Sponsored by:

Chrono package on the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:48 PM
dennisdesouza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrono package on the GT3

Hi Guys. I have a White 997 GT3 on the way (Feb delivery) and the dealer here in San Diego (Pioneer Centers) informed me that my car could not be ordered without the sports chrono package! I ordered it without and when the paperwork came in the mail the salesman hand wrote on the sheet that it is madatory. I called him (nice guy by the way) and he stated that when he put the order in the computer the system would not allow him to order without it. Anyone out there having the same issue and is this accurate? Any benefit from the Chrono since I am getting it anyways?

Thanks, Dennis
Old 10-08-2006, 11:08 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisdesouza
Hi Guys. I have a White 997 GT3 on the way (Feb delivery) and the dealer here in San Diego (Pioneer Centers) informed me that my car could not be ordered without the sports chrono package! I ordered it without and when the paperwork came in the mail the salesman hand wrote on the sheet that it is madatory. I called him (nice guy by the way) and he stated that when he put the order in the computer the system would not allow him to order without it. Anyone out there having the same issue and is this accurate? Any benefit from the Chrono since I am getting it anyways?

Thanks, Dennis
That's BS. You can order it anyway you want it. Sports Chrono is an option. I order mine w/ the option originally but later modifiy it and ended up removing the option. Sound like they're forcing you to accept what ever they want.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 PM
dennisdesouza
Intermediate

I would think that would be the case but he insisted that it was mandatory. I am going to give another gingle tomorrow. What is the Chrono Package anyways? I think it looks bogus on the dash and a bit pissed if I am forced to get it.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:08 PM
dennisdesouza
Intermediate

Default Discount on GT3

Hi guys. I was reading a previous thread that stated that the dealers may even discount the GT3??? My dealer appears to be trying to force me to take the Chrono package and if others are getting discounts I am definitley going to play hardball with the dealer.... Any thoughts???
Old 10-09-2006, 07:26 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

I paid MSRP for Oct build...but it's BS that the Sports Chrono is mandatory..I ordered without it. The sport mode (Button) is standard!!! The only thing the Chrono package gives you is a big ole hunk on the dash
Old 10-09-2006, 07:38 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
I paid MSRP for Oct build...but it's BS that the Sports Chrono is mandatory..I ordered without it. The sport mode (Button) is standard!!! The only thing the Chrono package gives you is a big ole hunk on the dash
Agree! I deleted my option as of yesterday. I'm going to pay MSRP on Dec build. If these guys keep giving you BS, dump them. Play hardball!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 AM
RK1
Instructor

Thats BS,
I just configured a GT3 on Porsche USA site and you can order one without it.

Kevin
Old 10-13-2006, 03:04 PM
tngemmill
3rd Gear

Pardon me, but aren't you buying your GT3 primarily for the track? If so, how do you plan to measure your performance without a lap timer? In my opinion, the Chrono Package (and Chrono Package Plus with the PCM option) is the greatest thing since, well, since timing and scoring. Also, consider that deleting it from your order may make the resale of your car difficult, reducing its value. Before I finalized the order of my GT3 I reviewed every option available in detail. You should too. Otherwise, why not buy a Carrera S, and save the difference? You don't need Chrono for the street.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:05 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tngemmill
Pardon me, but aren't you buying your GT3 primarily for the track? If so, how do you plan to measure your performance without a lap timer? In my opinion, the Chrono Package (and Chrono Package Plus with the PCM option) is the greatest thing since, well, since timing and scoring. Also, consider that deleting it from your order may make the resale of your car difficult, reducing its value. Before I finalized the order of my GT3 I reviewed every option available in detail. You should too. Otherwise, why not buy a Carrera S, and save the difference? You don't need Chrono for the street.
Probably just the opposite. Anyone taking it to the track would use something like race-technologies or G2 eXtreme for data aquisitiion (true racers probably something more serious). Porsche only gives you lap times (and thats if you remember to press the button at the same place on the track each lap). Data Loggers provide Gforce, throttle/brake postion, GPS track overlays, speeds at different parts of the track, etc, etc.... And you can pick one up for only a few hundred more dollars than the Chrono package. I don't race (only do DEs) but opted not to get the sports chrono on my GT3...instead I'm getting http://www.g2xtreme.com/hardware/components.htm for less than $1,000
Old 10-13-2006, 07:51 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

well i have had previous expeirence with the " laptimer" it is basically usless on the track period.. i have run alot of laps on the track the way you have to hit the splits as you drive is a poor set up ...it IS the last thing you should be thinking about while driving....

get an aim system or one of my favorites i use other then full aim system ( for cars track and street driven) is the new trackmate system ..works on gps cigerette lighter plug in will show track layout on computer screen lap times, braking zones shift points g forcescan overlay laps on top of each other

save the effort of the lap timer porsche gives you it is pretty lame
Old 10-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by tngemmill
The Chrono package is a toy for people who dont know any better - ring any bells?

Have you thought of buying a Cabriolet, it might be more YOU

R+C
Old 10-14-2006, 11:28 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some would say the 911 is a toy!
Old 10-14-2006, 03:59 PM
tngemmill
3rd Gear

Of course, the whole GT2/GT3/GT3RS concept, cars and options, is one big toy. Now if you went racing with a Cup/RSR car, you might be a serious racer, but for me it's about having fun. Dare I say I'm also ordering my new GT3 with the PCM, Sound Package Plus, and leather... and PCCB, etc.

OK, let me have it... I don't mind the sunroof either.

PS: In answer to R+C's question: I only buy coupes these days... for safety reasons (and the reduced weight). I sold my last convertible (1967 Ferrari 330GTS) in 1978.

Terry
DE Advanced/Instructor Group, Kent, WA

2007 997 GT3 Coupe (on order)
2002 996 C2 Coupe X51, X74, Brembo GT (bought new - heavily modified)
2001 996 Turbo Coupe (bought new - sold)
1995 993 C4 Coupe (bought new - sold)
1989 964 C4 Coupe (bought new - sold)
1976 930 Turbo Coupe (bought in 1983 - sold)
Old 10-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Sports Chrono is a joke, ask anyone who's ever used one at the track. Until they make one that syncs up with a trackside beacon, it's accuracy is questionable at best. Seems like they should really call it "Track Poser", since no one who tracks on a regular basis would find it of any value.

As far as resale, it would be a big negative in my mind.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:13 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i just got back from dealer ordered my gt3 ... built it the way i want with no chrono BS ... cant wait till dec delivery!

Quick Reply: Chrono package on the GT3