Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If tires are NOT directional why would the tread indicate otherwise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default If tires are NOT directional why would the tread indicate otherwise?

So here is a follow-up to my earlier post today about the Nitto NT01 tires. Below is a picture of them all side-by-side as they would mount on the car. There is NO directional marker on the tire other than OUTSIDE and INSIDE. If they are classified as not a directional tire then why would the tread not be symetrical from Left side to Right side? I just find it odd that the "grooves" will have totally opposite groove patterns than the other side. Confused on this one.

Anybody care to shed some light on this?

From the Nitto Website:
NT01 is a D.O.T. approved competition radial with an asymmetrical, non-directional tread pattern optimized for dry racing conditions. Originally with a tread depth of 6/32nds", the NT01 can be shaved to 4/32nds" to reveal a "slick" tread surface with two circumferential tread grooves. The NT01 features a racing-inspired tread compound, steel sidewall inserts, and a rayon carcass; all formulated for on-track performance to deliver extreme cornering power for fast and consistent track times.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Less thinking.

More driving.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Chris, I am going insane starting at all this race gear knowing I have over a month left!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

No problem with that here. It's -20F. (-25C)

Although I did drive a new 997 targa last week with the roof down. Seat heaters were on high.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Holy Mary Mother of God! I would move.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used the NT-01's at a POC event this weekend. GREAT tires. Exactly like the ra-1s but with stiffer sidewalls.

About the grooves, It was raining the first day. The grooves will move water outward when new, but it seems as the tread wears down there will be no difference in directionality.

I could not figure out the right pressures though. Even at 42 psi (hot) rear it was still rolling over.

Granted I did not have a pyrometer but it seems like my 2.4 rear camber is not enough by the wear patterns.

If anyone has used these and can recomed pressures please chime in.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I can't imagine that anything close to 42 is good, rather more like greasy. I assume these are probably going to be in the 36/38 target (F/R). I will defintely play around with them next month at the track to try and dial in the proper temps and pressures.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:12 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It means that there is negligible difference from a rain/standing water point of view. The angles in the tread blocks are probably more for noise. I guess a weak analogy would be Turbo Techno wheels going backwards left versus right.

Below is a pic of my PZero Corsas (stock photo from TireRack). They are both asymmetrical and directional, but you gotta think twice about which way is forward by just looking at the tread pattern.

BTW, those look like fun tires. A lot of the weight is probably in the wheels as well. At the same time, a lot of track-only tires are optimized for weight vs. streetable tires with steel belts that withstand potholes... and drywall screws
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
So here is a follow-up to my earlier post today about the Nitto NT01 tires. Below is a picture of them all side-by-side as they would mount on the car. There is NO directional marker on the tire other than OUTSIDE and INSIDE. If they are classified as not a directional tire then why would the tread not be symetrical from Left side to Right side? I just find it odd that the "grooves" will have totally opposite groove patterns than the other side. Confused on this one.

Anybody care to shed some light on this?

From the Nitto Website:
NT01 is a D.O.T. approved competition radial with an asymmetrical, non-directional tread pattern optimized for dry racing conditions. Originally with a tread depth of 6/32nds", the NT01 can be shaved to 4/32nds" to reveal a "slick" tread surface with two circumferential tread grooves. The NT01 features a racing-inspired tread compound, steel sidewall inserts, and a rayon carcass; all formulated for on-track performance to deliver extreme cornering power for fast and consistent track times.
I bet it all boils down to cost cutting measures. One tread mold with one belt pattern essentially means one tire in multiple sizes. Since it's a dry performance DOT-R, directonal sipes are not key.

MPSCs are no different - asymmetric, non-directional, with an "outside only" sidewall. Flop 'em to the other side of the car and they look like they're going 'backwards'.

I'm sure they could design an asymmetric tread pattern that "looked the same" spinning in either direction, but the angled design probably leads to treadblock stability under high lateral and braking/acceleration G's.

I'm interested in the type of wear and number of heat cycles you get out of those bad boys. As as aside, MPSCs are belted.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Randy, you are welcome to run them at the next event. I'll run a session of black so you can mount them for a "test session" if you like. CMP is only 1 month away!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

I'm interested to hear your opinions about the tires.

I'm going to put on some Rcompounds on my car this spring but up to this point I thought I'd have to go with 19" MPSCs. I just noticed today Toyo RA-1s are available in 18" sizes. I thought they were getting replaced though with R888???

I'm very interested in looking into a set of 18" rims (8.5" fronts, 11" rears - or thereabouts) and some alternate tire choices. The price of 19" MPSCs will take your breath away.

Sorry to hijack. Interested to hear the results though.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,577 Likes on 2,129 Posts

They're talking about the R888 coming to the States in late 2007, I don't know if the Canadian market will get them before US or same time.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

36/38 is great. 2 lb difference is the hot ticket. I simply need more camber in the rear. Crap out another 300 bones for that.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by va122
Crap out another 300 bones for that.

It never seems to end does it?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Dell, or anyone for that matter, have you used the Toyo RA1s or these Nittos on the track yet? If so how do they compare to MPSC?

Quick Reply: If tires are NOT directional why would the tread indicate otherwise?