Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why always Pagids when chosing pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

29 replaces 19. Using the 14 compound (more agressive) in the rear adds some rear brake bias. The proportionately small front tires on our cars can only do so much. Moving bias to the rear helps use all that rubber out back and improve stopping performance.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
va122
Drifting

Which PFCs did you use???
Old 02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

To be honest I don't recall. I called up PFC, told them that I was using the car exculsively for DE and club racing (no street) and they recommended the compound. The difference between the PFC and the Pagids are the amount of heat they transfer. The RS series pagids use a ceramic coating between the pad material and the pad plate which reduces heat transfer.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
29 replaces 19. Using the 14 compound (more agressive) in the rear adds some rear brake bias. The proportionately small front tires on our cars can only do so much. Moving bias to the rear helps use all that rubber out back and improve stopping performance.
hmm, maybe i should change the rears then
Old 02-11-2007, 08:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
FYI....29's are NOT replacements for 19's. They are different pads. Very similar, but still not the same. As for running 14's in the rear it all depends on what you are trying to do with the car and how you drive it. If you prefer to trailbrake more then you would NOT want more brake in the rear or you sure aren't going to be able to rotate it like you can with LESS bias in the rear. If you prefer more hard core straight line brake action then go with more bias in the rear (a la 14's). This is definitely one of those things that falls in driver preference catagory like tires, etc.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dell and that is why I would love to hear more seasoned guys/racers chime in.

After working with David Murry I have practiced more and more on trailbraking. I feel as if the hard initial bite I get with the RS-14s up front is more of a hinderance to me doing this well than are the RS-14s in the rear.

I felt after all the reading, listening and research I had done that the RS-19s up front were the way to go.

It's just that when the shop that you work with and tracks your progress mentioned that I should give the PFCs a try I thought I should at least listen.

I am also just now putting on new Brembo FH on the front and don't want to be swtiching back and forth between pad material.

I can use all the help I can get.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Yes, technically the 29 and 19 are different. My understanding is that the 29 will be slowly replacing the 19. Here is the info from Pagid...

RS 14 Black - Medium high friction racing compound with high initial bite, excellent release characteristic, very good modulation (controllability) and due to the high ceramic content low heat conductivity. RS14 has a low wear rate and is fade resistant up to a temperature of 650°C (1,200°F). Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, DP, single-seaters, NASCAR .

RS 15 Grey - High friction racing compound with high content of ceramic materials, fade resistance up to 700ºC (1,300ºF). It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. Although the RS15 has a good controllability and release characteristic it needs finesse to avoid over braking the car, especially with lightweight cars or cars with boosted brakes. Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, high down-force single-seaters, NASCAR.

RS 19 Yellow - Best compound for endurance racing on the basis of the RS14. A slight reduction of the friction value improves the modulation (controllability). Nevertheless, the friction value is enough for cars without power-assisted brake system and ensures comfortable low effort on the brake pedal. Constant temperatures up to 600°C (1,100°F) are possible. The combination of friction value, fading stability and low wear rates on pads and discs (rotors) realised with this material is unmatched up to now. Due to its excellent release characteristics and controllability PAGID endurance materials are also often used for sprint races. A multiple winner of Daytona 24h, Le Mans 24h, Sebring 12h, Spa 24 h, Nürburgring 24h, often with no pad change and usually no disc (rotor) change. Application: All endurance racing cars from Group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup), Group A up to GT and Sport-Prototypes (Grand Am DP).

RS 29 Yellow - RS29 combines the outstanding wear rate of the RS19 with a slightly higher coefficient of friction and initial bite. Due to its excellent driveability PAGID endurance materials are also often used for sprint races. Application: All endurance racing cars from group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup), Group A up to GT and Sport-Prototypes (Grand Am DP).
Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have read the pagid info Ed. Exactly where do you get your "udnerstanding" from? Pagid themselves has stated that the RS29 is NOT a 19 but rather a 19 with a higher coefficient of friction. FYI...this was discussed a few months ago. Forgot who confirmed the "rumor" was false that the 29 was to replace the 19 but do a search for the thread and you will find the discussion.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Any one els have an opinion if i should change the rear Rs29 rear..
Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

The info was from Pagid over the summer. I called them to ask about running the RS19/RS14 with my GT3 brakes as compared to the RS14/RS14 I was running with the stock brakes. The RS29 was not out yet and they told me it would be replacing the RS19. Quite likely things have changed.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Any one els have an opinion if i should change the rear Rs29 rear..
Go Kotex. You'll be faster. They have wings.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
9juanjuan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I thought they were "P50", but not sure. The 996 street GT3 comes with "P90" pads, which are in fact painted yellow but they are NOT the RS19's which is commonly referred to as "yellows".
So what's the difference between the "P" number compounds vs. "RS", and where can I find the description for them? The Pagid site doesn't have any information on the P numbers, only RS.

-Juan

Last edited by 9juanjuan; 02-11-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
?...............
Old 02-11-2007, 10:27 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 9juanjuan
So what's the difference between the "P" number compounds vs. "RS", and where can I find the description for them. The Pagid site doesn't have any information on the P numbers, only RS.

-Juan
Unfortunately I don't really know.
Just a thought - "P" is simply for Pagid and "RS" is for race series?
Probably NOT, but hey like I said I don't really know.
What I do know is that the P90's that come on the 996 GT3 stock don't squeel like the RS4-4 or RS14 or RS19. They seem to be much softer as well.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
+1

Quick Reply: Why always Pagids when chosing pads?