Lets start another oil war(JK) Mobil 15-50 is bak

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, this was discussed in another forum and IIRC, the 'new' red cap 15W-50 is not the same as the old 'classic' red cap 15W-50. It can't be, based on the more recent API rating.
However, it is much closer than the 15W-50 that came between the 'old' and 'new' red cap 15W-50.
I believe this is also what Mobil said in their press releases, like the one you quoted.
So it's back.....sort of.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Oh I know -but that 15-50 red cap has been missing for a long time and I know guys here use it so when I saw it I posted it. I dont think Sebring sees the temps we do here in the Mojave. Again I didnt want to start a debate and posted the title with the just kidding JK symbol so that we WOULD NOT get into it again. I know where we work out here in the desert when we blow up helicopter transfer cases or what ever else we study fo surviability we change oils based on temps and conditions. Like I said I know for a fact having been at WS and button willow many time- lots of guys use the Mobil 1 15-50 and it went away. I wanted to let
them know that I think it might be back. I keep forgeting we have all these petroleum engineering experts here. I was just trying to pass on info not start a pissing contest. And seperate of the track guys I know alot of desert racers and MX here all use 15-50 in the summer- those arent 45K motors but alot of guys have up to 10K in their four stroke honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawaski and KTM motors and to them thats alot of dough. They were all pissed when the red cap 15-50 went away. But I think the same formula is back. Of course all the hot weather and desert experts from Canada think we are all stupid. I was just trying pass on info for those who used to use it.
Oh boy...
Us hicks up in Canada run studded winter tires year round 'cause it never gets hot up here...ever. In fact we use melted baby seal fat in our motors as it's the only oil on earth that will remain fluid at the temps we see.
Obviously you are not only a weather man but a petroleum engineer as well! You should let those guys running automotive oil in their bikes that they are damaging their engines and tranny's (especially since you seem to be living on the face of the sun) since the shear factors are way different when your engine oil is also your tranny oil.
I also think that you are getting a bit angry at the world when someone commented on what was said...no matter that you wrote (jk) in the title, the pissing match was your's to start.
How much hotter does a motor run when the ambient temp is above 100 compared to summer in MTL (say 80-90 degrees)?
P.S. Racerron has a plethora of knowledge from racing and working in the industry.
P.S.S. I run a 5w40 motul full synthetic in my p-car.
Oh and us Canadians are of the dry and sarcastic humor variety.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I never said you were hicks but it gets hot here and 15-50 was used alot as stated by my cup racer friend-the point was the oil is back. Oh and by the way SOME bikes have their trannies and engines runing is the same bath-Honda MX bikes do not. And yes it does feel like its on the face of the sun in the dog days of july aug sept
last year on the first day of a month long flight test (yes I am an engineer) it was 118 degrees with the humidity up so our swamp coolers in the home dont work- most homes dont have air conditioning here-abit warmer than 80 degrees
as a matter of fact its plain miserable. That morning it was 98 at 6:58 at the airfield
A motor will run ALOT hotter just sitting on the grid. And again this was a post to let the hot weather guys know a popular oil here is back
the canadian were the ones letting the RTFM smilies fly.
read my first post and tell me where I wanted to start a match and if its so stupid why did Mobil bring it back? probably because of all us stupid desert hicks.
Great now we are trying to see whom can call themselves hicks the most times in one post
PS I know you are all a dry sarcastic bunch-one of my favorite XM channels was 153 the Canadian comedy channel but my 2 new rides have sirius and I have missed the canadian comedy channel hey. I have been listening to Rammstein on the sirius Octane channel.
PSS I apologize to my Canadien cousins I could have left the war OUT of my title even with the JK we could have had a Lablats blue and bar raced instead of getting mad
Still 15-50 is bak and I am glad.

Last edited by OldGuy; 04-17-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Hick, hick, hick...and a hillbilly for good measure.
Oh and I guess I should say "eh" because, you know, we do. Eh?

Ok, so you DO live on the sun and it sucks. We live in your freezer for half the year (did I mention we got 9" of snow yesterday?!).
For sure if you are sitting on the grid the ambient temp will worsen the car cooling capacity but what about at speed where there is air passing over the rads and oil coolers? How much heat makes a difference? I wonder...Anyway, I'm fine with you running 15w50 since I'm sure that if anything, you will be better protecting your motor, wether it needs it or not is up to the other engineer guys. I'm just a pleab....
You know if you had mentioned beers at the start of this then we would have never came this far!!
P.S. I'm a Moosehead fan, myself.
P.P.S. the seal oil was good, no?
Cheers.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes the seal fat joke had me laughing out loud. I do have a cabin at 8000' and it gets cold there and I could use some seal fat jerky. I only mentioned leblatts because someone left me a sixer in my cabins fridge after they had gone skiing Moosehead is a favorite too. Sierra Nevada is my favorite. Pale ale
or what ever their seasonal blend is (winterfest)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

I'll be sure to send you some seal fat to use as you see fit; as long as Pamela Anderson (a Canadian) doesn't get in my way!
Labatt is good beer, Molson is good beer....any beer is good beer! Ok so that was an exageration but well, you know beer is good stuff. Ever try Canadian Club whiskey?
if you have not see any of the Molson Canadian ads, check them out, they are hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcTxNBnLF30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQHbx5s5W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVh34XIvJqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsL0Z8-mdog

and the best one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea0fFvOzTlo

Oh and sorry about the thread hijack, eh? So yeah, Mobil 1...as you were!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:38 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have tried to to stay away from from the hard stuff. I dont like waking up naked upside down in the snow when my skiing buddies think they are getting funny. (that was the good tekillya Don Julio)
Back to the oil stuff I just found out my new335i needs an aux oil cooler retrofit. damn.

I like the Miller fox hat commercial- have you seen that one. Wear the fox hat?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Really? Is that a factory recall type thing on the 335? What are they putting in there now as oil?
I have a problem with the manufacturers pushing that you can go 15-20,000KM between oil changes, even on my CS they said (I think) 15,000km before the first change. Is anyone actually listening to that drivel? I mean for less than $100 (CAN...so like a buck eighty US) you can change your oil and filter and have the peace of mind. I bought mine so I'm a b it **** about oil changes etc.

Love the Fox hat ad!!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well the actractive part of both Bimmers I have is no maintenence for 50K with the 335 and 100K with the X5. Yes BMW is trying to sweep this under the rug like Porsches PCCB thing. But the new feb/mar build twin turbos are coming out with the new oil cooler in the wheel well. My wifes is a nov 06 build and no oil cooler. Its a problem in the 335i with sports package and paddle shifters. I called my BMW dealer (it gets hot here) and told them to look into it. what has been happening is the cars overheat and go into limp mode. WHere have I heard that before!!

Quick Reply: Lets start another oil war(JK) Mobil 15-50 is bak