Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Re-hash, PSE mod, performance mufflers, or full system

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007 | 02:55 AM
mxdave74
Instructor

Default Exhaust Re-hash, PSE mod, performance mufflers, or full system

I know there's a lot of info out there re. all exhaust enhancement options. I'm curious what the breakdown is of owners who go, with performance mufflers only, full system or the PSE style mod to OEM mufflers? I'd read the reams of info. and opinions on what sounds best, more interested in which method wins by the numbers.

BTW, if you have a set of OEM or performance 996 mufflers you're willing to part with, please email or PM me.

Last edited by mxdave74; 07-08-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2007 | 06:07 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mxdave74
I know there's a lot of info out there re. all exhaust enhancement options. I'm curious what the breakdown is of owners who go, with performance mufflers only, full system or the PSE style mod to OEM mufflers? I'd read the reams of info. and opinions on what sounds best, more interested in which method wins by the numbers.

BTW, if you have a set of OEM or performance 996 mufflers you're willing to part with, please email or PM me.
I'm looking to do something with my exhaust too. I tried the straight pipes but they just didn't do it for me. I lost gobs of low end power and responsiveness and it didn't honestly even sound that good.

I'm looking to make the exhaust a tad noisier (so I can hear it better) but I would like to be able to hear the wonderful sound of the engine under full power.

What is the PSE style mod? I didn't know Porsche had a performance exhaust for the GT3...?
Old 07-09-2007 | 05:48 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Default mod link

Juha,
Try this link for starters... there are many more on this subject. The short story on the PSE mod is to emulate Porsche's switchable Sport exhaust. Open up a couple holes the OEM mufflers and connect the 2 with a J shaped pipe to allow more song to reach the tail pipes. Many people seem quite happy with it.
Old 07-09-2007 | 08:08 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

WOW!!

Thanks for the link! I will definately try that mod!

I think I'll experiment a bit and do both, the 2" PSE pipe AND the 1" by pass from muffler inlet pipe to muffler outlet pipe.
That should make it interesting!!
Old 07-09-2007 | 08:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Juha G
II tried the straight pipes but they just didn't do it for me. I lost gobs of low end power and responsiveness and it didn't honestly even sound that good.
Couple questions Juha.
1. When you say straight pipes do you mean no cat or mufflers or no mufflers? What pipes did you use (brand)?

2. Were you able to quantify "gobs" of power loss? Or was it just seat of the pants assumption?

3. Sound is definitely a subjective thing like tires, oil, etc.. so I can believe you stance that it didn't do it for you. Everybody likes a different exhaust note and will search and search until they get what they were looking for. THen it will feel like that great pair of jeans that are broken in
Old 07-09-2007 | 09:04 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Couple questions Juha.
1. When you say straight pipes do you mean no cat or mufflers or no mufflers? What pipes did you use (brand)?

2. Were you able to quantify "gobs" of power loss? Or was it just seat of the pants assumption?

3. Sound is definitely a subjective thing like tires, oil, etc.. so I can believe you stance that it didn't do it for you. Everybody likes a different exhaust note and will search and search until they get what they were looking for. THen it will feel like that great pair of jeans that are broken in
1. Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I meant was muffler bypass pipes and to be specific this time, the Peb boys style!

2. Loss of over all performance was mostly a seat of the pants assumption but I'm damn sure that I lost a great deal of low end torque and responsiveness. The story doesn't however tell if that power shifted to the upper revs with the aid of a beather breathing exhaust system. Usually when you open up the exhaust the sound makes the car feel faster (even though it sometimes can be slower). In this case I was very suprised to find that the car actually felt slower...

3. You are dead on on this one brother! I first liked the loudness but what really annoyed me was two things; I lost the sound of the engine (I really love to hear the engine reaping under full power) and the car sounded like a volkswagen beetle on stereoids. Sometimes it sounded like the car was farting...

I think some of the "beetle" sound is due to the OEM headers that are not equal length and together with the flat six, they generate this "lovely" symphony...
Old 07-09-2007 | 09:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Juha, that makes more sense. The "Pep Boys" mod is mainly to see what the sound would be like but as far as the proper diameter and smooth mandrel bend they will eat your down lower power.

Regardless, that sound is definitely an acquired taste

Happy Motoring!
Old 07-09-2007 | 11:02 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the Cargraphics export mufflers on my car, and love the sound. Do they pick up 7 hp per the CG site? I don't know, but they sound great (to me, anyway).

In that regard, I have the OE mufflers from my GT3 available, but assume you alreadu have those.
Old 07-09-2007 | 11:10 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

All 996 series mufflers are the same. Tuners just sell them as 996 Carrera and GT3 specific. Get a pair of $800 dollar Agency Power, Fabspeed or ZTek. It's all about sound and if you are lucky might get to keep all your hp.

To get any hp on a GT3 exhaust, you will need to go all the way on the hardware but the deciding factor is gettting your software tweaked right for the change in exhasut flow a la Cup car.
Old 07-10-2007 | 01:59 AM
mxdave74
Instructor

Thanks Joe,
Let's chat about your OEM mufflers.

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I have the Cargraphics export mufflers on my car, and love the sound. Do they pick up 7 hp per the CG site? I don't know, but they sound great (to me, anyway).

In that regard, I have the OE mufflers from my GT3 available, but assume you already have those.
Old 07-13-2007 | 10:59 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

I've used the Fabspeed mufflers, great sound but not too obnoxious. Big thing is the weight savings over OE mufflers.
Old 07-16-2007 | 01:49 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

I had Fabspeed mufflers on my 996 C2--- didn't really care for the sound. For the GT3, I bought the Europipe system. I have to say, the sound is amazing! And, supposedly, it adds about 14 hp. I assume this is mostly due to the larger pipe diameter as well as the 100 cell racing cats. The sound is nice inside the car, no resonance at all. In fact, I didn't think it was really much louder than stock. However, my wife was driving next to me one day in her Boxster, and she commented that my car was really LOUD when I got on it. Good!

Last edited by Steve B in SD; 12-06-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2007 | 12:53 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve B in SD
I had Fabspeed mufflers on my 996 C2--- didn't really care for the sound. For the GT3, I bought the Europipe system. I have to say, the sound is amazing! And, supposedly, it adds about 14 hp. I assume this is mostly due to the larger pipe diameter as well as the 100 cell racing cats. The sound is nice inside the car, no resonance at all. In fact, I didn't think it was really much louder than stock. However, my wife was driving next to me one day in her Boxster, and she commented that my car was really LOUD when I got on it. Good!
Are you getting any "check engine lights" with your 100 cel race cats?
Is it loud enougt that you are attracting unwanted attention (cops etc)?

I am debating an exhaust change and Europipe keeps coming up.... hmmm
Old 07-18-2007 | 01:34 AM
va122
Drifting

I have the cargraphic R system, headers 100cel, mufflers. Supposidly 411bhp with software. Great sound great power, not too loud though. I do have issues with the 100 cel cats and cels. Annoying!
Old 07-18-2007 | 01:39 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

If you get the Durametric software you can remove the codes..CEL.
Under $300

Quick Reply: Exhaust Re-hash, PSE mod, performance mufflers, or full system