Sponsored by:

GT3 Seats - Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

outside belt routing: i have seen euro cars done BOTH ways! i dont know what's absolutely correct, but my is through the shoulder hole. it does not interfere with 6 pt harness, i use my harness every other weekend on track.

the inboard side receptacle: you will scrape up the center console, but you can put some fuzzy stickies there. you know those felt things that you stick on the bottom of the feet of your furniture. if you extend it upward, the lap belt will be farther away (higher) from your lap. that's not good.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Concerns about safety are well taken. If it's not safe, we won't do it.

That said, I'm not convinced the present situation is 100% safe. It looks like GT3 seats are designed with a 6-point harness in mind, and their functionality with 3-point belts is an afterthought. I'd install a harness, but everyone says not to use a harness on the street (for good reasons).

I hadn't considered removing the square block spacers, but will take a look at doing so.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:07 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean your belt recepticle does look really cramped in there. Mine has more room in a GT3 RS. Can maybe see that in the pics I posted on the other thread for you.

Euro belts definitely pass through the bucket loop from the factory.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:39 PM
ga911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
I'm installing 996 GT3 seats in my 986S.

Did the driver's side tonight. All's fine, except for a problem with the seatbelt. The female receptacle is wedged betwen the rear center console and the seat. It's pulled up as far up as it will go, but it ain't far enough. Anyone know how to address this problem?
Sean -

We had the same issue when we installed GT3 seats on my 996, so I'm not sure if this applies to your 986.

We figured out that the seat brackets (uprights that bolt to the side of the seats and onto the sliders) are actually biased in one direction, not centered. We uninstalled the seats, put the brackets we had on the driver’s side onto the passenger and vise versa and reinstalled seats. Viola, both seats were pushed out laterally with plenty of room for the seat belt receptacle and would slide with ease.

When looking underneath the drivers side seat, the bracket with the short “L” should be next to the console and the bracket with the longer “L” should be next to the door.

Let me know if this helps.

Patrick
Old 01-21-2007, 03:48 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yeah your seats seem to be on the wrong sides of the car. The handle for adjusting the slider goes towards the tunnel on both sides. It is no that way in your pic. As Patrick stated, the seats are not centered on the slider (very noticable when you try to install the substrap bar).
Old 01-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Sean
Drifting

Patrick, I think you have identified the problem. I bought these seats from a PCA member in New York. He told me that he'd previously installed them on the wrong sides (driver's vs. passenger's) ... so the proper driver's seat was on the passenger side, and vice-versa.

When I installed the seats in my car, I returned them to their proper driver's/passenger's arrangement -- but didn't realize the seat brackets were biased in one direction. So I bet those brackets are reversed.

Bob, the driver's seat had a Brey-Krauss fire extinguisher bracket affixed, which I've removed for street use -- that's why the slider adjustment handle is missing.

I will remove a seat tonight and check the brackets underneath. Thanks for your replies!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Sean
Drifting

Just a quick follow-up post...

Patrick was correct. The seat brackets, being biased in one direction, had been reversed by the previous owner. This was causing the poor fit. We swapped brackets and the fit is perfect. Now the seatbelts are aligned and the seats slide smoothly.

Thanks to all who helped. Another Rennlist happy ending!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 PM
ga911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sean

Thanks to all who helped. Another Rennlist happy ending!
Glad I could help out.

Quick Reply: GT3 Seats - Installation Question