Sponsored by:

GT3 Seats - Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:13 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 Seats - Installation Question

I'm installing 996 GT3 seats in my 986S.

Did the driver's side tonight. All's fine, except for a problem with the seatbelt. The female receptacle is wedged betwen the rear center console and the seat. It's pulled up as far up as it will go, but it ain't far enough. Anyone know how to address this problem?

Here are a couple of photos...

Last edited by Sean; 01-19-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

thats about where my receptacle is at. it works fine.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

+1
Old 01-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Sean
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. The belt works okay, but it seems like it should go a little higher to avoid scuffing the center console, or hindering the seat's movement on the sliders. But I guess this is properly installed.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:29 PM
guykoken
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the preferred routing of the outside belt was over the edge, not through the slot as you've done, for two reasons:
a. Through the slot creates additional tension on the belt, very bad if there's a collision, and
b. Through the slot will interfere with the additional outside lapbelt of a five or six point harness, if there's any plan to use one, and screw up your ability to engage also the regular belt, which is the only way to stop the reminder gong and shut off the warning message.

Anyone know the routing used by the Factory on the European 996 GT3s?

Richard Bain
Old 01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guykoken
I thought the preferred routing of the outside belt was over the edge, not through the slot as you've done, for two reasons:
a. Through the slot creates additional tension on the belt, very bad if there's a collision, and
b. Through the slot will interfere with the additional outside lapbelt of a five or six point harness, if there's any plan to use one, and screw up your ability to engage also the regular belt, which is the only way to stop the reminder gong and shut off the warning message.

Richard Bain
Just another bit of input. Austin at TRG told me to route the lap belt through the slot, not over the seat edge. Not sure I understand your point (a) tho. Maybe that's the only way to create the necessary snug fit vs. over the top. That seemed to be TRG's view but I have no experience one way or the other so interested in other views.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Richard Bain
I think it's routed correctly, mine is the same way. I'm skinny and over the edge wouldn't hold me securely until an accident threw me forward into it. I have no issue using my harness with it there either. Also, the best way to stop the seatbelt light/gong is to go to a junk yard and pick up a male end from a VW/Audi/BMW and plug it in when using the harness.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:18 PM
guykoken
Instructor

Well, someone is very wrong, and it looks like it might be me. If so so, I put the blame on my mechanic. The only way to find out for certain what's the correct routing is to determine how the belts on the European 996 GT3s ( which as you know came with these seats as standard equipment) were routed.

Would one of our European correpondants who owns/owned a 996 GT3 kindly post the answer here.

Richard Bain
Old 01-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

When I installed mine, there were a number of threads on this issue and someone posted the pics you're looking for.

Have you tried doing a search? Probably a lot of stuff to weed thru.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

I think there was no definitive answer on the lap slot routing, some of the European cars/pics did go through and others didn't. My conclusion was that it did not matter much as long as there weren't any binding/convenience issues, typically with harnesses. I went back and forth with my routing about half a dozen times...

The most important point, though, was to bolt the OEM belt to the chassis, and NOT to the seat.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine are that way and I verified from a Euro spec GT3 photo.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:59 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a pic on the other thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...17#post3787217
Old 01-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Sean
Drifting

Well, today we installed the passenger seat with similar problems with the three-point seatbelt receptacle.

Solution: my friend is going to machine a couple of steel extension pieces, and we'll install these over the weekend. They will extend the seatbelt receptacle 3.5 inches higher. I'll post further photos when they are ready.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
Well, today we installed the passenger seat with similar problems with the three-point seatbelt receptacle.

Solution: my friend is going to machine a couple of steel extension pieces, and we'll install these over the weekend. They will extend the seatbelt receptacle 3.5 inches higher. I'll post further photos when they are ready.
Is that safe? I don't think you want the receiver any higher.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:31 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Richard Bain
One thing for sure, you have to pass the belt at least through the "D" ring or else no use in wearing it. I routed my belts like in the picture and plenty of space left to fit my 3" lap belts. To get the 3 point belt out of the way, you either bring it around and clip it in or get a male dummy like holger mentioned.

I wouldn't add extensions for the receptacles but instead remove the square block spacers on the side where they mount. This is what I did on my 964 since they were stuck against the tunnel.

Quick Reply: GT3 Seats - Installation Question