Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look Ma, no mufflers here either...(video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I had the Pep Boys pipes for a couple of track events. Put the mufflers back on when I was stopped by the police a block from my house on the way back from the track. I did happen to punch the throttle a few blocks earlier, but there was no chance that the policeman clocked me. The noise probably woke him and he felt compelled to check my license and registration. I felt like I was 16 again.
Cops never cease to amaze me. So they pull you over yet the Harley dudes just cruise around town with their insane noise makers.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
DupaHead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mandrel bent pipe makes a difference. Our 90 degree PepBoys/Murrays pipe have ridges which change the dynamics of the exhaust flow. The smooth bends in the mandrel pipe improves the flow... Don't know how much... but still a loss in torque...

I really don't know why I am waiting on pulling the trigger for some fabspeed mufflers...
Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I run the bypass pipes (Fabspeed) at the track and put the stock cans on for the street.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DupaHead
The mandrel bent pipe makes a difference. Our 90 degree PepBoys/Murrays pipe have ridges which change the dynamics of the exhaust flow. The smooth bends in the mandrel pipe improves the flow... Don't know how much... but still a loss in torque...

I really don't know why I am waiting on pulling the trigger for some fabspeed mufflers...
Yes, I would agree that there should be a slight difference between a mandrel bent pipe and a peb boys model but we are talking about one bend here so the difference is insignificant. What it does at most is creates some resistance and drops the velocity of the exhaust flow.

Then again a mandrel bent pipe does not cost anywhere near what fabspeed is charging! And my point was that I wouldn't want to spend $500 for something I can easily have custom made for a fraction of the cost.

However, I do see how much more convenient it is to get a bolt-on setup!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Cops never cease to amaze me. So they pull you over yet the Harley dudes just cruise around town with their insane noise makers.

I cant agree more with this. The bikes of all types have the loudest of exhausts ranging from the sport bikes with their hollowed out titanium or carbon pipes to the Harley crowd with those ridiculously loud hogs (could anyone have picked a better name than that) making a ton of noise and hardly moving.

Yet we put a muffle bypass pipe on and are nowhere as loud and we get pulled over. What gives?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
I run the bypass pipes (Fabspeed) at the track and put the stock cans on for the street.
I think that's right way to go!!! Best of both worlds!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Juha G
I think that's right way to go!!! Best of both worlds!
Well, so my neighbor thinks
Old 05-30-2007, 05:04 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Me too... but I'm not sure about the reasoning behind your sadness, care to explain?
looks silly and the car deserves better
Old 05-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice cheap way to decide whether or not you want to buy the fabspeeds
Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anyone gone to the trouble of dyno testing the bypass pipes?
Fabspeed dyno's damn near everything so if they are not offering up a gain with the bypass pipes installed, I bet there is no power to be had.
Just my .02
Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
looks silly and the car deserves better
I totally agree with you!!!

If you read my post you'll see that this is just temporary and I don't even want to drive around like this in day light...

Trust me, I'm all for style! If you'd seen any of my previous cars, you'd agree!!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Has anyone gone to the trouble of dyno testing the bypass pipes?
Fabspeed dyno's damn near everything so if they are not offering up a gain with the bypass pipes installed, I bet there is no power to be had.
Just my .02
I dunno man, it feels that the car is actually slower now, and not only down low... Just makes a **** load of noise. I'm kinda starting to hate it. Sounds like the car is farting all the time...
Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Like I said, the sound is great for the track but too loud for the street. I could imagine it gets for old driving around with this on the street (especially if this is your DD) but it sounds AMAZING on the track and by the way it does NOT lose power in the most important place.......at the top of the power band. When you spend your entire day on the track between 5-8.2K rpm then you don't care if there is a power drop at the low end since it has shifted to the top end.

Trust me, I am NOT slower on the track with the pipes and neither are the CUP guys.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM
DupaHead
Instructor

I dunno man, it feels that the car is actually slower now, and not only down low... Just makes a **** load of noise. I'm kinda starting to hate it. Sounds like the car is farting all the time...

Hey, thats how I felt after about 2 days.... gonna put the stock cans back on???
Old 05-31-2007, 03:09 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juha G- Can you tell me if the bypass pipe is a little 'quieter' if the ricer tips were removed?

Quick Reply: Look Ma, no mufflers here either...(video)