Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective New Owner - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM
davidf1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 2 996's before my GT3. The best thing about the 3 is between 5 and 7K. You just can't get there all the time on public roads as a daily driver. I take my son to Lacrosse practice/games in the 3. I take it shopping. I just take it for Sunday rides but without the track you are missing something. My schedule only allows 6-10 track days a year. I only can get to Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, but oh is it better than a 996. I have a 3 because of those 6-10 days. I wish I could get more time at the track but I'm just so happy to have a GT3. Buy it.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:29 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
It's noisy enough (mostly tire noise; Michelin PS2) that yu can't hear the radio too well.
It's got a radio????
Old 05-25-2007, 03:43 PM
mfennell
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
It's got a radio????
Yeah, but it sucks.

If you want a real, honest-to-God sports car, this is the right car. It's about as pure as it gets these days, except for an Elise or Exige (or my FFR). Just make sure that's what you really want.

Sure you'll catch **** from the track guys if you use it daily and don't make it a track *****. So what? Personally, I don't think it makes any sense to track a car that costs more than a decent spec miata, truck, trailer, and 2 or 3 seasons of actual racing. To each his own.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mfennell

If you want a real, honest-to-God sports car, this is the right car. It's about as pure as it gets these days, except for an Elise or Exige (or my FFR). Just make sure that's what you really want.

Just to derail things a bit...the Elise and Exige are still pretty comfy cars. A proper honest-to-God sports car has no heater, no AC, no padding on the seat, no leather, etc. So let's not loose track of what a real sports car is all about. Oh, and did I mention that the Elise and Exige are heavy? Heck, my wife wants to buy an Exige to use as a daily driver (granted that she is a mega track ***** but still) and aside from getting in and out, they are pretty comfy unless you are a "soft".

I most be soft though as I kinda like going around the track in a GT3 with the AC on when it is hot outside!

And I also most be unusual because even if I am stuck in traffic with a GT3 at 10MPH I can tell the difference between it and a C4S and justify the extra expense for the feel of the car. I also have terrible back problems and after properly fitting my Euro seats, I never had any pain no matter how rough the road. They are actually more comfortable to me then the US Sport seat for daily driving.

Anyway, the GT3 is one of the best street cars for the performance enthusiast that never goes to the track AND for the one that flogs it every weekend at the track! Now if you live in NYC or MN it might not be a good choice for a daily driver but as long as it doesn't snow or have pot holes as big as the car where he is, it will be just fine AND reliable!
Old 05-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

A 996 GT3 is a fantastic car, but not a fantastic daily driver. It CAN be used as a daily driver, but I bet 90% of the people who own these cars do not use them daily. That should tell you something.

Drawbacks to daily usage for me are:

1. Draws too much attention
2. Constant vigilance required for front end clearance
3. Wife doesn't like riding in passenger seat
4. Gotta park away from door dingers
5. Poor access to storage with rollbar and clubsport seats
6. No undercoating for rust considerations (long term ownership concern)

The probable outcome is that for reasons of convenience or concern, it won't be a daily driver for you in the long run. It sure is a fun car to own and drive anyways so if you can get one, do it. The depreciation on these cars has already hit, so if you buy it, take care of it, and don't track it, you probably have only a small downside in answering the question you posed, yourself.

Vroom, vroom.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 PM
stuka
Pro

1. Buy a 12 pack of front lip spoiler, you will go through them like underwear.

2. Forget about listening to anything but AM talk radio.

3. Having lived with my GT2 with GT3 seats as a daily, I say buy the GT3 seats, but only use them for the track. Not having easy access to the rear storage area for daily driver is a pain.

4. Do NOT put meat, fish, and other grocery sensitive to heat in the luggage compartment. It is not insulated like regular 911's.

5. Motorola phones are a pain to use because they are not as loud as Nokia's or Samsung's.

Other than that, it is a fine street car after 10K miles and one year.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:54 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

Here is the real deal on this car, as I just sold mine to Rusnak.

F....n bitchin car, no doubt about it.

Its rough and brain dead at slow speeds.

Its god like slamin thru the gears when someone in an oversize MB wants to take you on when entering a freeway.

Its a crowd pleaser when reving.

Friends will want to ride and crap in their pants during and afterwards.

Get a girl friend it the wife does not dig it.

Lastly, bummer thing about this car, its not a mileage *****, so you have to limit your fun unless its ***** to the wall who gives a rats arss about resale value..

I am now eyeballing a 997TT, hate that ride height though. Loved the look of the GT3, low slung, like a street fighter.

Good luck. You'll have a blast!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:33 AM
boqueron
Pro

It seems that nobody warned you about the MKI/MKII behaviour at ilegal speeds on a bad road : really challenging ( to say it softly ). I said : ilegal AND bad roads. In certain situations it can very easily loose BRISKLY it's direction on a turn when taking a bump.

Other than that it's noisy and low as others have pointed out.

A 996/997 is MUCH better as a daily Porsche, a 996TT as well.

PS.- I sold my 996 Turbo to get my GT3 which I track about 15 times a year. Happy owner but....when I have a MEDIUM/LONG ( I said MEDIUM/LONG ) trip I NEVER take my GT3. ( We have some bad roads over here)..

PPS.- Oh ! And I have two herniated disks and love the GT3 buickets ! They are perfect for my back !!(??!)
Old 05-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by manny_g
Hi Guys: I am from the 996 forum and planning to trade my current C4S to a GT3. Have a couple of questions. Plan to use car as a daily driver. Do you guys see any problems with this? Are there specific issues with these cars that I should know about. Any input you guys may give me will be of extreme value. The car I am currently looking at is a 2004 with only 7k miles. The car has factory warranty until July of this year. According to Car Fax report the car has an open recall #W414 DME update. Do you guys know what this is? Plan to do PPI by an Indy shop. Do any of you guys know of a good shop in the South FL area?

Looking forward to reading what you guys have to say.

Thanks, Manny.
No issues in Melbourne Florida with daily driving except for the low ground clearance of the front lip.

I drive mine every day. It's the only car I have.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:07 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a MK1 daily driver. The worst thing (for a daily basis) I guess it is the single mass flywheel. We have to pay attention not to stall the car.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marv
No issues in Melbourne Florida with daily driving except for the low ground clearance of the front lip.

I drive mine every day. It's the only car I have.
How many miles do you have on the car so far, Marv?

Quick Reply: Prospective New Owner - Need Advice