Sponsored by:

Is a GT2 user friendly ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is a GT2 user friendly ?

I did a post a little while back on comparing a GT3 to a 993TT.
My friend with the TT has been out of town for a month. In the meantime a "killer" deal on a GT2 has come up. 93k !
Road and Track August 2001 raves about the car but says its not for long distance/daily use. The GT3 article they did said similar things. I drove the GT3 and could live with it daily. Is the GT2 rougher / more edgy ?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again!

I am shopping for a GT2 that I intend to add power to and use on the street, it will not be for the track. My personal feeling is that it is a better street car but lessor track car when compared with the GT3. The GT2 is far more difficult to manage with the non linear power band on the track but otherwise, the cars are pretty similar.

I would go for the GT2 and never look back but buy a nice low mileage example that is well kept. If you gwt a good deal on a high miler that has been thrashed, you may be sorry down the road.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
96 993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven 300 miles in one day a couple of times in my GT2. It is comfortable. And a pure delight. It will handle a one hour tie-up in the heat on the GW Bridge in NY with the ac on to pulling it's brains out on the Saw Mill River Parkway within a matter of minutes, all without a hiccup or overheating. The GT2 is more supple - less harsh - than the GT3. It really handles on the back roads.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i say BUY IT!!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:01 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

I think we may be competing for the same GT2. :/
Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For a daily driver go with the GT2, if it's to be tracked go with the GT3.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The GT2 is fine as a daily driver providing that you don't mind the noise level and stiff suspension. The front spoiler is very low and will scrape on nearly everything.

The 996 GT2 has a softer suspension than the 996 GT3 making it a bit more comfortable on the street. Both are great on the track but the GT3 is easier to drive because of the linear power band. The GT2 is faster under all circumstances. The GT3 has more ground clearance and is less of a nuisance in that regard.

Best,
Old 04-05-2007, 09:56 AM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

I've used my GT2 as a daily driver for the last two and a half years lots in central London...bit harsh and noisy but wonderful fun and docile in traffic...hopeless over speed bumps...front spoiler hits on almsot anything .....but fantastic on track...apart from trashed ceramics after one track day...replaced with alcon gen 2 all round better braking and no probs since apart from occasional clunk from floating discs..(still waiting for Porsche decision on ceramics)...this is a great car...but watch greasy roads...originally on Pilot Sport Ones...full power = sideways everywhere....Pilot Sport 2 much improved greasy grip but still need some sense !!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
lightguy
Racer

Thanks for all the responses.
Its great to have this source of people.
My friend with the 993TT has not contacted me in a while so I'm thinking he really does not want to sell or offered me a too low price and is backpeddleing.
($60k for a mint one with 40k miles.)
I think the 20k +or- premium for a GT2 may be worth it over a GT3 at least for me.
I searched and found out that 600 HP is relativly easy to reach. How practical !
Got to ride in a Ruf RT12 and was amazed by the power. GT2 + stage one upgrades = "poor mans" RT12 ? And I get to eat EVERYTHING else on the road.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:04 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lightguy
I searched and found out that 600 HP is relativly easy to reach. How practical !
Got to ride in a Ruf RT12 and was amazed by the power. GT2 + stage one upgrades = "poor mans" RT12 ? And I get to eat EVERYTHING else on the road.

Well there's always a bigger fish in other ponds... and don't forget that Ruf has been known to modestly under-report their HP levels.

Let us know what you come up with!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

Email me lightguy if you would like any further info...get 580bhp for about £2,000 upgrade to ecu apparently without any bad side effects....looking at doing mine soon. Watch for dodgy ceramics if you are buying...or allow £3-4k for Alcon upgrade all round..or £10k for new front ceramic dics....the rears seem to last Ok ish now done around 11,000 miles in mine(see above) n love it...
Old 04-09-2007, 07:37 PM
lightguy
Racer

Paul, thanks
Email sent.

BTW; The GT2 is gone. Euro, 17k miles, untracked at about $90k.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

In all this discussion of GT2's user friendliness, one important point has been not been discussed.

At the limit it is a difficult car to control. In terms of percentage crashed as a proportion of the number which are driven round the Nürburgring, it is right up there. A fairly typical remark made by a petrol head on seeing a GT2 waiting to go onto the 'Ring is 'I didn't know there were any uncrashed GT2s left in Germany'.

The reasons for this are twofold

1. The power delivery, when driven on track, hard, can be somewhat digital, and it arrives really quickly, quicker that the unwary can deal with it, result - the backend passes the front end at high speed, a delayed catch usually results in both sides getting done in and with an aero display on the cards as a lucky dip bonus.

2. The car attracts drivers who might charitably be described as suffering from ADDD (Attention Deficit Disorder whilst Driving), you need to be on top of this car, or it will be on top of you.

So it is a friendly car to drive on the street, but pay attention at all times. There are not many cars with serious horsepower that don't require attention, this isn't one of them.

R+C
Old 04-10-2007, 02:05 PM
lightguy
Racer

Nordschliefe (and Kevin)
Thanks for the input.
This car seems easy to Mod to 600 Hp so why not ? Right now there are several like that for sale.
The car almost seems diabolical like the Monster 930s out there in inexperianced hands.
Kevin suggested a modded 996TT with X50 and more importantly PSM !
It should have been built in from the start.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Boulder GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
A fairly typical remark made by a petrol head on seeing a GT2 waiting to go onto the 'Ring is 'I didn't know there were any uncrashed GT2s left in Germany'.
Good line.

I don't know if it's just selective perception on my part but I've been aware of so many of the uber power FGT's, CGT, Z06, GT2 and the like biting it lately. At nearly every event I'm at 500HP seems to have a high likelyhood of mating with concrete.

Quick Reply: Is a GT2 user friendly ?