Sponsored by:

RS wing install a DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thats not right... You need the metal retaining arms to properly mount the wing. I'd find out from the vendor where the proper retaining arms are before removing the ones from your original wing.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 71 Posts

I am getting one of these very soon. Is there a big difference in quality between the Porsche wing and the aftermarket wing. I am leaning with the Porsche one but maybe I can save some $$ on this.

Thanks.
Chet
Old 01-12-2007, 04:46 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Mine came from the dealer with its own set of retaining arms. I believe it's all of a piece with the OE p/n. Is yours an aftermarket unit? If not, you've been shortchanged. Maybe an aftermarket unit does not include the retaining arms. Hard to believe, though.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
pmjt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say - but as per the other posts - mine came with the retaining arms in place - I looked at a stock unit at a Porsche dealer here in the UK and it ALSO had the retaining arms in place - you might want to check with the vendor - sorry to not be more positive.

Let us know how you get on

Philip
Old 01-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For the Porsche unit, the retaining arms are installed during manufacturing - always.

To add the mounts afterwards on an unknown product is not advised. If the mounting surface was not properly reinforced during construction or the mount is not secured well enough, the wing could tear away at speed and have catastrophic effects:
1. Contact with anyone (car/motorcycle etc) near you.
2. You may loop and damage your own car, and/or collect someone else at high speeds.

The Porsche unit is $2475 (might have to add PDX +~230) and will function, perform, and last as it should. There are also shims available in preset cuts 4 degree and 8 degree for inducing more downforce. Also recommended, Cup Car front splitter, always in stock at $149.

We have seen no cracking or peeling of the clear coat on the carbon fiber, and the weave is absolutely perfect in layout.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:04 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're screwed...at first look I thought the bracket was secured to the wing by several torq screws...but the interest in this thread made me take a closer look...the bracket is held to the wing by several rivets (and this is the stock wing...the rs wing may be fastened differently)...why anyone would drill those out and remove the brackets is beyond me....better think about a factory RS wing.... here's a pic...

Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john0719
I've just received my very long awaited carbon fiber RS wing. The install looks fairly simple but I just want to make sure with those who have done the installation themselves. Anything to watch out for? TIA for any suggestions.
Most of us who have replied here already have the RS wing on our cars, but you'd be doing other forum members a service if you were to name who sold you this piece. Looks like we should avoid whoever it might be.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree, my factory wing came ready to mount. I think it would be very hard to try and attach the brackest properly for strenght and alignment. I would return that one if I was you.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Wolfgang_K
Advanced

My aftermarket wing from DP Motorsport (Germany) also came ready to mount. I would definitly avoid to modify your stock part and drill out the rivets....
Old 01-13-2007, 11:27 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine form Austin and he his always right. If that wing comes off at speed you will just be along for the ride. High speed corner nothing good will happen.
Write this off as a life lesson. You were fuc*ed. If you can not find someone that will guarantee that the wing will not fail in writting...It would make a nice shelf in your garage.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:35 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

Just a thought, but the wing is very vunerable to theft....

Gulp!
Old 01-28-2007, 07:16 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g3tcs
Just a thought, but the wing is very vunerable to theft....

Gulp!
I think it'd be easy enough to filch, but haven't heard of any taken. I've traveled up and down the West Coast, staying at hotels, motels, and B&Bs, and haven't had a problem (yet).

Quick Reply: RS wing install a DIY?