Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Done with drilled rotors up front. Slotted pics.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done with drilled rotors up front. Slotted pics.

Gone over to the Brembo slotted floaters. The installation was as easy as Austin from TRG and those of you from here that have done it said it would be. No more worrying about the cracks. I am keeping the drilled on the backs. The pads are Pagid 19's on front and 14's on back.
Attached Images     
Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

very nice!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the same setup I'm running.... works great!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:38 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Just ordered the same. My fronts are finished and there are no Cup rotors available anywhere in North America now.

Not only do they work great but they add this extra touch of bling
Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are the same as the ones sold in the UK, do they rattle?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:47 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks good. Can you share some more info as far as source and cost? Thanks!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 what Tim said.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 PM
CT03911
Banned

Call Austin at TRG. http://www.theracersgroup.com/

My price was not representative because the hats had some laps on them, while the rotors were new. He had one set as it happened when I called and it sounded like a good deal to me. I also got a spare set of new Pagid 19's from him at the same time and the price was around 2k.

My "old" set of OEM drilled rotors look rediculous sitting in the garage. 6K miles total on my '04 and 6 track days and they were not rotors I wanted to trust my life to. Hope the Brembo slotted front and OEM drilled rears hold up well.

There was a small amount of noise from them when I tested them out around the area, nothing too noticeable to be honest, but it is there. Not sure that a casual observer would notice over the brake pad noise. At this point if noise accompanies performance, reliability and longer wear, I'll accept the noise.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by CT03911

There was a small amount of noise from them when I tested them out around the area, nothing too noticeable to be honest, but it is there. Not sure that a casual observer would notice over the brake pad noise. At this point if noise accompanies performance, reliability and longer wear, I'll accept the noise.
They'll get louder with use.

That's why I always recommend the Alcons. Bigger diameter (362mm - better brake leverage) and they run silently (anti-rattle shims).
Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
They'll get louder with use.

That's why I always recommend the Alcons. Bigger diameter (362mm - better brake leverage) and they run silently (anti-rattle shims).

Found that they (Alcon) are difficult to purchase in the US. Maybe just talked to the wrong people. Tried to purchase a set with the "smily face" slots and were told they were phased out and they would not tell me what they were being replaced with. They just didn't seem to want my money. And no one seemed to know the whole story as to what was what.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by RayGT3
Found that they (Alcon) are difficult to purchase in the US. Maybe just talked to the wrong people. Tried to purchase a set with the "smily face" slots and were told they were phased out and they would not tell me what they were being replaced with. They just didn't seem to want my money. And no one seemed to know the whole story as to what was what.
I don't know if Alcon distribute the JZM discs worldwide, but in the UK they are distributed by JZ Machtech.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Slotted rotors do crack too. I was surprised too when I saw Holger's slotted rotors but then again it was at the end of it's life. Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
BrokenE
Instructor

How deep are the grooves........can you use them to judge minimum thickness? In other words, if you see the grooves you're fine. If you don't, it's time to change rotors?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:55 AM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Slotted rotors do crack too. I was surprised too when I saw Holger's slotted rotors but then again it was at the end of it's life. Mike
The discs tend to get surface cracks - but these are harmless and can be removed (if need be) through skimming. But I think the key issue is that no matter what discs you have, braking technique and - to a lesser extent - adequate brake cooling are paramount.

Whilst my brakes are immense in their outright performance, Mike Wilds (an ex-F1 driver) has taken me out a couple times in my car and he seems to barely touch the brakes! I asked him "is this as hard as you need to brake?" and his simple reply was, "yes, why do you want to go any slower?" And whilst he really only brushed the brake pedal lightly, the speed he carried through every bend was mind blowing. The car was settled, flowed, and it was a masterclass in driving/braking/car control/and SMOOTHNESS. Mike may be 50-60 years old, but we passed EVERYTHING in my car that day whilst being extremely sympathetic to the car.

Having witnessed Mike's performance in my own car has made me realise that you really don't need braking upgrades to go fast. You just need tuition.

Quick Reply: Done with drilled rotors up front. Slotted pics.