Any USER feedback on Toyos R888 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
Dell,

Can you be more specific on the P0 slicks..I'm seeing D3, D4, D5, D6 etc...

-Dan
D3, D4, etc just referring to the compound (hard to soft)

I run the D5 in front and the D4 in the rear.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,345 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Hello my name is Dell and I'm an addict.

Your too funny. I still remember the post when you said you would wait 2 seasons after getting the GT3 before you progressed from street tires to r comps so you could learn to drive this car. Now your on to slicks. You know what the next step is don't you? C U P C A R

How do I put "Hoosiers" on ignore whenever it comes up?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Pete, I think calling me an addict makes addicts look bad. I have crossed over to the point of no return.

In all fairness, the Nitto NT01 wasn't exactly a MPSC or R6

FYI.....no cup car for me. I can't see ever getting rid of my current 3. Especially after the money I have sunk into this track *****
Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I wanted to revive this old thread. I am looking at buying R-Compunds for the track, and am deciding between MPSCs and R888. I currently run MPSC and like them. Mooty is a huge fan of the R888s, so I fugure they are worth a look.... From other posts, the best vendor for the Toyo R888 is Bob Woodman in SC. Their price for all 4 standard-sized tires is $1100 plus shipping. Buying MPSC from TireRack comes out to $1248 plus shipping. Where is this huge cost savings?
The huge cost savings are perhaps only relevant to the UK where Toyos are about 1200 USD vs Cups at about 2400 USD. Michellin are taking the **** here
Old 02-20-2008, 03:29 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dell what tire pressure in Pirelli are you going to drive? I bought D3 for new season and I m looking forward too..
Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i am toyo biased, i konw, it's not that obvious LOL.
some may argue that mpsc is faster.
but if you want COST effective, i can say with zero hesitation that full tread R888 is much more bang for the buck then mpsc no matter how you cut it.
Isn't full tread a bit squirrely like the RA-1? For me it took at least a few sessions to work in the RA-1s to produce grip. MPSCs are great from new. I found MPSCs had better turn in and better overall grip than the RA-1. Mind you that was going from the Carrera S to the GT3 as well.

The only thing I don't like about MSPCs are their lifespan. R888s are about the same price as MPSCs for me. If they last a lot longer I'd be willing to give up a little grip.

I am going to resist the crack. A friend of mine went through 12 or 13 sets or R6s last season (April-Oct). I don't want to pay for that kind of grip.

To get back on point, should the R888s be shaved to almost achieve the same grip as MPSC or are they good at full tread depth? Lifespan vs. MPSC?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by LVDell
Pete, I think calling me an addict makes addicts look bad. I have crossed over to the point of no return.

In all fairness, the Nitto NT01 wasn't exactly a MPSC or R6

FYI.....no cup car for me. I can't see ever getting rid of my current 3. Especially after the money I have sunk into this track *****
You NEED a cup car.

I'd have a buyer for your car.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, I wouldn't even pay extra to get them shaved. Last year Chris R. started the week-end at Calabogie with a fresh set and by the 3rd session, the "squirrelyness" had already gone away. Just the fact that you can cord them and not count the heat cycles, is a huge advantage. I plan to run toyo or nitto all summer long and not bother with two sets of wheels.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by CWay27
Chris, I wouldn't even pay extra to get them shaved. Last year Chris R. started the week-end at Calabogie with a fresh set and by the 3rd session, the "squirrelyness" had already gone away. Just the fact that you can cord them and not count the heat cycles, is a huge advantage. I plan to run toyo or nitto all summer long and not bother with two sets of wheels.
RA-1 or R888???

The Heat Cycling is annoying. Maybe because I never keep track of it. At Calabogie it isn't much of a problem because the track is so grippy but at Tremblant I got scared running a set of obviously heat cycled out MPSCs. I had Touchette put on a new set at lunch and all was great again.

I think I'm going to give the Toyos a try. Now what size .... ???
Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris was on RA-1s and I herd R-888 were even better. Are you still running BBS Lms or did you get Fikse from Touchette?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
The only thing I don't like about MSPCs are their lifespan. R888s are about the same price as MPSCs for me. If they last a lot longer I'd be willing to give up a little grip.
+1. I'd like to hear the answer to this question as well...

WRT slicks - I would be screwed. I have an addictive personality as it is... The track would turn into my own personal Vegas Roulette Wheel if I sampled it...

(But I SOOOOOO want to see how the car feels on slicks.... yeah baby!)

-B
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by CWay27
Chris was on RA-1s and I herd R-888 were even better. Are you still running BBS Lms or did you get Fikse from Touchette?
Still got the LMs. I've been thinking of getting another set of wheels but haven't done so yet and have been trying to resist. I have some stuff I really should do around the house that's going to take a few bucks. That's why I was asking about the Superleggera IIIs. I can get them for 1/2 the price of a set of BBS Motorsport wheels. Fikse aren't cheap either.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This will be my 3rd weekend on them. They show less wear than the RA1's at this stage. No need to shave them. I've flipped them from side to side, zero perfomance issues. Not squirly with full tread. Great experience with them.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
This will be my 3rd weekend on them. They show less wear than the RA1's at this stage. No need to shave them. I've flipped them from side to side, zero perfomance issues. Not squirly with full tread. Great experience with them.
Any experience on Sport Cups? If so, how do they compare???
Old 02-21-2008, 12:19 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Any experience on Sport Cups? If so, how do they compare???
No, I've been afraid of them. I have a friend with a C4 that had them and they kept picking up way more rubber off of the track than usual and didn't have good performance results. He changed them after one weekend. Other guys like them and have had good results....but so far for me, Toyo has a great product.

Quick Reply: Any USER feedback on Toyos R888 ?