seat time in a 360, the car is very intoxicating. Its less enjoyable asthetically to me then a 355, but the engine is where it shines. The sound the 360 makes with Tubi's installed is a very big high. While Porsche has its classic flat 6 sound, there are very few sounds like a low displacement, high revving V8 (closer to a flat 8 really). Second, IMO the 360 is much more direct feeling then the GT3. While the GT3 felt to have better turn in to me, the 360 felt much more stable and confidence inspiring. Both the 360 and the GT3 have nearly identicle 'seat in the pants' performance. The 360 I think felt a bit faster, but again its only 'seat in the pants' feeling. Owning a Ferrari is a lot different then owning a Porsche. When Ferry Porsche designed the original 911, he was quoted saying that he wanted to build the every day sports car. There have been very few Porsches that aren't every day sports cars. The GT3/2/CGT are the only variants that would push the envelope. Ferrari doesn't build its cars the same, and IMO never intended for them to the driven that way. They are weekend toy's for the big boys that can play.

Why wouldn't you buy one? Well the feeling of driving a Ferrari is a win-lose situations. As stated above, the only gawkers you get of Porsches are typically enthusiasts who enjoy seeing the rare GT3. With the Ferrari, you get everything, from rednecks to envious doctors staring you down. On one occasion I was parked at the end of a lot with half the parking lot open. I came out of the store and there were people parked on both sides of me, as well as someone in front of me. No door dings, but that kind of stuff really pisses you off. Like also said, you will occasionally find the various drink spills and spit marks on your car. This was all within one day of driving someone elses car.

Like I said above, I enjoy a 355 Berlinetta 6-speed much over the 360 Modena. Neither F1 gearbox excited me, the F430 being the exception. The 355 has more of a 'classic' look to me with everyday similar power to the 360. The 360 was considered the 'new' era of Ferrari, and it has done well. Ferrari sales and values are ever climbing, and also as said, if you get 'in' the loop, you can drive a new Ferrari nearly for free.

If your car is a daily driver, I would consider a 550/75 as a much better alternative; as well as the torque and power for the V12 is also very enjoyable.

Wes
Old 08-12-2007, 02:17 PM
ez996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for good impression then get a Ferrari 360. It is much more expensive to keep up than Porsche though. For example A/C compressor made by AC Delco would cost you about $2300-$2500. For me 355 sounds a lot better than 360, kind of like F1 car at wot versus 360 more deeper sound. F430 is much superior than 360 engine/chassis and exhaust sound is very unique. Plus F1 gearbox in 360 is really a pain.
Especially if you move car slowly I don't like it. In the end of the day Porsche is a lot easier to live with day to day than Ferrari. I totally agree with post above from Wes.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:33 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have made your decision by now but I have owned 5 ferraris and found the only one that cost a lot to maintain was a super low miles garage queen. Get a car that has been driven and driven regularly. Make sure it has had all the service required. The 360 engine is mostly bulletproof according to my friend who wrenches them daily. Mine was.
Nordscleife aside, I have driven both and in most cases the performance is so similar that it will come down to the drivers. Pcar guys always choose the ring but its kinda home track to porsche and times may be skewed. The 993 is a great car, pls do not get me wrong. It will make a better daily, will make a better track car if for no other reason that modability and relative cost.
It will never shiver your spine with the sound like a fcar and will not move you visually as much either. Opinion, yes, but both widely held. I have two porsches and love them both. But do not discount the fcar experience until you have had a high speed romp in a tuned car with good exhaust. Its very addicting. My .02 cents worth!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rknebel
hi,

I have a 2004 GT3 right now Speed yellow. Great car. love it. I have always had a itch for a ferrari thought and found this one. http://www.raycoeuro.com/html/02Ferr...llow/index.htm

I be curious from people who drove both whether i would be dissappointed and also on the price of the ferrari.

thanks
Rick
You should compare the GT3 with the 360 Stradale to give it a fair comparison. On a track a 360 Modena is not really (and not intended to be either) in the same league as a GT3.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Apex Late had "challenges" with his 360. Brakes and transmission.

Quick Reply: 2002 360 Modena