Sponsored by:

Help again with brake parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
bigsky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help again with brake parts

My GT3 with Red steel brakes has front retaining pin with a bolt on the inside. The dealer tells me this is the part for ceramics not the steel brakes but my calipers are Stock Red Steel brakes.
In addition the wear sensors on the car seem to be the same front and rear but the dealers states the sensors for front are smaller diameter than fits in the brake pads.
In addition, he tells me that I should have vibration plates with large weights but these are no where to be found on the stock brakes
The dealer is very helpful but I can't imagine that my GT3 is the only one out there with these parts.
Anyone who can help with part numbers or knowledge of the brakes would be very helpful
Thanks,
Bigsky
Old 10-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lightbulb

Bigsky,
It's a huge list of part numbers to create. I understand you predicament, so from one Rennlister to another, give me a call tomorrow during the day and we can make sure your dealer is getting you what you need. I can fax over screen shots with part numbers. It's too much to take time to enter in here and list, probably why there wasn't a response on the other post.

Austin
Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 AM
bigsky
Instructor

Hi Austin,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I wasn't thinking about how big it would be to tackle this. I read Bob Rouleu's DIY post where he mentions the bolt on the front retaining pin and thought my car must not be the only one with steel brakes and the retaining pin with the bolt. I was also hoping that perhaps someone may have had the correct part numbers from an order they placed.
I purchased some seats from you in the past and you were great to work with then and great now to offer your help now.
Since the dealer is very cooperative and since it is such a large undertaking, I will simply work it out with him.
Thanks again for your help,
Bigsky
Old 10-04-2006, 12:51 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsky
My GT3 with Red steel brakes has front retaining pin with a bolt on the inside. The dealer tells me this is the part for ceramics not the steel brakes but my calipers are Stock Red Steel brakes.
You shouldn't have any problems reusing these but just incase;

996-351-959-11 (front caliper)
996-351-959-01 (rear caliper)

In addition the wear sensors on the car seem to be the same front and rear but the dealers states the sensors for front are smaller diameter than fits in the brake pads.
The brake pad wear sensors are the same but the front calipers require a clip (999-507-464-40), there is also an additional cable holder (944-612-627-00). Both can be reused.

In addition, he tells me that I should have vibration plates with large weights but these are no where to be found on the stock brakes
The "weights" are ceramic zirconium inserts that thermally decouple the pads from the caliper but I'm not sure if they started with steel brakes during MY05 and on ceramics (M450) in MY04 or if they were there on the steels in MY04? Hopefully you still have them because you can't buy them separately. There are also additional "spider" stick-ons for reducing noise/vibration. For the front you will need two of 928-351-917-00 (44mm) and 951-351-917-00 (36mm). On the rears you'll want two of; 951-352-917-01 (30mm) and 951-352-917-00 (28mm).

Since the dealer is very cooperative and since it is such a large undertaking, I will simply work it out with him.
Your dealer has a nearly 100% markup on these parts so there is some wiggle room on price. Even with the added expense for shipping it will usually make sense to order from Austin@TRG or Sunset Imports in Oregon. In addition to saving a LOT of money you'll get the right parts the first time around.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 PM
bigsky
Instructor

Thanks Jason for your help.
I have the tension spring kit for the front 996-351-959-11 but these have the typical retaining pins with the clips to hold them in place as opposed to what is on the car which is a retaining pin with a bolt on the inside (as per Bob Rouleau's DIY post). My car has the stock Red brakes w/ steel rotors yet the specified retaining pin is different than the part listed in the PET. Additionaly, the hole in the front pads which the retaining pin goes through is a larger diameter than the retaining pin with the clips which leads me to believe that the retaining pin with the bolt is indeed the correct part. Help?
The damping plate 996-351-089-00 is also no where to be found on my car yet listed as being on my car. It seems that perhaps they added it to later my 2004 GT3's? I don't understand how it fits on the brakes and it's purpose. If they thermally decouple the pads from the calipers, should I retrofit them on my brakes? Is this possible? Where do they attach? Wouldn't they add unsprung weight to the front brakes and is this overcome by their benefits?
I am just trying to understand how these work and why my car (factory stock) is different than the parts listed in Porsch'e PET.
Thank you for any light you can shed on this situation.
Bigsky
Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bigsky,
There are various innaccuracies in the Porshce PET and other areas part numbering and packaging. The brake hardware kits for the GT3 listed in PET had this problem. Have your supplier provide 996.351.959.30 for the caliper spring hardware kit (bolt/spring) on the front calipers.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:58 AM
bigsky
Instructor

Austin, thanks for the explanation and part number it should be very helpful.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
Bigsky,
There are various innaccuracies in the Porshce PET and other areas part numbering and packaging...996.351.959.30 for the caliper spring hardware kit (bolt/spring) on the front calipers.
So the regular MY04 GT3 calipers use the M450 hardware?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

sure enough, it's the way it's listed in PET, same front caliper, same front hardware parts, different powder coating.
The early Euro 996 GT3 cars with the 4 piston caliper use the other one from what I recall. It's been awhile though.

Quick Reply: Help again with brake parts