Sponsored by:

GT3 & GT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:09 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 & GT2

I love the visceral nature of the GT3, precise handling, etc, and may be in the hunt for one soon; however, I've noticed that the price of a 2002 GT2 seems to be hovering around 100k now. I've not driven the GT2, though I know there are differences after the 02 models -- suspension and engine changes. Two questions. One, is the driving experience of the earlier or later GT2 as visceral and involving as the GT3? Two, is the 02 and ealier model GT2 dramatically different than the later one -- 03 and on? I'm really wondering if an 02 GT3 would give the thrills of the GT3, only with much more tunability.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:14 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default GT3&2

Having recently gone from 996TT to GT3 to GT2, I'd say that the GT2 retains much of the GT3's handling precision. However, due to the different engine characteristics of the torquey turbo motor vs the hi-rev GT3 motor, the driving experience is changed. The GT2 has a much more precise feel than the standard TT and is significantly lighter but it does not quite have the primal feeling of the GT3. Granted, all of my cars were modded over time for more power and improved handling dynamics but the essential character of the cars remained. I really liked my 3 but I'm now beginning to appreciate what the GT2 brings to the table. Between the two, some have said the 2 is a better street car and the 3 a better track car. I'm not quite at the same conclusion yet since I have not taken the 2 to the track yet, but can understand the rationale. The improvements in power and suspension calibration (the rest being cosmetic) on the mk2 cars are significant if you intend to remain stock and can purchase at a great price. However, these cars are so mod friendly, you'd be missing out on a lot of performance if you did not optimize the platform a bit from stock. If you mod, the mk2 changes are easily surpassed and not worth a significant premium in price IMO. At any rate, these cars are great buys these days, modded or stock. The last of the raw, minimal driver aid Porsches. Watch the coming 997 GT2 prices, specs and resultant fallout. With only about 300 shipped here over the last 4 years, the 996 GT2 might be a keeper.

Last edited by NelsonF; 12-28-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:43 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm keeping a close-eye on the GT2 prices. Right now low mileage cars are selling for around $100k. As soon as Porsche releases the 997 GT2 specs, they might take another hit.

In my opinion, that's the Porsche bargain of the decade. If the 997 GT2 price goes beyond $180k, I might be on the market for an older/wider/forced induction Porsche.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. Of course, I meant to say, "I'm really wondering if an 02 GT2 would give the thrills of the GT3, only with much more tunability."

Is there any reason to choose an 03 or 04 model GT2 over an 02? If one is planning to tune the engine and/or tweak the suspension anyway, why pay the premium? I understand the 03s are commanding a bit more money.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:59 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Default jlr

The mk2 comments mentioned in my response above are with regard to the 04 and 05 GT3 vs O2 and 03 which were considered Mk1. Again, the basic changes on Mk2 vs Mk1 were the upgraded power via ECU tweak, suspension calibration changes and cosmetic differences such as carbon wing, outside mirrors, boot intake grill and GT3 type wheels. My opinion is that if you were going to stay stock, the Mk2 was preferable if you could purchase without a significant premium. However, if you were to mod as do many owners, the MK1 is the way to go, since the best deals can be found on these cars. Further, there are a number of very well done modded GT2's on the market that are terrific values today. I also commented on the 2 vs 3. I do not think the 2 quite offers the visceral handling qualities of the 3 as it feels a bit heavier and does not have the high reving motor with that great aural quality from 6-8k rpm. However, it does offer significantly more torque and handling that can be made to feel very close. The GT2 is faster on the street and in good hands, on the track. The 3 feels more precise and optimized for track outings.

Last edited by NelsonF; 12-29-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

That makes a lot of sense, and makes me lean towards the GT3. In a sports car, I generally value agility and steering precision above all else. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:22 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Nelson F,

Do you regret making the change from your GT3 to the GT2? GMG is having a track day at Willow January 24th.

JCM

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Default 2 v 3

Hi John,

I don't regret making the change. I just miss my 3, especially with my particular setup. It was a special ride. The 2 definitely has a steeper learning curve- especially one modded for more power like mine. Since I've been itching for a 2 for a few years, I quickly made the decision to change when I found the right one. I will take my time learning this beast as I have great respect for it's potential. My goal will be to be able to comfortably exploit it's capabilities the track. Once I am able to do this with confidence, I sense the rewards will be greater. Let me know more details of your Willow session. I will try to schedule it.

Last edited by NelsonF; 12-29-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Nelson,

I am looking forward to getting my RS, so I can have the best of both worlds. They usually have about 30 cars (more than I like). I will also let you know next private day we do (we limit to 12 cars).

Here is the link:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68434

JCM

Last edited by supercup; 12-29-2006 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: GT3 & GT2