Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More rear downforce req'd... which spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:01 AM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More rear downforce req'd... which spoiler?

Ok chaps, I need your help. In the long line of various upgrades to the polarexpress, I'm looking to increase the rear downforce on the back. The Mk1 wing was a beautiful design, but even in maximum attack mode as it was, it doesn't offer the level of rear downforce I'm looking for.

Please keep in mind that this car will be used on the road occasionally, but otherwise mostly on track.

So which one...

The Manthey RS carbon? (even lighter than the Porsche RS version and offering greater adjustment + more downforce):

or

the Manthey Signature edition which is bespoke to Manthey and proven in their wind tunnel:

or

the Cup edition, as proven on the race track:

What do you think?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For max downforce go for the Cup. All these are $$$$$$$$.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:07 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cup Wing.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

How do you actually get the cup wing on the Mk.1?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Radical thought - why don't you ask Olaf which he thinks is best for you? Its what's called an informed opinion.

R+C
Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

zoomzoom..you said you will be using the car on the street as well right? this implies reversing, paralelle parking and other annoyances in which case the cup car would probably sit right in your field of vision rearward. The RS wing sits a bit lower in the and apart from being a bit more asthetically pleasing, should offer similar downforce characteristics as the cup wing but with less adjustability (it is the same in length/width i believe and has similar endplates).

just my 2 cents. subscribing to this thread since a good discussion will probably come out of it. What about increase downforce on the front end of the car?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:02 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I like the cup but its pricey as you need a new rear deck lid. Not sure how the others would look on a mk1.

Robin may have a point though. Also what are you going to do to balance the front and avoid understeer?

p.s. you didn't reply to my email!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

dan..in retrospect i dont think front downforce is an issue..lots of pre-facelift cupcars switch to the 2002 up big cup rear wing as in the photo above and with the front spoiler downforce at front doesn't seem to be an issue.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:50 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Omar - I only mentioned that because I thought Manthey only recommend their rear wing with adjustments to front airflow to keep it balanced? I guess it depends how much rake you are running.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ i think that what they mean is that if your going to be using their wing/cup car/RS wing you should run a front spoiler as well because the aerokit front bumper by itself will not be sufficient (infact i believe that by itself it doesn't create much downforce but simply negates lift). Do you have a link to this reading though, i'd be interested to read it over.

cheers

EDIT: Please tell me tehre's an english version of the manthey site somewhere..my german quasi interpretation is good..but not that good
Old 02-24-2007, 05:18 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Nah the Manthey site is all German. The mod I was thinking of was the one to change the airflow through the front and out the top of the bumper RS stylee, but with the rad tilted etc too to do a proper job of it.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
What about increase downforce on the front end of the car?
Originally Posted by DanH
The mod I was thinking of was the one to change the airflow through the front and out the top of the bumper RS stylee, but with the rad tilted etc too to do a proper job of it.
I've already done this to my car, and the effects are noticeable - I think more so on the Mk1 as the Mk1 vents in front of the wheel arches are closed up reducing the negative front lift. Manthey did the conversion with the rads and brakes and front PU, and they claim an extra 17kg over the front end... I would guess it's probably even more, depending on speed.

Front end downforce is not an issue in my car: there is sufficient adjustment in the front geo/suspension (MM KWs) to get the right amount of turn-in.

Even with the curvy Mk1 spoiler in maximum attack mode, there is simply insufficient downforce created at the rear. I suspect this is one of the reasons why Porsche moved to the Cup style spoiler in 2000 on the Cup cars after campaigning the Mk1 spoiler on the Cup car in 1999...

The Mk1 spoiler is not wide enough to capture the airflow over the flanks of the 911, and the lack of wingtips prevents airflow from streaming over the sides during fast sweepers... when you most need the downforce.

Thanks for your input so far fellas - I'm leaning towards the Manthey RS Carbon spoiler as this is something which they recommend as a suitable option for road/track cars and is aesthetically quite pleasing... although do I really want a Cup spoiler instead? They are about the same $$ considering the necessity for a new rear boot lid (CF).
Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
^ i think that what they mean is that if your going to be using their wing/cup car/RS wing you should run a front spoiler as well because the aerokit front bumper by itself will not be sufficient (infact i believe that by itself it doesn't create much downforce but simply negates lift).
That is one of the reasons you need to run at least the Cup Splitter on the front. If you can get the RS front as well AND get the radiator angled properly then that would be the best scenario.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:47 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanH
Nah the Manthey site is all German. ........

try ths - http://www.manthey-motors.de/nextsho...pdf.asp?id=380 it will let you download a catalogue in English for the 996. There are others.

R+C
Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dead eye is correct. The stock splitter only negates lift. The Motorsport lip applies downforce which balances the RS rear wing. The two together are very effective.

Quick Reply: More rear downforce req'd... which spoiler?