Sponsored by:

Track insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Track insurance?

How many of you guys have something that covers you on track?

Guys, I have a buddy that is in the insurance business and he was just telling me about a program he has just started up that offers on-track insurance. I don't know all the details about it at this point but it doesn't seem like a bad deal. It an additional policy on top of your existing policy that covers any on-track incident as long as it is not a timed event. I am sure there are a lot more details than what I have said above. This isn't a sales pitch as I don't know all the details I need to know but more of a post to let you guys know what else is out there if interested.

If anyone wants anymore info on it please contact him directly:

Chris Maume
Snellings Walters Motorsports Insurance
cmaume@snellingswalters.com
Old 03-28-2007, 03:53 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

YES -- I have used LaurelDE for a few years. (No claims, so far ....)

They can be reached at LaurelDE-dot-com [that's a lower-case 'l' before the DE]
(and Sorry for the weird spelling -- the Forum won't let me include a link!)

The guy is Dave Empringham -- a very successful driver (was 5th (I think) in the Daytona 24 this year.)
Old 03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Many, if not most, standard auto insurance policies will cover you for non-competitive events, that is, schools, open track, any non-timed event. If any type of timing for place occurs, the coverage is void. So, his coverage is nothing extraordinary.

The advantage for track-specific coverage would be not having to report it to your normal carrier where you may have multiple cars covered, and see rates go up on everything due to an on-track event.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
How many of you guys have something that covers you on track?

Guys, I have a buddy that is in the insurance business and he was just telling me about a program he has just started up that offers on-track insurance. I don't know all the details about it at this point but it doesn't seem like a bad deal. It an additional policy on top of your existing policy that covers any on-track incident as long as it is not a timed event. I am sure there are a lot more details than what I have said above. This isn't a sales pitch as I don't know all the details I need to know but more of a post to let you guys know what else is out there if interested.

If anyone wants anymore info on it please contact him directly:

Chris Maume
Snellings Walters Motorsports Insurance
cmaume@snellingswalters.com
I wish he could insure my GT3 cup car, they wont insure you unless you have a standard road insurance.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

A couple of comments regarding the posts above, which are incomplete or in error.

1. Laurel DE covers collision only -- NO LIABILITY. I, for one, would rather have the latter than the former: I can afford to self insure my car (meaning its total loss would not create a financial hardship) -- a finite loss -- but my assets are more than I want to have exposed if I were to be sued as a result of an on-track disaster. (Think California Speedway CGT crash -- lots of parties sued regardless of ultimate finding of fault. Also think opposite of finite loss.)

2. Most policies no longer provide on track coverage -- irrespective of whether you are racing or timed -- the exclusions are now predominantly venue-based (on track, regardless of activity), rather than activity-based (i.e., racing). In other words, the policies are now being tailored to exclude DEs and similar on-track events.

THERE IS NO SUBSITUTE (for reading your policy, especially the exclusion and definition sections.)

Wish this were otherwise, Andy
Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 AM
freescopesdad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many, if not most, standard auto insurance policies will cover you for non-competitive events, that is, schools, open track, any non-timed event. If any type of timing for place occurs, the coverage is void. So, his coverage is nothing extraordinary.
This is not true any longer, and you will probably find threads discussing this issue somewhere on most enthusiast forums. The fact is that now almost all companies have specific exclusions for any activities that take place on a race track... whether timed or not. My Allstate policy added this exclusion in April 2005. My agent, who also tracks his car, brought it to my attention. You may find a carrier or two that has not invoked this exclusion yet, but I believe most do. At the time, a total loss of my Miata would not leave me homeless. A Porsche or other more expensive car... that's another story.

Ron
Old 03-30-2007, 02:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,336 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos

The advantage for track-specific coverage would be not having to report it to your normal carrier where you may have multiple cars covered, and see rates go up on everything due to an on-track event.
There have been many people that wished their rates went up. Instead they were not renewed by their primary carrier. That make it difficult to be insurance with other companies.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's apparent I was incorrect in my statement, somewhat out of date. I can only be thankful that my carrier, USAA, still covers such incidents.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

It's apparent I was incorrect in my statement, somewhat out of date. I can only be thankful that my carrier, USAA, still covers such incidents.
If they are, it's because they like you, not because they have to. (In other words, I'm skeptical.) The latest USAA policies I've seen, including my own, clearly exclude DE and other track-related events.

Friendly suggestion: when you get your renewal notice, review any policy changes carefully -- I missed this exclusion (really in the definitions section) the first time around, which was somewhat embarrassing given my background.

Andy
Old 03-31-2007, 01:40 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Frankly, can't find any such exclusion in my policy looking online or hardcopy. I may have misspoken (again) as I'm commenting from my experience with going off-track at Laguna Seca in '05. They covered that to the tune of $18K. Can you cite para for the exclusion? Thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Frankly, can't find any such exclusion in my policy looking online or hardcopy. I may have misspoken (again) as I'm commenting from my experience with going off-track at Laguna Seca in '05. They covered that to the tune of $18K. Can you cite para for the exclusion? Thanks
Sure. It is the definition of "driving contest or challenge" that has changed:

BEFORE

“We will not pay for …. Loss to any vehicle while it is being operated in, or in practice for, any driving contest or challenge.” Form: A400OR(03) Rev. 8-05

AFTER

“Driving contest or challenge includes, but is not limited to: * * * * 2. An activity that challenges the speed or handling characteristics of a vehicle, or improves or demonstrates driving skills, provided the activity occurs on a track or course that is closed from nonparticipants.” Form: A100OR9(05) Rev. 11-05
Old 03-31-2007, 04:01 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Found it. I better be careful.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 PM
pgwilliams
Intermediate

Default DE Insurance

My policy (name withheld to protect my coverage) excludes "any organized or agreed-upon racing or speed contest or demonstration in which your insured car has active participation, or in practice or preparation for any such contest". I don't believe that a DE would qualify, but I hope I never have to test that belief.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Can't find a definition for "speed contest" in my policy or on line. Where was the definition located in your policy?

Last edited by Dave S; 04-03-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 PM
PK996C2
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The last three years I had DE insurance with American Collectors. They sent a letter saying that they no longer offer the policy. Laurel was nearly three times as expensive, ie somewhere around $ 3K. I may still do that but if anyone has track insurance with someone other than Laurel, please say who so I can get a competitive quote. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Track insurance?