Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak... and should I go for a single mass flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Do you know what version of RMS they're installing this time? If they haven't already you might want to suggest they go back to the older 964/993 style that is nearly impossible to screwup during the installation.
I'll ask which type they are using. They were talking about measuring the crank and the case.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them use the 997 P/N latest design, not the earlier ones, trust me been there, twice.

And, no question, go for the LWFW. And don't listen to all the noise complaints. Mine is barely audable and seems to be getting quieter over time.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can´t wait to test mine out
Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RayGT3
Have them use the 997 P/N latest design, not the earlier ones, trust me been there, twice.
Based on the dates (August) of his last install it looked like they already had, even installing one backwards. The older style are more difficult to damage/screwup during an installation. In addition to requiring a completely dry crankshaft and seal the manufacturers (Kaco and Victor-Reinz) of the newer seals also recommend that you "do not start the engine earlier than four hours after installation." Porsche recommends an hour? but the OE seal material might be different which could possibly explain the different time requirements?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Wolfgang_K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, thanks a lot for all these helpful hints.

I read all different postings now on the LWFW and it seems the way to go. I'll check with my dealer on how they handle the warranty.

One question/confirmation I have left: What's the 'minimum' of parts needed for this LWFW change? Is it a must to change the clutch to the RS piece also (mine has just 8k miles on it and I do not want to replace a perfectly working part)? Or is it sufficient to change only the flywheel itself (and a few other things like bearings and the starter ring) and reuse the clutch?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Flywheel and ring gear plus associated hardware. May want to do the friction plate depending on condition, mileage, etc. Everything else should be fine.

Jason, don't feel too bad they put 3 seals in backwards in mine before they realized this crank case works backwards from 996.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'm one of the few that has had the RMS replaced twice. The first time they used the standard part, the second time they used the part from the 993. Been dry ever since... (knock on wood).

IMO, the LWFW is an excellent upgrade. Do it while they're in there and you should only have to pay for parts.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

I must hold the record at 5 or 6 seals, lost count. But seems to be OK now. To Porche's credit they did stay with me and resolve any issues. They genuinally wanted this fixed and did the very best they could. There was a lot of teeth gnashing and frustration by all but all's well that ends well.

Quick Reply: Oil leak... and should I go for a single mass flywheel?