Sponsored by:

New GT3 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 06:05 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GT3 owner

Tonight I drove a 2004 GT3 for the very first time and as the title has suggested, it all worked out and it's now mine.

Before I hopped in the car I had a rough idea of what to expect, but there is nothing like driving one for yourself. My previous Porsche (never-ending project car) is a 1975 914-6 conversion with a 3.0 911 SC engine. Funny thing is that with all I've read about how loud and rough the GT3 is supposed to be, it's quieter than my 914-6 and is about as rough riding. However my 914-6 squeaks a lot going over bumps. The GT3 is built a wee bit better.

As you can imagine, the GT3 is quicker than my little hotrod, but not by a ton. At least around town anyhow. I'm also spoiled by the fact I bought my wife an SLK32 AMG a few years ago and that's a fast little car.

So we can bomb around in the more "civilized" SLK for those times that require that and when I'm feeling the urge to have a little fun, the GT3 can come out to play.

Sometimes life is good.

The GT3 has only factory options including PCCB and sport seats. I'm going to leave the car "as-is" for now until I learn more about it. I haven't spent that much time in 911s so I have a lot to learn about rear-engine cars. Many moons ago I learned what happens when you lift in a corner at high speed in a 914. I'm not doing that again. I'll be a good boy and learn how to drive this car safely. I plan on taking some driver's ed events and perhaps autocross and Solo I. I did some autocross back in the 90's and found it's a great way to safely learn about your car. Our car insurance up here doesn't seem to cover track-type events so I'm a little concerned about putting this car in a situation where I have to count on other folks behaving. It's bad enough on the street, nevermind overzealous teenagers in their Honda Civics with fart cans and neon lights driving out of control on a track.

Oh yeah - no pic, didn't happen, right? Sorry for the poor pic, but it was dark when I finally got home. I also had to clear a massive space in my shop to make the GT3 fit. Gotta build a dedicated woodworking shop one day. In the meantime, my wife's car and mine can talk to each other and poke fun at the 914-6 under the cover (and all that junk).

Cheers,

Allan
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and enjoy! It sounds like a nice car and will provide many fun filled miles.

I had an SLK32 back in the day and it was a blast! I little point and shoot missile, in fact. Bought it after owning a C36 AMG for a daily driver and bought the wife a C32 AMG after the SLK32 went away for her daily dirver. Everyone should have an AMG in there garage.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Good choice. Enjoy.

Holy Moly. There's a 914 in that garage too?

Quick Reply: New GT3 owner