Sponsored by:

GT-3 Seats - Lumbar comfort

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 AM
live2shift
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT-3 Seats - Lumbar comfort

I realize much has been written about changing out stock seats for Porsche GT-3 Seats, but I have a specific question on them. My lower back really doesn't like seats with pronounced lumbar support. Stock Porsche seats with no lumbar adjustment are pretty flat in the lumbar area, but I find the stock seats with the lumbar adjustment feeature bulge too much into my back. This small amount actually hurt even when set on the lowest setting.

It is risky to buy seats without sitting in them, and I havn't found an owner locall to me with GT3 seats in Mass/NH. Can anyone who has the seats in their car tell me if the seats have much lumbar support or is it pretty flat in that area of the seat. I prefer a really flat lumbar. thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Euro GT3 buckets are flat in the lumbar area.

The US GT3 seats ('sport' seats), have a little lumbar support, but not much at all IMO (non-adjustable).
Old 11-20-2006, 11:20 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to a speed shop and sit in a Recaro pole. Same seat with regards to the shell. The harness hole are different but that's it.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:35 AM
guykoken
Instructor

The GT3 seats have no lumber support but for a thin, small pillow which is attached to two parallel velcro strips accessed by pealing back the seat back cushion. I believe the pillow can also be placed under the seat bottom, which also can be pealed back, and that there are velcro strips there too. On the back, you can position the pillow by moving it up or down and on the seat forward or rearward, and you can also remove the pillow. I use both pillows on the driver's seat and none on the passenger seat, and no passenger has as yet complained, but that could be due to my driving!

Richard Bain
Old 11-20-2006, 02:43 PM
live2shift
Advanced

LOL Richard, nice comments! Thanks for the detail sounds like they should fit me well.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
go to a speed shop and sit in a Recaro pole. Same seat with regards to the shell. The harness hole are different but that's it.
I think the PP's are a bit wider than the GT3's, no?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

The link at the website, below, says the PP's are the same shell as the GT3 seats:

http://www.i-m-racing.com/recarogt3seat.html

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think the PP's are a bit wider than the GT3's, no?
- curt
Old 11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Originally Posted by curtsm
The link at the website, below, says the PP's are the same shell as the GT3 seats:
I wonder if they are referring to the maximum outside width (for purposes of seeing if it will fit inside a car). I'm pretty sure the PP is wider for the rump. The PP also comes a little higher up around the thigh for more support...
Old 11-20-2006, 11:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just found a pair of GT3 seats on sale at Suncoast Porsche:
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=WS
Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by live2shift
It is risky to buy seats without sitting in them, and I havn't found an owner locall to me with GT3 seats in Mass/NH. Can anyone who has the seats in their car tell me if the seats have much lumbar support or is it pretty flat in that area of the seat. I prefer a really flat lumbar. thanks

You'll be fine, there's very minimal support from the existing cushion. It fits direct to a fiberglass back (the seat shell). If necessary you can run without the cushions.

For those needing more support, small towels folded and placed strategically help a lot.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Of course it's better if you can sit in them first, but for me, I found them much MORE comfortable than stock seats. The seat bottom is 2 sections which are held on with Velcro. The back is 1 piece and also held in with Velcro. They come with 2 pads each seat which also have Velcro. You can put the pads anywhere to adjust the contours or not at all. For me, I found no pads was best. With no pads, it is a little too flat, but not so much that I'm worried about trying to stick in a towel/etc. for 3/8" more or whatever. I have a messed-up back, and the seats are great for me for support as well as providing extra headroom and legroom. Oh, yes, and they are fantastic in the corners.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:12 PM
boqueron
Pro

I have the Euro GT3 on my car. Two herniated disks... It works perfectly. I like them much more than the "normal" sport seats.. Also, the longest trip I have done has been 250 miles...!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:00 PM
live2shift
Advanced

Thanks for all the great comments guys, I ordered mine today!!
Old 11-21-2006, 11:03 PM
MrClean
Instructor

Funny, I came to this forum for this EXACT thread!

I just bought a Cayman S and the sport seats are bothering my lower back due to the pronounced lumbar support (slipped vertebrae).

This is the second time I have heard supportive feedback to the GT3 seats for people with lower back problems.

Now I need to go buy some.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:45 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, the seats are actually pretty comfortable. They are not that comfortable getting into and out of them due to the high side bolsters. The back and lower cushions are removable and have a good amount of padding as indicated above. There is also a small lumbar support cushion that is included as indicated above. The really nice thing is since it is easy to access the lumber cushion area, you can buy inflatable lumbar custion for about $30 a side and install them behind the cushion of the seat. This can provide all the support you will ever need.

Quick Reply: GT-3 Seats - Lumbar comfort