Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
Juha G What ever floats your boat.

Nordschliefe, I get your jokes, don't stop, Don't Stop DON"T STOP
LMAO!!

I got this one!!

But seriously, can you say that the car sits correctly in the photo? Wouldn't it look a lot better if the front was a tad lower...?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car looks a little raked but that could be your corner balance. It looks like you have the rear wheel tucked into the well and I can see the top of the front tire. I don't care what the set up looks like. How does it drive? A pink GT3 with tampons hanging from the mirror gets my respect if he can pass me.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spare tire
Your car looks a little raked but that could be your corner balance. It looks like you have the rear wheel tucked into the well and I can see the top of the front tire. I don't care what the set up looks like. How does it drive? A pink GT3 with tampons hanging from the mirror gets my respect if he can pass me.
It drives great, but what do I know, I've owned the car for 2 months and done only 3 track days with it so far...

What if it was THIS GT3 that passed you...? Would he still get your respect?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Juha, your GT3 looks too high at the front. Check the height. 115mm is ok, yours looks like 150mm.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for comparison.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...l/DCP_0011.jpg
I believe the ride height in the front is 112mm( to the locating bolt), 3.5 " to the lowest point of the front splitter. I would not suggest this for street driving, or rough tracks, and I think it probably had the effect of shortening the life of the shocks and springs. Don't forget that camber plays a big part on how the front wheels will look as well.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Juha, your GT3 looks too high at the front. Check the height. 115mm is ok, yours looks like 150mm.
I gotta check that tomorrow! So I measure between the ground and the lowest point of the crossmember?

Btw, why does Porsche measure the height like this? If you have different size tires, the height will be different as well... i.e. 295/30 vs. 315/30 etc.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juha G
I gotta check that tomorrow! So I measure between the ground and the lowest point of the crossmember?

Btw, why does Porsche measure the height like this? If you have different size tires, the height will be different as well... i.e. 295/30 vs. 315/30 etc.
No.

Last edited by Mike K.; 11-24-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car hasn't been lowered and it looks like this, for sure a whole lot lower than yours Juha.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juha

I have a number of friends who are professionally involved in design, some of them even do yachts. One of the things that they do to their cars is put on hubcentric spacers to fill the arches, this greatly imp0roves the appearance of their cars.

Raking the car does make it look like Cassiius - 'lean and hungry'. Whilst raising the rear is better from a clearance point of view, it isn't totally without cost, it will slightly lower the front overhang.

Now top matters of real importance - will ETNZ continue to beat Alinghi, it certainly looks like we have a boat race on our hands.

R+C
PS you are only allowed to write 'YEEEHHAAAHHHH' on the sides if you weld up the doors and buy yoiur main squeeze a pair of Daisy Dukes.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Excuse me whilst I fall around laughing.

US spec engines are designed to meet the requirements of California, ie fuel that bears a strong resemblance to peanut butter and pointlessly complicated check managment systems. This fuel does not make for great performance and even causes FSI engines to perform sub-optimally.

Most manufacturers change the engine managment systems for their cars in the US (and gearing) to emphasise a low 0-60mph figure.

The US tends to have rather poor roads and low ground clearance unfriendly road furniture. To be honest, if we take the 996 GT3, the softer springs of the GT3RS would be better suited to prevailing conditions than the set up in the standard GT3.

If yoiu want to make your car look low and mean, why not just jack up the rear and write 'YEEEHAAAH' along the sides?

R+C
I figured the horsepower rumor would generate a few "replies" from our ROW friends...Thanks!

Julia - I like the look of a lowered car as well. In the case of the 996 it really makes a difference when you compare the stance of a Carrera with a GT3. I would just make sure you're at the factory settings though. Unless you're really into racing and tuning, it seems like the factory settings make for the best all around handling, especially if you do occasional track work...my 2c (Although NJ's reply as me thinking about lowering the car in the front as well, just to get to "true" design specs).

Cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
My car hasn't been lowered and it looks like this, for sure a whole lot lower than yours Juha.
Ditto on my C2 with aftermarket suspension. Wonder why the front ride height specs on the MKI cars are qite a bit different (13mm difference in minimum height) at the front than the MK II cars yet the rears are similar (3mm difference).

You're all starting to make me worry that my C2 is too low at 105mm / 115mm, but then again I do have nearly double the spring rate of a stock GT3.

Andy
Old 06-27-2007, 02:58 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

BTW, here's how you check the ride height.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=ride+height
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

I guess it's better explained with pictures!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
BTW, here's how you check the ride height.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=ride+height
Thanks!

The next question is...how the hell do you measure it (if not on the lift)?
I tried to do I couldn't do it in the garage...

Could any of you guys measure from the center of the wheel hub to the fender.
Mine was 335mm front and 335mm rear...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Well...it's a pain to get under there to measure...but it's doable.

What I did when I set ride height was I took pieces of scrap wood and cut them to exactly the length of the ride height that I wanted and kept adjusting the height of the car and using the wood pieces as a template for the height. That way I wasn't constantly fussing with a tape measure I simply had to raise or lower the car until the templates fit between the floor and measuring point.

Andy

Quick Reply: Lowering the ride height on the 996 GT3