Sponsored by:

Is a GT2 user friendly ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
I don't know if it's just selective perception on my part but I've been aware of so many of the uber power FGT's, CGT, Z06, GT2 and the like biting it lately. At nearly every event I'm at 500HP seems to have a high likelyhood of mating with concrete.
I don't know which model Gallardo you have, but the power delivery is pretty benign in that car.

Top end AMGs have a terrible record, especially that SLR thing.

I am usually impressed by how good the Audi drivers are on the advanced driving courses whether on ice or the race track.

R+C
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
96 993
Advanced

I remember a quote from one of the road tests I read about the GT2: "The GT2 is not an unsafe car, but it is not a car for an unsafe driver." I drive mine to work almost every day and it is so manageable. It is a thrill on spirted backroad weekend drives. I love the car. I must admit I was a little anxious when I first took it out. Without respect, I know it wil let me get myself into trouble real quick. But I don't have anything to prove. I'm just having the time of my life. (And I don't need more power for the street.)
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 PM
lebrunseven
Intermediate

Default go for the gt2

I also have been in the seat of my GT2 for over 400 miles - and found car to be very comfortable and fun to drive. the ride is fine, and car is not noisy to the point of becoming annoying. I love the car. Be careful of 2 things-, though- on the offramp, be easy on the throttle or it may get away from you, and remember the car is lower than an ordinary 911- the front spoiler is easy to scrape.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you track your car with PCCB have the right pads othervice it can be expensive
Old 04-21-2007, 06:55 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been in my GT2 for about 1500 medium/hard miles so far.. Well in NY it gets very very boring/tiring driving around in this car with the GT3 seats, Motons, LWFW and clutch, but overall for a car of this caliber and performance i cannot complain and its not too bad!

I absolutely love it and every minute of driving it gets better then the last
Old 04-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Top end AMGs have a terrible record, especially that SLR thing.

I am usually impressed by how good the Audi drivers are on the advanced driving courses whether on ice or the race track.

R+C
Having owned many AMGs, I can attest to the fact that they are great straight line cars and that is about it. Haven't driven the SLR but I have seen them up close and they just don't look any different from other AMGs, just tarted up.

As to the Audi set doing a good job-I used to be a quattro guy and can tell you that they are very easy to drive. You can do things behind the wheel of a quattro that would put you straight into a wall in any other car. I have shifted in corners, braked in corners, applied power very early in corners to 4 wheel drift out of them, all because I could. The only issue that I have is they teach very bad habbits that are hard for many people to leave behind when they go to other cars. Like the 993tt and 996tt, I do things in these cars that I certainly wouldn't do in a GT2 or GT3.

I have to agree with BoulderGT3, 500HP is like a wall magnet. However, it may have more to do with inexperienced drivers buying expensive toys then anything else.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by 96 993
I remember a quote from one of the road tests I read about the GT2: "The GT2 is not an unsafe car, but it is not a car for an unsafe driver."
PERFECT! That sums it all up and hits the nail right on the head...I love it.

That should be displayed in the dash cluster of all GT3s, GT2s, and CGTs on start up. Right along with "unsafe driving will void warranty".
Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Having owned many AMGs, I can attest to the fact that they are great straight line cars and that is about it. Haven't driven the SLR but I have seen them up close and they just don't look any different from other AMGs, just tarted up.

As to the Audi set doing a good job-I used to be a quattro guy and can tell you that they are very easy to drive. You can do things behind the wheel of a quattro that would put you straight into a wall in any other car. I have shifted in corners, braked in corners, applied power very early in corners to 4 wheel drift out of them, all because I could. The only issue that I have is they teach very bad habbits that are hard for many people to leave behind when they go to other cars. Like the 993tt and 996tt, I do things in these cars that I certainly wouldn't do in a GT2 or GT3.

