GT3 6 vs. 7

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by speedread
It's getting lost in the sunroof, etc. dust. How about pure driving differences, "eyes closed" so to speak. Which do you like best the 6 or 7?
no one can answer this Q unless you have both car at the same time with equal amount of seat time in both and tuned the same.

at THIS MOMENT, i prefer 996gt3 on track, 997gt3 on street. but i only have 800 track miles on the new car and am still fooling around with it. so it isn't fair for me to assess them now. plus i may have rose tint spectacles on as i no longer have a 996gt3.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by stuka
With the 996, it's all driver, and no computer.

There's no TC, and the diff is agressive, and when you nailed the apex, you know it's all you.
if you turn off TC on 997, and you nailed the apex, AND the TC light didn't come on, you would know it's all you too, no?

i was trying very hard to get TC to come on. the only time i did was to let off throttle at T4 of TH to get a tank slapper to get the TC to come on.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:36 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
If anything the PASM is actually less confidence inspiring - in my opinion anyway.
I am confident that when I nail an apex in my 997 it is not the car driving itself.

..I wish I didn't sell mine. But I don't regret getting the 997 either. I just wish I could keep more than the Cup and the 997 RS. I would have kept my 996 GT3 and my Cayman S. But having to decide between them, I am glad to be getting the RS!
i am not at ease with pasm either, maybe i am overthinking, but i wish i knew what it would do at all times. it seems to be just a tad behind the action.

hey, dont be greedy, now many GT3 do you want
Old 06-17-2007, 03:21 AM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if you turn off TC on 997, and you nailed the apex, AND the TC light didn't come on, you would know it's all you too, no?

i was trying very hard to get TC to come on. the only time i did was to let off throttle at T4 of TH to get a tank slapper to get the TC to come on.
Have you tried left foot braking yet? Does DBW cuts off fuel?

I am thinking about going to TH in August, but for me it's kind of a long trek. It is a fun track though, and I thought the food was better than Sears point.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:28 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 91 Posts

It does the same thing in the 996.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:30 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 91 Posts

hey, dont be greedy, now many GT3 do you want
Hello, my name is Matt and I have a problem.....
Old 06-17-2007, 03:56 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
It does the same thing in the 996.
It only happens to me when the car is less than 2000rpm.

How does it work with 997?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:50 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I am thinking about going to TH in August, but for me it's kind of a long trek. It is a fun track though, and I thought the food was better than Sears point.
LFB will cut off fuel on both 6 and 7 gt3.
but if you are really good with your feet, get off throttle, brake, keep brake pressure on, get back on throttle, then you can LFB. basically if you are on brake first then gas, you can LFB (very difficult i know), if you are on gas first then brake, no can't do.

if you like to LFB, i have a procedure that can kill the circuit which prevents LFB on 996 chassis. but you do have to cut wires.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:51 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

It only happens to me when the car is less than 2000rpm.

How does it work with 997?
your car is different then.
all my GT3, 996 997, regardless of rpm, you can LFB for a fraction of a second, then throttle cuts out.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=stuka]Well, you bought PAG's brilliant marketing of selling "911" with a punched out Boxster wet sump engine. I am sure you remember back before the 996 days, all 911's have real dry sump engines, and you can actually track them without worrying about oil starvation and then have the dealer void your warranty because you "raced it."

--- OR --- like most of us, he couldn't afford to purchase a GT2.... geez.... this is the stereotype that people put on newer Porsche owners... if the shoe fits...
Old 06-18-2007, 03:50 AM
stuka
Pro

[QUOTE=mrsullivan]
Well, you bought PAG's brilliant marketing of selling "911" with a punched out Boxster wet sump engine. I am sure you remember back before the 996 days, all 911's have real dry sump engines, and you can actually track them without worrying about oil starvation and then have the dealer void your warranty because you "raced it."

--- OR --- like most of us, he couldn't afford to purchase a GT2.... geez.... this is the stereotype that people put on newer Porsche owners... if the shoe fits...
Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your thing?

I believe that I mentioned something along the line of all pre 996 911's having real dry sump blocks?

So, the solution is quite simple, and one that I would have certainly adopted, if I, as you said, "couldn't afford a GT2."

M64 > M96/7

Or put it more plainly, the guy should have bought YOUR car instead of wasting his hard earned money on a punched out Boxster engine 996 pretender.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 AM
stuka
Pro

your car is different then.
all my GT3, 996 997, regardless of rpm, you can LFB for a fraction of a second, then throttle cuts out.
One of these days when we bump into each other at a track event, feel free to test it.

But I will try it again tomorrow on my way to work and report back...
Old 06-18-2007, 11:56 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

M64 > M96/7

Or put it more plainly, the guy should have bought YOUR car instead of wasting his hard earned money on a punched out Boxster engine 996 pretender.
Funny, but my "punched out Boxster engine 996 pretender" is considerably FASTER than a 993 - though I otherwise wouldn't go around trumpeting that, since the 993s have generated justifiable passion among their owners, for whom I have respect. Among other Porsches over the years, I previously owned a '77 911S, an '80 930 and an '84 Carrera, all fine cars indeed - but all vastly inferior (much slower, with much poorer handling, HVAC & ergonomics) than my current "punched out Boxster".

Why does your arrogance have to manifest itself as insulting fellow Porsche enthusiasts? If you kept your smug sense of superiority to yourself, the world (or at least this board) would be a better place.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:21 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by triode
Funny, but my "punched out Boxster engine 996 pretender" is considerably FASTER than a 993 - though I otherwise wouldn't go around trumpeting that, since the 993s have generated justifiable passion among their owners, for whom I have respect. Among other Porsches over the years, I previously owned a '77 911S, an '80 930 and an '84 Carrera, all fine cars indeed - but all vastly inferior (much slower, with much poorer handling, HVAC & ergonomics) than my current "punched out Boxster".
Faster it might be, come back and let us know how understanding your dealer is when you come back from the track with blue smoke problems from oil starvation. Integrated dry sump is market speak for wet sump.

E46 M3 is just as fast as a punched out Boxster pretenter too, but that doesn't mean it's a better car.

And at the end of the day, there is no denying that PAG is cheating the regular 911 owners by making people think that their punched out wet sump engine has any resemblence to the one used in the cup car.

Whereas back in the 993 and prior days, the same block was used, because it is a proven platform, not a money making pretender.

There is no reason why the M64 crate engine nowadays cost four times more than the M96/7 other than the lack of volume. If they had use a single M64 for all 911's like they used to, with the 911 volumes nowadays, it could easily have brought down the cost to be lower than 993 days.

So, if it aint marketing, what is it?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stuka speaks the truth! I chose to buy my 996GT3 due to the dry sump engine. The last thing I need is to blow an engine on the track due to oil starvation. I am not a fan of the core 996/997 engine. I believe that Porsche chose the "profits" route over the bullet-proof engineering which had built their brand over the last half century. Unfortunately, the marketing department never got that memo and continues through today to tout the "trackability" of their base cars, though has no problem rejecting warranty claims... That fact prevented me from buying a 996 back in 1999 when I first had the means... I chose to focus on the 964 chassis instead... And then the GT3 came stateside, and my giddiness returned. Damn. I love my 996 GT3!

-B

Quick Reply: GT3 6 vs. 7