Sponsored by:

Brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Brake rotors

What's the thickness of new front GT3 or Cup rotors? And what's the minimum thickness before they need to be replaced (assuming they're not cracked)?

Also, anyone ever used nonslotted and nonvented rotors? Pros & cons?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:56 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Last year I ran slotted rotors and I got 28 track days out of them. They are not done yet either. The slots are gone but they were pretty shallow anyways.
My new rings are unslotted and I expect them to hold up even better with extended pad life also. If you track the car hard then the holes on drilled rotors
(stock or cup) will crack. All the talk about off gassing of pads or that the holes are for cooling. The holes are to accumulate brake dust and are another thing to clean all the time. As for non vented rotors; they need to be just as thick as the vented to work with your caliper so solid hunks of iron would double their weight to 50+ pounds per corner. they might not warp but they would never cool off. Cost savings on not replacing brake ducts? I recomend no slots or holes for heavy use. For cool looks go with the cup rotrors.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
For cool looks go with the cup rotrors.
Yeah, because that's what the cup cars use them for.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The front rotors are 34 mm. You never wear the out if you track. They die of cracks, is cracks join 3 or more holes or go to the edge of the rotor, they need to be replaced. Motorsport rotors are almost identical but far cheaper.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best place to buy a cup rotors? Are the the most cost effective option if you track? Or, are there other brands to consider? I noticed http://www.jzmachtech.com has Alcons rotors. Is there any other options? Thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:55 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Austin at TRG... Great guy. They are a Rennlist sponsor. I paid @$600 for a set of front cup rotors in March through them...

If you use Pagids with a high-end brake fluid (I use Castrol SRF) and also add the cup ducts for enhanced airflow, I think you will be just fine with the cup rotors. Alcons are expensive.

-B
Old 06-07-2007, 08:12 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I buy my rotors from Austin as well. Great guy to deal with.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:59 AM
CT03911
Banned

I just bought the Brembo 350mm slotted floating rotors and hats from Austin. He was great to work with and gave me a lot of info to help my decision. I'm going to keep the OEM drilled rotors on back and just replace the fronts. I am running Pagid 19's on front and 14's on the back.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2007, 12:35 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year I ran slotted rotors and I got 28 track days out of them. They are not done yet either. The slots are gone but they were pretty shallow anyways.
My new rings are unslotted and I expect them to hold up even better with extended pad life also. If you track the car hard then the holes on drilled rotors
(stock or cup) will crack. All the talk about off gassing of pads or that the holes are for cooling. The holes are to accumulate brake dust and are another thing to clean all the time. As for non vented rotors; they need to be just as thick as the vented to work with your caliper so solid hunks of iron would double their weight to 50+ pounds per corner. they might not warp but they would never cool off. Cost savings on not replacing brake ducts? I recomend no slots or holes for heavy use. For cool looks go with the cup rotrors.
This one speaks the truth.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

brand, model, size, and supplier of your rotors???

i warn against brembo floating rotors. incredibly noisy. i mean incredibly...
Old 06-09-2007, 01:13 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My Brembo floating rotors are NOT noisy... depends on how tight those bobbins are, I suppose.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:46 PM
guykoken
Instructor

I switched to Brembo floaters for my GT3 and had no issues except for the noise, which increased with the miles and ultimately became terrific, to the point that it sounded like something was shaking loose under the front of the car. I got terrific life out of the floaters compared to the Factory discs, 'cause there were no holes to cause cracks. When it was time, at the begining of this season, to replace the discs ( the slots were almost worn smooth), my mechanic advised that in his view, the holes in the hats had enlarged to the point that it would be unsafe to mount the replacement discs to them. I thought that perhaps he was being too conservative, so he shot a video of the play in them and sent the video to the dealer from whom I'd purchased the floaters and the replacement discs, who in turn sent the video on to Brembo. The advice that came back from Brembo via the dealer was that yes, there was too much play, and that the floaters were not suitable for street/track use because Brembo had designed the hats to have a life of 50 hours of driving! That was news to me, and to the dealer too. The dealer agreed to accept a return of the replacement discs for a 95% of purchase price refund and I've sent them back . I'm now looking for a set of non-floating slotted front discs. Does anyone out there have a recommendation?

