Sponsored by:

Correct tie downs for Trailex

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Correct tie downs for Trailex

I just purchased a used Trailex open aluminum trailer for my GT3.

What do you guys recommend for tie downs?

Thanks again

Rick
Old 05-03-2007, 10:48 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These work good Rick. http://www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm?...ion&linkid=458

Call them to get good ratchets too. The straps themselves are a good way to go it seems.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Thanks
Old 05-04-2007, 12:58 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Go to the bottom of this page to see the AutoMetric tie-down hooks. Solid, and keeps suspension lightly compressed so doesn't wriggle around and lose adjustment.

http://www.autometricsmotorsports.co...s%20&%20Misc.:
Old 05-04-2007, 01:49 PM
CT03911
Banned

Hey Joe, if those hooks that bolt on to the shock mounts actually work on the 04 GT3 I would prefer those too. I had the Autometrics that go under the car on the suspension mounting bolts on my C2 996. They worked great.

On the GT3 I was convinced those would be too low under the car on the front so I went with the through the wheels straps. This method is more time consuming and long term may scratch a wheel although I take time to clean the wheels section where the strap will go.

I have a call in to Autometrics regarding the shock mounted piece. Their web site does not show this fitment for the 2004 996 (GT3). If it fits, I will go that way and based upon how easy the other frame mounted hooks were compared to the straps I'm using would recommend that to you Rick. If these hooks work out use this style strap from the trailer to the hook: http://www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm?...ion&linkid=458

Last edited by CT03911; 05-04-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:37 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use the frame-mounted pieces like these, no clearance problems.
http://www.autometricsmotorsports.co...96tiedowns.jpg
Old 05-04-2007, 04:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Why do y'all prefer the frame mounted hooks like these instead of just strapping through the wheels?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:22 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Less movement on the suspension. Tieing down with these hooks compresses the suspension a bit, keeping the car solid while in movement. They were recommended to me by a long time racer.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

hard to install?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:28 PM
CT03911
Banned

I prefered the frame mounted hooks for two reasons. One, not putting a strap through my clear coated wheels to avoid chaffing them. Second, they are infinately esier to use, simply clip on and rachet them tight.

There are issues with the hooks on a GT3 however and that is why I am currently using the strap method.

The front hooks will scrape under heavy braking or if you simply hit a bump in a street etc. Autometrics says they will scape down a bit and be fine. Others have made mention that seeing you are at that point hitting something bolted to your frame you may not want to do that. On the back hooks, the right side hooks are VERY close to the oil cooler and must be used/installed perfectly to avoid a hook damaging the cooler. Not sure how to do that yet, Autometrics just described to me that it was possible but....

Lastly, I asked about the shock mounting bolt hooks that they show and one guy earlier in the thread mentioned. On the Autometrics web site these are not listed for a 996 or any newer 911, including the GT3. Autometrics says they can be used but will bend as you cross strap them and tighten down to the trailer. They don't use them for their cars (Cup car).

In the end, the loops work, I just make sure the wheel is very clean. I have not personally resolved the issues with the Autometric hooks for the GT3 although I own a set from my last car and would love to use them.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
hard to install?
Not at all. Bolt/nut out, bolt/nut through the hook, bolt/nut in. I've not had any other clearance problems mentioned.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the help/I needed you guys when I bought my Trailex so I wouldn't have asked so many dumb questions.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Hey all... I'll be trying out the Autometric hooks real soon with my new Trailex. That's the way to go from alll the experienced people I have asked. Asked about the clearance problems too and didn't get any complaints. I also will have the wheel straps, they are good but cumbersome and may mar the wheels. So we'll see....
Old 05-05-2007, 08:24 AM
CT03911
Banned

Just a gentle reminder of post #10 I made above....

Autometrics themselves say the frame mounted hooks will rub on heavy braking and are quite low. They don't see that as a problem.

A well respected race shop in CT ( I won't drag them into this) strongly encouraged me not to transfer these hooks from my 996 C2 to the GT3. They felt that if the hooks dragged at the wrong time you could get a hit transmitted to the frame and do damage. I know, they are not lower than the brake cooling ducts but those snap off vs metal hooks bolted to the frame.

Additionally, if the right rear hook is not bolted on perfectly and then hooked to correctly you can damage the oil cooler lines.

For these reasons I am running straps which are more labor intensive to use and do present the possibility of cosmetic wheel damage even, I feel, if you are as **** as I am about cleaning the wheels where the strap passes through.

I would love to go back to the Autometrics hooks or their shock mounting bolt hook (two different ones) but I am not too sure about it yet.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CT03911
Just a gentle reminder of post #10 I made above....

Autometrics themselves say the frame mounted hooks will rub on heavy braking and are quite low. They don't see that as a problem.

A well respected race shop in CT ( I won't drag them into this) strongly encouraged me not to transfer these hooks from my 996 C2 to the GT3. They felt that if the hooks dragged at the wrong time you could get a hit transmitted to the frame and do damage. I know, they are not lower than the brake cooling ducts but those snap off vs metal hooks bolted to the frame.

Additionally, if the right rear hook is not bolted on perfectly and then hooked to correctly you can damage the oil cooler lines.

For these reasons I am running straps which are more labor intensive to use and do present the possibility of cosmetic wheel damage even, I feel, if you are as **** as I am about cleaning the wheels where the strap passes through.

I would love to go back to the Autometrics hooks or their shock mounting bolt hook (two different ones) but I am not too sure about it yet.
Excellent points. I do the strap through the wheel method and since I have a dedicated set of track wheels I don't give a damn what happened to them cosmetically. Looks like I am fine with the straps. The hooks look great for a non-GT car.

Quick Reply: Correct tie downs for Trailex