I have to agree with BoulderGT3, 500HP is like a wall magnet. However, it may have more to do with inexperienced drivers buying expensive toys then anything else.
Like anything you adjust to the cars driving characteristics and habits, as well as yours. Comeing from my RWD turbo i was very intimidated because 2nd gear roasted the tires and even a bit in 3rd under boost (meanwhile my 996tt being about 600 hp and over 600 torque never spun the tires being rwd).. With my Motons and some seat time now i have the confidence i did in my turbo, still accelerating out of corners and taking turns very fast but not laying into the throttle and having boost come on hard..

What also makes these cars much more predictable is the LWFW and clutch for throttle response as well as the turbos/ecu, and the Motons but not everyone will do that..
Old 04-24-2007, 11:55 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I know of a very nice GT2 available in Los Angeles...it is seal grey with black and 25k miles. Send me a PM if interested.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 AM
stuka
Pro

I have had my GT2 for 10 months now and have put 9000 miles on it.

It has been to Sears Point 2 day event once.

The front spoiler is consummable. Just buy a ten pack from places like Sunset and keep them in your garage. It does make a difference on the track, put new spoiler on before you track, the front will be more stable than if you drive with a shewed up spoiler.

It is not a car for people without basic RWD car control. I got it because I like getting it sideways coming off the offramp, turning slow speed corners, etc. But if you don't know how to drive a high HP RWD car without electornics, be sure to get some autox done before you track it, it will better equip you to control the car when you get a little too throttle happy.

The stereo is a joke, but I don't care. I have a nice Dynaudio setup at home, so everything else offered in car is just subpar to me. Though I hae to say that the Bose (gag) setup in my departed Turbo was good enough for occasional music. I mostly only use the stereo for talk radio.

The ride is pretty soft by my standard. But if you think BMW M car suspensions are stiff, you are going to have problems with your teeth fillings and kidneys.

I couldn't be happier with mine. And I wish this is what the Turbo still is, like back in the 964 days, instead of a soft **** automatic electornic laden heavy pig of a GT that is has become.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:44 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Like anything you adjust to the cars driving characteristics and habits, as well as yours. Comeing from my RWD turbo i was very intimidated because 2nd gear roasted the tires and even a bit in 3rd under boost (meanwhile my 996tt being about 600 hp and over 600 torque never spun the tires being rwd).. With my Motons and some seat time now i have the confidence i did in my turbo, still accelerating out of corners and taking turns very fast but not laying into the throttle and having boost come on hard..

What also makes these cars much more predictable is the LWFW and clutch for throttle response as well as the turbos/ecu, and the Motons but not everyone will do that..
Totally agreed - Motons and corner balancing transformed the car. Big fun!!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by thusly
Totally agreed - Motons and corner balancing transformed the car. Big fun!!!!
Yes sir, btw you have my ultimate dream garage
Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes sir, btw you have my ultimate dream garage
Thanks! At the same time, out of all the cars, the GT-2 is the most exciting street legal vehicle I have - something about the power, torque, quirkiness, potential drama and uniqueness that the others don't offer (including the CGT!). GT-2 offers the closest excitement to the GT-3 Cup (which is totally raw and exciting).
Old 04-27-2007, 02:18 AM
96 993
Advanced

I've had my GT2 for one year now and it continues to absolutely take my breath away every time I put my foot into it with enthusiasm. It accelerates like my Ducati 996 SPS at full song which seems unreal. It just puts a smile on my face. And it doesn't go away. I had planned on getting a new GT3 when this car presented itself. 12 months later and I wouldn't do anything differently.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Been in my GT2 for about 1500 medium/hard miles so far.. Well in NY it gets very very boring/tiring driving around in this car with the GT3 seats, Motons, LWFW and clutch, but overall for a car of this caliber and performance i cannot complain and its not too bad!

I absolutely love it and every minute of driving it gets better then the last
iLLM3, did you change the stock springs too?

Thank you

Quick Reply: Is a GT2 user friendly ?