Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**UPDATED WITH PICS** Finally!!!! Dell is a GT3 owner!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:32 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,225 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Congratulations, they are awesome cars. Use it well.

One helpful tip once you get it on the track. Make certain that you unwind the wheel from the apex out. Many drivers are not used to doing that. GT3s do not take kindly to being pinched, and they accelerate out of the corners much faster than most any other car, hence you must increase your arc, or the car will "pinch itself" due to it's aceleration. That is a main reason that so many new GT3 drivers seem to ding their cars right out of the box.
I hadn't heard that before, Larry. Any other good tips regarding this model?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I hadn't heard that before, Larry. Any other good tips regarding this model?
I guess that the other one is to make certain that the guy who aligns your GT3 knows what he is doing and has track alignment experience, and then be very friendly with him. If your car feels squirrelly at all, chances are the rear alignment is off. Unfortunately, a number of guys who track these cars have found the the eccentrics move under load, and they need to have it redone every half dozen events or so. That is one of the reasons that some have gone to the Cup Car rear links. They eliminate the eccentric adjustments, and use a "slip-proof" turn-buckle arrangement. One final item is to run RS-19 Pagid brake pads. There are other brands that may work, these will work.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:24 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,225 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Yes, I definitely took the advance of alignment issues. I brought it to a shop where the owner operator used to be a crew chief with Alex Job Racing. I have one event under my belt, but it was with street tires.

Pads and fluid changes will be next in the off season before the Feb. start up. Once again I listen to the others on this Forum about the RS19's, but have heard a good combination is the RS19's up front and RS29's (black I think) in the rear for more rear end bias. Any thoughts? Is it better to go with yellows on all 4 corners or yellow and black? Will the back end have more of a tendancy to swap ends under threshhold braking?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
So, Dell - Is it a daily driver? How would you compare it, overall, to say, my car? Also, aren't you afraid to drive these things on the track? I mean if you were to total it, what do you do, commit suicide?
Oh Gant, silly boy, these cars are made for the track. Seat time and respect for the car will avert the dreaded accident.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Congratulations, they are awesome cars. Use it well.

One helpful tip once you get it on the track. Make certain that you unwind the wheel from the apex out. Many drivers are not used to doing that. GT3s do not take kindly to being pinched, and they accelerate out of the corners much faster than most any other car, hence you must increase your arc, or the car will "pinch itself" due to it's aceleration. That is a main reason that so many new GT3 drivers seem to ding their cars right out of the box.
Larry, I learned that in my first DE new car new track. Out of the turn and slight elevation drop at exit hard on the throttle and too slow unwinding the steering. No damage..couple of loops in grass runoff. Things happened quickly!!
Joe
Old 11-19-2006, 08:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by icon
dell,
now you got me jealous on the indoor parking!
how many spots do you have in that new castle?
love the new avatar
Thanks Jeff! I use that as my desktop as well.

Well the garage is a 3 car but there is work area and an exterior mud room that eats up one of the spots so the Cayenne sits outside and the Z is stored in the trailer when not in use.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:30 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Oh Gant, silly boy, these cars are made for the track. Seat time and respect for the car will avert the dreaded accident.

Just be carefull out there dude!!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Pete, the RS19 as well as the RS29 are Yellow's. The RS29 is the new enurance pad. The RS19 is the older version.

Black are the RS-14. The RS-29 just has a little bit higher friction coefficient as well as a bit more bite.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Just be carefull out there dude!!
Oh I will. Trust me. Last thing I need is the wife kicking my tail in for wrapping up this car into a crushed tin can. I love the car too much to risk that. However, I will still push it and learn as much as I can.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Dell,

I also am fairly new to the GT3 fold as I bought Jerseybean's well sorted machine about 2 months ago. I have had her at 4 track events since and will finish up the year with you and the Carolinas group in two weeks. I too will be running in Red so I look forward to running with you there.

I utilize Synergy Racing right there at VIR as the gurus to help me with the car set up. Greg Jones and the crew there are awesome and the time I had with one of their drivers, David Murry, at their Fall Fling really taught me a lot about these cars and I would love to share the info with you.

See you then
Old 11-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Dell,

Bob Rouleau and Mike K. are pretty knowledgable as well concerning GT3 setup. Bob mentioned running two different Pagid pads front to rear to improve front brake rotor lifespan. More aggressive on the rear is what I seem to remember.

Chris.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Dell,

Bob Rouleau and Mike K. are pretty knowledgable as well concerning GT3 setup. Bob mentioned running two different Pagid pads front to rear to improve front brake rotor lifespan. More aggressive on the rear is what I seem to remember.

Chris.
Yeah, that's true, but I would hold off on things like that until you learn the car. More rear brake can make it very tricky to trailbrake, and these cars like to be trailbraked in the slower turns.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thanks Doug!

When is your TT anticipated to arrive?
I should have it in July. I can't wait.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Dell:
Thank you for the additional pictures. What a SWEET ride!. Speed Yellow is inescapably the best color for the 996 GT3, no question about it! I can see that the "Pepper" has been delegated to "lesser" street parking and hopefully doesn't get jealous of the new baby in the house

Cheers.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:15 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Many congrats Dell, nice looking car. At least now if we pass each other in and around Cary, I'll recognize you.

BTW, I used to have a yellow sports car... no one notices you. Be prepared to be ignored.

Hey - question for you I've been meaning to ask, how do you guys run the cab on the track? Did you have to get a special rollbar to fit under the cab roof or what?

Michael

Quick Reply: **UPDATED WITH PICS** Finally!!!! Dell is a GT3 owner!!!!