Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted Brake Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007 | 03:51 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Default Melted Brake Ducts

This is a first for me... I was checking my car to get ready for next week and look what I found... This is from a week at the Glen in 90+ degree weather. Probably melted when sitting in the pits after the race and the heat was just radiating off the brake disc.

Old 06-24-2007 | 05:49 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

the good news is your brakes are working really well!
Old 06-25-2007 | 09:16 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

I love it!

I would seriously email that to Porsche Motorsport. The high-temp plastic is not supposed to do that no matter how hot it gets.
Old 06-25-2007 | 10:13 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
I would seriously email that to Porsche Motorsport.
ROFL, you have never dealt with Porsche Motorsports have you!?!?!

Old 06-26-2007 | 04:16 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ed, stop using that middle pedal, it's not worth it.

Another reason to switch to PCCB...
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:11 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
This is a first for me... I was checking my car to get ready for next week and look what I found... This is from a week at the Glen in 90+ degree weather. Probably melted when sitting in the pits after the race and the heat was just radiating off the brake disc.

How many cooling laps?
Old 07-02-2007 | 10:11 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

You probably nailed it on the head. Typical is only 1/2 lap. I am trying to be more gentle on my cool down laps and just use downshifts to slow the car as not to use the brakes. Hope it helps. Gave me a good excuse to upgrade to Cup ducts anyway.
Old 07-03-2007 | 01:44 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
You probably nailed it on the head. Typical is only 1/2 lap. I am trying to be more gentle on my cool down laps and just use downshifts to slow the car as not to use the brakes. Hope it helps. Gave me a good excuse to upgrade to Cup ducts anyway.

If it is a case of not-as-heat-resistant-as-we-thought plastic material, are the Cup ducts made from different material?

The possibilities are scary, if this material melts perhaps it can ignite. There's been a ton of material engineering advancements made in plastics over the last half-decade (think nano-tech!), but if it's high-performance it's usually not cheap and sometimes difficult to work with ...wait doesn't that cover a lot about these cars? hee hee.

Hopefully it's got a ignition temp that's well above it's droop-and-fall-off temp. I've worked with so-called "fire-proof" plastics for office furniture (cubicals) that will totally liquify long before ignition, but their strength and dimensional stability was abysmal.

Quick Reply: Melted Brake Ducts