Rear End Out of Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:48 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts
Default Rear End Out of Alignment?

I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help me out with this one.

I've had the GT3 for 3 months now. I had an alignment done on it about 1 1/2 months ago with 2 big track days under my belt and a couple autocrosses. I was on a freeway bridge today with a large expansion joint hev (sp?) that jolted the car. The bridge is a concrete left hand sweeper transitioning to another freeway.

I was at 70-80% throttle at a speed of appx. 70-80 mph (low revs, 6th gear, but accelerating to get the most of this turn). I don't know if it's the bridge or it's only in my mind after I hit the expansion joint, but I could have sworn the back end of the car did not hook up as well (it just didn't feel planted like it normally does) and the back end felt as if it was swaying back and forth -- like being at the top of a tall skyscraper in a wind storm.

Immediate I thought I might have knocked the alignment out of whack and I need the toe links (I know I will eventually need them, but I just had the alignment done last month).

On the way back from my errand, I was on a different bridge with a right hand sweeper (concrete surface as well). Speeds were at 55-60 mph with appx. 25% throttle (low revs, not accelerating, but keeping a steady speed) as I was careful. Again I felt a swaying back and forth, but not as pronounced as the left hand sweeper (keep in mind the high speed on the earlier sweeper and the fact I was accelerating).

I have never been on the two bridges before with this car, so I don't know if the surface or sections have a peak and valley affect that was causing it.

Question: Could I have thrown the alignment out of whack on an expansion joint?

Is this all in my mind? Anyone else experience this?

There has been a whole lot of discussion on the toe links. Are the RS links the ones to go with?

Vic,

You said that you were at Willow Springs on turn 9 (high speed right hand sweeper) and you felt the back end give out and thought you would hit the wall right? Did you ever investigate what went wrong?

Thanks in Advance for your thoughts and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL FOR 2007
Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pete,

If the car doesn't feel stable everywhere, most likely the alignment is off. The car should feel rock solid. My car used to lose the alignment in 2-3 weeks. A few times the alignment was off just driving from the alignment shop.

Bring the car to alignment and get a reading before making any adjustments. That will tell you if you have problems with the toe eccentric bolts sliding.

Every time I brought my car to alignment, the rear toe was all over the place, rear camber was also far from last adjustment, front camber was kind of stable, and front toe was off as well.

The GT3 Cup or Tarret Toe links will help to reduce the problem.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:52 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow NJ-GT advise..... I have experieced all the frightening experiences you describe. All caused by misalignment ...
Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete,

Never really did get down to the actual cause, but someone right behind me said they saw my right rear at a weird angle. I went back to the place that did my alignment and they said it wasn't off but probably due to the tires (PS2) getting greasy. IRRC. And softened up the rear sway bar (2 off full stiff). For more mechanical grip I'm guessing?

Honestly, it spooked me. I'll probably get the toe links for piece of mind. I guarantee you I will not be on track with street tires again.

Let me know what happens.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

PS2's getting greasy on the street? I run PS2's on the track and they are AWESOME. There is no way I will move to sticky tires (Cups, Slciks, etc) till I really learn this car. I am, however, doing the toe arms this winter before the next DE season.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Try some sweeping turns on level ground and smooth pavement; what you experienced could have been due to side winds on the bridges. In any event, get the Tarret toe links.
Richard Bain.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:39 AM
RK1
Instructor

NJ-GT,
Who is the best shop to do this work on the east coast?

K1
Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RK1
NJ-GT,
Who is the best shop to do this work on the east coast?

K1
You might want to narrow down your search area a bit.
Toe links are easy to install. Alignment is a different story.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:23 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

K1, down in the D.C. area you have TPC. Great shop.

I was doing my alignment at Jon Groom Racing, but he has decided to close the shop, abandon the successful Racing team and move to the Left Coast to a place called the Wine Country (???).

I've to call Jon to see who he would recommend me from now on. Definitely it has to be a Race Shop.

Farnbacher-Loles up in Danbury, CT is a great shop, and Spencer *** is such a nice guy.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:32 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
PS2's getting greasy on the street? I run PS2's on the track and they are AWESOME. There is no way I will move to sticky tires (Cups, Slciks, etc) till I really learn this car. I am, however, doing the toe arms this winter before the next DE season.
Dell,

He was talking about getting greasy at Willow Springs, the fastest road course in the west. Turn 9 is a super fast right hand sweeper that leads onto the front straight.

Personally I don't like the PS2 on track. I've been on track with and without the PS2 and there really are night and day. The car is capable of so much more with the cup tires. I was at Phoenix International Raceway in October and the PS2 were only good for 3-4 laps (their sweet spot) because they heated up so much with 90 degee ambient temperatures.

I'll have to take the car out today and find good level asphalt sweepers to test. Life is hard when you own a GT3.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:58 PM
va122
Drifting

Thanks Pete,

Yea, sorry If I was unclear. PS2s are fine on the street.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM
va122
Drifting

Duh left rear. Need coffee sorry.

Oh, what bridge are you talking about? I could try it and let you know if I experience the same thing.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vic,

I was 54 westbound transitioning onto the 805 South in Bonita. On the way back it was 805 northbound onto the 54 east in Bonita. The directions of travel have different bridges that go over the river.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We recommend and replace the toe links + rear shock tower monoballs. The collective will remove most of the rear end unwanted alignment changes. If you're using the stock springs with the rear shock tower monoball upgrade, you'll also need spring hats (add $135).

The entire package
Controls toe changes under acceleration, braking and cornering
Controls camber changes from upper shock mount flex
Controls caster changes from upper shock mount flex

There is no jarring ride added to the car, it will feel more connected and sure footed.

-TRG Toe Arms, for 996, Boxster and 2005 997. Heim Joint and rod adjustable toe links. Includes bushings for subframe attachment. Eliminates rubber bushing at eccentric and adjustment via eccentric. Controls toe changes under acceleration, braking and cornering. $490/set Estimated labor time 1.5hrs.

-GT3 RSR toe arms. The new ones are updated to the dual heim joint style. The ball joint end has been replaced by a heim joint and special bolt for attachment to the wheel carrier. Additionally, the inboard heim joint has finer threads to allow more precise toe settings, and eliminates rubber bushing at eccentric and adjustment via eccentric. They require 4 pieces of 996.331.373.9A, (bushings) for the inboard heim joint. Package $915.64 Estimated labor time 1.5hrs

-TRG Rear Shock Mount Monoball set, includes shock shaft busings for either 12mm or 14mm shock. Direct bolt on, no modification necessary, estimated labor time 2-2.5 hours. $495
Attached Images   
Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Dell,

He was talking about getting greasy at Willow Springs, the fastest road course in the west. Turn 9 is a super fast right hand sweeper that leads onto the front straight.

Personally I don't like the PS2 on track. I've been on track with and without the PS2 and there really are night and day. The car is capable of so much more with the cup tires. I was at Phoenix International Raceway in October and the PS2 were only good for 3-4 laps (their sweet spot) because they heated up so much with 90 degee ambient temperatures.

I'll have to take the car out today and find good level asphalt sweepers to test. Life is hard when you own a GT3.
And my 150mph sweeper at VIR is slow? I never said the PS2 was better thant the cups. Of course, the cups are better. I was just commenting that the PS2 is probably the BEST street tire I have tracked to date. I will definitely move to the cups when I learn the 3 a bit more. Now, I haven't tracked the PS2's in "hot" temps yet so I can't comment just yet on that.

Quick Reply: Rear End Out of Alignment?