Sponsored by:

Bless me for I have sinned..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bless me for I have sinned..

I’ve got to come clean, after 13 911’s and having never owned a Corvette I bought a C6 Z06 last week. I know that they aren’t popular among the GT3 crowd but I like the car. For all the complaints about the interior I don’t think it’s bad at all. I had tracked one at Spring Mountain but had never driven one on the street. Really pleasant on the on the street. About as much drama as a tt. I’m ashamed to admit it but he throttle really is a guilty pleasure. A few of big disconnects compared to the GT3. The first is the precision of the steering and the overall package. I swear with the GT3 the old line about running over a coin at 100MPH and being able to tell if it’s heads or tails is true. I think it’s me, but in the Z06 I can’t tell if I ran over a manhole cover. Another thing is that even though I have a fair amount of track time in the Z06 I still can’t feel the corners of the car like the 911. I don’t know exactly where it is like I do in any 911. I think that is probably my issue though. The last thing is a very narrow gate between 2nd and 4th. I’m just not comfortable with the fast downshift. A miss with as much drag as the engine has could be extra thrilling. Net, net. You can tell the years of development in the Pcar but the Z06 is more than capable and it’s a fun change of pace.

I’m keeping the GT3 and the only reason I’ll sell it is to buy a cup car. Glad to have the confession out.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:42 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Let's see some pics. No sin....as long as you keep the 911 too
I'd be interested ,after the DE season, in your observations of the two cars.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:49 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the new Z06 and if so...get rid of the sh*tty GY runflats and replace w/a real tire and it will be a whole new world for you!
Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Both are great cars. Nice choices.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

It's hard to beat the performance bang-for-the-buck of a Z06.

The only one I've been in wasn't moving at the time and my first impression was how horrible the seats were, sort of like a lumpy old couch. What's your feedback on this?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Holger B
It's hard to beat the performance bang-for-the-buck of a Z06.

The only one I've been in wasn't moving at the time and my first impression was how horrible the seats were, sort of like a lumpy old couch. What's your feedback on this?

The run flats will come off at the track for some R compound somethings. I haven't figured out what yet. That might give me the touch I'm looking for. I’m not a MPS fan either so any car that goes on the track needs new shoes.

No real comments on the seats. They seem a lot firmer and cut for a smaller *** than the C5 Z06. I have the euro GT3 seats in the GT3. After that, a street seat is a street seat if you know what I mean. Even though it’s fast as hell, you don’t sit in the Z06 and feel as track ready as my GT3 if that makes any sense.

I've got 3 days in a Z06 on the track at Spring Mountain in Pahrump. I doubt there will be many surprises at a DE or time trial. The RF's actually hold up pretty well as long as you're not sloppy. The brakes are great. Short of a GT3 but better than a tt. For me, the GT3 is easier to drive fast but I think the GT3 is a pretty easy car to drive fast.

I don't know about the bang for the buck but I do know it's got a lot a bang period.

While I take complete responsibility for my actions there is a bit of a "rest of the story". I bought it with 1000 miles on it from a guy I've become friends with in Las Vegas. He's one of the few people I've known that could and did get any Ferrari from Ferrari at any time but thought the whole mystique thing was overblown. He was diagnosed with a severe nervous system disease that will limit his life. Knowing he's short, in the past 5 years he's raced F2000's, drove a 900lb streamliner 396MPH at Bonneville and tracked about every car you can think of at the limit. He bought the Zo6 on a lark. Sadly, he's slipped to the point where he can't drive it. Part of the reason for me to pick it up was so he wouldn't have to deal with the sale. And I wanted one for variety.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Boulder my pal has run a C6 Z06 on track this season. Wickedly fast car. That's the good news. The bad news ... he has never finished a track event. Major problems with brakes in spite of upgraded roors and carbotech pads. Problems with the TPMS forcing him into limp home mode. nly tires that fit are Hoosiers, problems with them rotating on the rims. Car needs to be carefully inspected and many bolts need to be tightened after every track day. No roll bar for the car. Special seat and mount needed because of the speecial aluminum chassis. Long story short, he is buying a GT3.

YMMV and I hope it does.
Regards,
Old 10-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Charests' have had all the same problems. Never made a whole weekend at full speed. I think they are hoping for a brake and tire fix for next year.
Last weekend Russ said he ran a 1:48 before his Hoosiers ran out of stick. J.F. did a 1:48.0 in my GT3 , with me along for the ride, and he doesn't like the set up. That's the fastest time I've ever heard of in a GT3.
Guess you guys called it quits early. Rain and ice pellets are not the ideal conditions to be running on a set of worn Cups.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, beats my best time by over 2 seconds. Guess that's why he gets paid to race. Was that on cups or slicks?

Yeah we gave up after it started to snow. Too bad was hoping for a better last day.

Russ has given up on the Z06. Spent most days watching and being frustrated. Can't say I blame him. Nice car but not up to track. Fast too. Noticed Charst havng the same brake tire and TPMS issues. Dumb system and you cannot turn it off.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Boulder my pal has run a C6 Z06 on track this season. Wickedly fast car. That's the good news. The bad news ... he has never finished a track event. Major problems with brakes in spite of upgraded roors and carbotech pads. Problems with the TPMS forcing him into limp home mode. nly tires that fit are Hoosiers, problems with them rotating on the rims. Car needs to be carefully inspected and many bolts need to be tightened after every track day. No roll bar for the car. Special seat and mount needed because of the speecial aluminum chassis. Long story short, he is buying a GT3.

YMMV and I hope it does.
Regards,
Bob,

My friend had run a Gt2 on the track this season. Major problems with the PCCB's. No problem, Porsche stood behind them. No, wait, they didn't stand behind them at all. Thank God it was cheap to fix out of his pocket

Who know's how it will work out? For no more than I'll track it, probably fine. The ones at Spring Mountain run fine with little work day in and day out. I wouldn't use it for a primary track ride though. Hence, the search for a cup or hanging onto the GT3 I mentioned.

Tom

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 10-15-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That was on Cups with my fat *ss in the passenger seat. We only went out for about 6 laps. The warm up lap was a 1:53 ( I think ) and he pretty much knocked a second a lap off every lap ( Carl gave me a transponder for the day). I'm pretty sure he could get it down another second or more.
Best time I have ever heard of is a 1:50 flat.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
The run flats will come off at the track for some R compound somethings. I haven't figured out what yet. That might give me the touch I'm looking for. I’m not a MPS fan either so any car that goes on the track needs new shoes.

the vette guys seem to like kumho v710s.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

kumho are great tires..v710 ... I wish they had the proper sizes..

How does the Z06 do against the GT3?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:08 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Bless me for I have sinned
father, please have mercy on this lost soul!
he hath descended into the valley of z06!
catholic huh?
how long have you w/ held this confession my son?
it's all starting to make sense now.
made up the problem at the porsche dealership as cover?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Z06 - from what I have seen personally, The Vette is faster than a GT3. With way more power and the same weight, it comes as no surprise.

Rgds,

Quick Reply: Bless me for I have sinned..