Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those that track their GT3, do you ever think about tracking something cheaper???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jager: are you coming down to Portland Friday? Just for fun, take the foam that covers the rear mounts off. You will hear that intake sound at 3,200. I never put mine back. Much better sound than the radio
Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jager
Dell, your thought pops into my head too. A buddy just wrote his GT3 off in a wall at the track, got poked by someone else and that was it. Now its parts. I don't know if your experience is like mine at track, but I love the howl of the engine, the frenetic chasing down of the other cars, the perfect braking and tranny, the sheer aggression and balance of the GT3 on track. There is nothing else like it for me. I am confident of my ability, but not so confident of others whom I do not know. But I am not a professional race car driver driving the sponsor's car. I am driving my car, and sometimes I worry about that. But worrying doesn't stop me, I just think about it later. Its a sickness, right?
+1
I have the exact same feelings...

Although there is a company out there with a kit that allows you to put a chevy LS1 into an E36 M3... this would be a potent combination if set up properly and comparably less $ to replace/repair/upgrade etc...

For $20-30K you have a pretty sweet track car...

http://www.vorshlag.com/ls1bmw0.php

no affiliation...

Last edited by P.J.S.; 06-16-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: no affiliation
Old 06-16-2008, 06:51 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy the extra DE insurrance. Couple of grands can get you a full peace of mind. Otherwise, you just gotta suck it up if something happens.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:43 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

What is this enjoyment of "chasing down of other cars" in DE? Why not go into real racing, i.e., wheel to wheel.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
What is this enjoyment of "chasing down of other cars" in DE? Why not go into real racing, i.e., wheel to wheel.
That's easier to say than done. Some don't have time or money or both. Real w2w racing cost $$$. Lots of it.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This is what I do for fun on the track. MUCH cheaper than P cars. Been there done that with an 88 Club Sport with transplanted engine. Our local past president of Oregon Region PCA pointed out to me one time how expensive P cars were to track. So, we both do SCCA spec racer ford. Quite the bang for the buck. In the wet the spec racer is FUN with goodyear rains. In the dry they work well maybe 8 heat cycles and the are $700 for a set.

http://specracer.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3760
Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by datax
Just buy the extra DE insurrance. Couple of grands can get you a full peace of mind. Otherwise, you just gotta suck it up if something happens.
do you have this? mind telling me where you purchased it?

I got a quote last year from The Laurel Group -- for an $80K car it was $3500 per year with a $12,000 deductible and coverage for 30 track days... no other packages available from them. They used to offer a 10 and 20 day package, but no longer.

Yes... you read it right.. $12000 deductible
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by datax
That's easier to say than done. Some don't have time or money or both. Real w2w racing cost $$$. Lots of it.
Chasing down some other car and pass in DE can cost a lot more than $$$.
Read a post above; someone lost a GT3 from such incident.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Im getting rid of my 996tt because I bought a 996 3 to track (racing the 996tt got too expensive and with the grand am races Im getting into...just too much to bear)..and after having it out...I can say I havent had more fun in my life. The car is wild, frantic, unsettled (fighter jet style) yet amazingly capable and the ride of a lifetime. The sounds that come from my car with the muffler bypass (especially that oh-so-sweet 3-4 shift) are to die for. Honestly, its worth the money for those feelings 10 fold.

As for bettering...Im with you Dell...I just cant go for the slow cars, regardless of "the best" thing to do. I have managed wonderfully with the big hp cars and trial by fire as far as pushing limits. Nothing like it IMHO!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Honestly, its worth the money for those feelings 10 fold.

As for bettering...Im with you Dell...I just cant go for the slow cars, regardless of "the best" thing to do. I have managed wonderfully with the big hp cars and trial by fire as far as pushing limits. Nothing like it IMHO!"

Couldn;t have said it any better Drew. There is not a mandatory way to start tracking/racing as far as what to start with, and so on. If you have the means and get over the initial fear, there is NOTHING LIKE IT, tracking or racing (haven't done the racing part YET) a Porsche especially a GT car. I was scared ****less of my GT2, now with tons of events and setups later, it is just mind blowing, I can agree.

My friend once told me (Drew you know of him Demitrios) when he first started and wanted to learn 20 years ago with his 930 turbo, everyone talked down upon it. Instructors wouldn't get in because of the fear of the car and so on, and said do not do tracking events with it. He said if you have what you want, UTILIZE WHAT YOU HAVE, work you're way up, and he is right!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Chasing down some other car and pass in DE can cost a lot more than $$$.
Read a post above; someone lost a GT3 from such incident.
Even if DE insurrance is $3500 a year, it's still cheap compare to racing. You spend at more if you race and to be competitive.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
do you have this? mind telling me where you purchased it?

I got a quote last year from The Laurel Group -- for an $80K car it was $3500 per year with a $12,000 deductible and coverage for 30 track days... no other packages available from them. They used to offer a 10 and 20 day package, but no longer.

Yes... you read it right.. $12000 deductible
http://www.wsibinsurance.com/

Give them a call. Lower deductible and lower rate. But, I heard their policy changes from state to state. Not sure.

Last edited by datax; 06-17-2008 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Jager
Advanced

Roberga: not sure about Portland on Friday. Maybe Seattle on June 26, we'll see. Are you going to be there? I'll try taking that carpet off. The sound of these things at full howl is soooo sweet. I love the downshift bark at 5000.

Mous3: try driving a GT3 on track without chasing down the other cars. You can't, cuz it just happens. These things run fast.

Dell: please keep the car. I love your posts about it.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Jager
Advanced

PJS996GT3: maybe we should form a club, like GT3 Anonymous or something, "My name is Bob and I am a GT3 addict" ...

Quick Reply: Those that track their GT3, do you ever think about tracking something cheaper???