Obviously, if I knew then what I know now I would not have purchased the floaters. The marginal cost savings over the life of the floaters (*** their hats) did not compensate for the racket of their noise, and I'm incensed that until the dealer heard from Brembo, the dealer didn't know about the 50 hours of use life of the hats. The dealer told me that they'd be good for at least two sets of discs!

Richard Bain

Last edited by guykoken; 06-09-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:56 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ca993twin
My Brembo floating rotors are NOT noisy... depends on how tight those bobbins are, I suppose.
do you have little springs in the bobbins?
my was early version for GT3, not isolating springs, we got bobbins pretty tight and it sounded like my car was literally falling apart into pieces. perhaps the late models have been improved.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:02 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by guykoken
I switched to Brembo floaters for my GT3 and had no issues except for the noise, which increased with the miles and ultimately became terrific, to the point that it sounded like something was shaking loose under the front of the car. I got terrific life out of the floaters compared to the Factory discs, 'cause there were no holes to cause cracks. When it was time, at the begining of this season, to replace the discs ( the slots were almost worn smooth), my mechnic adised that in his view, the holes in the hats had enlarged to the point that it would be unsafe to mount the replacement discs to them. I thought he was being too conservative, so he shot a video of the play in them and sent the video to the dealer from whom I'd purchased the floaters and the replacement discs, who in turn sent the video on to Brembo. The advice that came back from Brembo via the dealer was that yes, there was too much play, and that the floaters were not suitable for street/track use because Brembo had designed the hats to have a life of 50 hours of driving! That was news to me, and to the dealer too. The dealer agreed to accept a return of the replacement discs for a 95% of purchase price refund and I've sent them back . I'm now looking for a set of non-floating slotted front discs. Does anyone out there have a recommendation?

Richard Bain
glad to hear that. i thought i was alone on this issue. i got brembo flaoters b/c i thought after i killed of disk i just replace disk and keep hat so long run would be cheaper (factory rotors only last me 1000 track miles, that's 5 track days for me, thus i need 6 sets of front$$$$). but much to my surprise, the floaters though lasting longer, the holes on my hat also enlarged and thus both hats and rotors needed replacement. so i am not sure i really saved much $$$ and having to tolerate the noisy (which sounds just like your description). after that episode, i just ran cup rotors and chuck them when 4-6 holes connect, roughly every 5 track days.

dont get me wrong, brembo's are great disks, but they do have some "issues".

i was told AP makes some fixed two piece that are quiet and long lasting though i have no personal experience on that.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:57 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guykoken
I switched to Brembo floaters for my GT3 and had no issues except for the noise, which increased with the miles and ultimately became terrific, to the point that it sounded like something was shaking loose under the front of the car. I got terrific life out of the floaters compared to the Factory discs, 'cause there were no holes to cause cracks. When it was time, at the begining of this season, to replace the discs ( the slots were almost worn smooth), my mechanic advised that in his view, the holes in the hats had enlarged to the point that it would be unsafe to mount the replacement discs to them. I thought that perhaps he was being too conservative, so he shot a video of the play in them and sent the video to the dealer from whom I'd purchased the floaters and the replacement discs, who in turn sent the video on to Brembo. The advice that came back from Brembo via the dealer was that yes, there was too much play, and that the floaters were not suitable for street/track use because Brembo had designed the hats to have a life of 50 hours of driving! That was news to me, and to the dealer too. The dealer agreed to accept a return of the replacement discs for a 95% of purchase price refund and I've sent them back . I'm now looking for a set of non-floating slotted front discs. Does anyone out there have a recommendation?

Obviously, if I knew then what I know now I would not have purchased the floaters. The marginal cost savings over the life of the floaters (*** their hats) did not compensate for the racket of their noise, and I'm incensed that until the dealer heard from Brembo, the dealer didn't know about the 50 hours of use life of the hats. The dealer told me that they'd be good for at least two sets of discs!

Richard Bain
You could try the alcons from JZ machtech in the UK. I'm happy with mine so far and have done 12+ trackdays on them and still ok with no noise. Will cost a lot with the way the USD/GBP fx rate has gone of late though!

Quick Reply: Brake rotors