Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:54 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Front Spoiler Rivets

Hi Guys

My spoiler is loose, and pops off easily. Did a 140 mph run a couple of weekends ago, and it came very loose. I need to secure it much better.

A couple of places different type of rivets are recommended for attaching the front spoiler. Viperbob recommended the OE part 999 507 427 40, and someone cited a NAPA p/n 665-2388. Do you prefer one over the other?

I have a bag of 999 507 497 40. Are these the standard rivets?

Also, because a reinforcing bar tore out, and made some of my holes bigger, I need to drill a few holes to accommodate new locations for rivets. The holes look to me to be between 5/16" and 3/8". I assume these would be "metric" holes, so 8 mm. Can you confirm, please?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the motorsport ones not the ones offered from your regular dealership.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use aluminum bolts and aluminum nuts with 1 1/2" washers under and over.

I tried the following without success:

a) stock rivets
b) Motorsports rivets
c) additional drilled holes and b)
d) c) and double side tape
e) plastic bolts and aluminum nuts without washers
f) plastic bolts and aluminum nuts with washers
g) aluminum bolts and aluminum nuts with washers

After g) my spoiler has not come off anymore. Remember, I'm used to hit cones.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

What are peoples thoughts around using Silicon to produce a better seal? I saw this on a few GT3's. The Silicon does show so it is not the best cosmetic solution. I have too many air gaps from the splitter getting pulled and pushed back and I was going to apply Silicon bead to fill the gaps. I would think the only downside is I could harm the paint.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
azken
AutoX

Funny that you ask. I just put a silicone bead between the bumper and the splitter this weekend and then took it to the track. It didn't affect the paint at all. If you are running the car at speed and straddling rumble strips the spiltter is a problem. I bought a bag of the screw-type rivets from Austin at The racer's Group. They held much better than the stock rivets. The silicone bead helps prevent air from rushing thru the gap and creating a bigger problem. At least this last weekend it worked great.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Camber
Rennlist Member

I've used no-residue racers tape between the splitter and cover during track events and then removed for street use. Worked well for me. I use the NAPA fasteners too.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 AM
silverstreak996
Banned

Silicone bead works very well. I replaced the splitter with the motorsport version last April and placed a silicone bead between the bumper and the splitter. After 20+ track days last year, it looks like I just installed it yesterday....no gaps.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Azken,
Glad to hear the Silicon worked for you. I think with the Silicon and the screw type rivots from TRG I should be in much better with only a few dollars out of my pocket. However, I can't apply the Silicon for a little while because the tube said 40 degrees and is it 9 degrees now and -9 real feel! Where is spring?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 PM
azken
AutoX

rodneyr,
sorry to hear that, my man. bring your rig on over to AZ, we had to deal with 81 degrees today. I think the silicon and new rivets will work just fine. good luck. BTW, nice color on the GT3.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I use aluminum bolts and aluminum nuts with 1 1/2" washers under and over.

After g) my spoiler has not come off anymore. Remember, I'm used to hit cones.
hehe... I finally decided to go a similar route. I used small (about 3/4" or so) drywall screws. Works awesome and I can rub driveways etc and not have an issue. i DO try o be careful as possible. I did hit a parking block once and managed to dislodge a couple of screws, but just picked a slightly different point and screwed them back in...

not to prettiest install, but you only see it if the car is in the air, so who cares.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:31 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

There are pros and cons to both ways.....

The plastic screws hold well but not permanently but if you rip off the lip the screws give way and the lip just does it's thing.

The more permanent solution is a better flush, solid fit, but you have to risk the downside con that if you rip off the lip you take part of your bumper with it. For that reason I run the plastic screws. Not in the mood to replace or repair a pricey bumper but a $150 spitter is not a big deal if it totally disappears or better yet replace a few $.50 screws.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:32 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Default Help! #%@$!! splitter....

I dislodged the right corner of my splitter and am just trying to reattach about 4 revets. Man, these things are a pain to get pushed back up and attached to the bumper cover - not having much luck.
Any trick to this? Should they reattach easily or does it take a lot of effort?

TIA
Old 04-13-2007, 03:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

They probably got warped from being forced out of shape from the dislodging event. You need to replace with new ones that will go in much easier and flush.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:43 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
They probably got warped from being forced out of shape from the dislodging event. You need to replace with new ones that will go in much easier and flush.
Sounds plausible. Thanks! I guess I'll have to order a couple of pounds of plastic rivets to have handy...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Let's just say I have a bag of them handy at all times

Quick Reply: Front Spoiler Rivets