997 GT3 PCCBs - Are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Does the 997 GT3 use the same brakes as the 996 GT3 or did they change, as on the 997 GT3 cup?
The 996 GT3 steel has
350mm F
330mm R

The 997 GT3 steel has
350mm F&R

The 996 GT3 PCCB
350mm F&R

The 997 GT3 PCCB
380mm F
350mm R

Also of note for the 997 GT3:
Newly configured brake force distribution now conveys even more brake power to the rear axle right from the start when applying the brakes.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't there cup rotors out there that would be the ultimate non-PCCB setup, at some fraction of the cost of PCCBs?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 618 Posts

Stedge,

Yes. Contact Viperbob. He is a G-D when it comes to these cars.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmag
OK, I know the question has been asked a zillion times, but I've only got 2 days left to make changes to my Oct build. Not asking the benefits of Ceramics, more first hand track experience. I don't mind spending the $8800 up front, but more concerned with the replacement cost. I'm going to use the GT3 as a daily driver plus about 30-40 track days a year (3,500 track miles and 6,000 street miles a year).
Wait a minute; only 100 miles per track day? What kind of track day is that? You going to VIR? That's about 30 laps a day. You need to be DRIVING that thing, man; I put in that many miles before 9:00AM!

If that is how your track days are, go ahead and get the PCCB. They will last forever.

Current Setup:
MPSC
Schatz Alignment
Cup Brake Ducts
Brembo Floating Rotors (front)
RS Flywheel/Clutch
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Cloth Seats
Sabelt Harnesses
Center Console Delete
Old 08-30-2006, 03:22 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

db,

Race Organizations let you on the track with the Techquipment bar??

If so which ones?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:44 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

I guess if you call Jack's group a race organization, then, yes.

Really, I don't know which one would. I don't wanna race my pretty car, just have lots of fun with the boys. When I'm ready to race I'll get the cupcar or something even faster.

What are you driving right now?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:10 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Wait a minute; only 100 miles per track day? What kind of track day is that? You going to VIR? That's about 30 laps a day. You need to be DRIVING that thing, man; I put in that many miles before 9:00AM!
Yea, East coast PCA clubs are always packed events. Usually only 3-4 25-30 minute run sesions a day

Yea, been to VIR a few times. Did Watkins Glen for first time this year. Man is that a sweet track!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:30 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmag
Yea, East coast PCA clubs are always packed events. Usually only 3-4 25-30 minute run sesions a day
That's why I avoid those PCA ***** like the plague; or any crowded, beginner oriented event for that matter. I think my wife is right, I realy have become a primadonna. Oh well. More track time means more fun.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 PM
jbeanstalk
Advanced

What about the unsprung weight difference? I understand the ceramics are significantly lighter - those of you who have driven identical cars with both setups - you couldn't tell ANY difference?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:31 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Red face

What are you driving right now?
Nothing fun and exciting.

Jacks group is a race machine!!!!

FYI, just watch out for those pesky little english cars. They are funny looking but fast.

I dont know what I want. I am getting tired of buying cars only to sell them a few weeks later and lose the sales tax. I need to get a dealer license like the Wattster.

I have an Oct build M coupe and might take that on a 1 yr lease. That way I get the car, but dont have to spend the sales tax. I just sold the M3 race car and lost $20k in 8 weeks. Worst financial move I have ever made. I kick myself every day for it

I am just confused and need to be put out of my missery

I also have been unemployed for a bit. I sort of like it, but the wife really wants me out of the house. I think I am getting on her nerves.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

Yeah, Jack is the man. A true gentleman who just wants us all to be able to drive like men. He's the Dad I should have had growing up. I swear he is at the track as much as Craig. I can't keep up with all of the days he puts together, but I try.

As for the Lotus bunch, there are a couple of quick guys who run with us, but still can't really hang with a properly driven GT3. Usually about 5-6 seconds slower per lap at Buttonwillow(unless its Lou driving and then its about half that difference). Jack took delivery of the blown Elise, which should be a fun one to watch. I think he is going to unveil it next week.

Now I remember looking at your M3 race car web page; that thing is hard. Why did you sell it?

What ever you get, dont do what Watt did and get the Chevy, that thing is a lame duck. Last time we were at Buttonwillow the new owner showed up with it; the motor decided it didnt want to run anymore after about four laps or so. No one could figure out why it died and it ended up getting flatbedded all the way home. Of course the GT3's just kept getting stonger throughout the day; even as we logged over 100 laps. Ah, the joys of this beautiful machine; Porsche really got it right on this one.

Current Setup:
MPSC
Schatz Alignment
Cup Brake Ducts
Brembo Floating Rotors (front)
RS Flywheel/Clutch
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Cloth Seats
Sabelt Harnesses
Center Console Delete
Old 09-05-2006, 09:47 PM
On Pole
Racer

Default PCCB

Gen 1 and Gen 2 PCCB

The v2 PCCB brake rotors have 400,000 carbon fiber bundles. Which has been increased from 3,000. This leads to much more longer life. A new lost core forming process aids in production which will ultimately lower costs for replacement.The rotors with their new arcus internal design allow less frictional air movement internally. So that at 200km/hr more 250 litres of air per second. This is a 20% increase in efficiency over the old PCCB's
. So:
TAKE A GT3 WITH 381BHP
takes only 14.3 secs to go from 0-200km/h(124mph). The new PCCB v.2 only takes 5.4 secs to DECELERATE form 125mph to zero! That equates to max brake performance of 1,200 HP!

http://www.sglcarbon.com/sgl_t/brakedisc/index.html#
Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,960 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Originally Posted by On Pole
The new PCCB v.2 only takes 5.4 secs to DECELERATE form 125mph to zero! That equates to max brake performance of 1,200 HP!
Yes, but don't the "free" iron brakes do about the same?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:30 AM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

PCCB Gen One are hopeless mine failed after 15,000 (mainly road) miles on my GT2...Porsche are of course blaming me! The carbon surface of the disc separated from the underlying silicon carbide and destroyed the pads (which were approx 60% worn) after approx 40 miles.I have reported this to the UK Department of Transport as a saftey issue as Porsche UK are totally uninterested - other than confirming that even brand new pads can be destroyed in 120 miles once the surface of the disc has failed. There is no warning other than the pad replacement light illuminating (indicating 1/3rd of the pad remaining at that time).

I hear that the Gen Two PCCB wear almost as quickly when hot...so beware!!
Anyone with a similar story please contact me at paulrothwell@mac.com
Old 10-08-2006, 10:31 AM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

Default PCCB Gen One WARNNG SAFTEY ISSUE

PCCB Gen One are hopeless - mine failed after 15,000 (mainly road) miles on my GT2...Porsche are of course blaming me! The carbon surface of the disc separated from the underlying silicon carbide and destroyed the pads (which were approx 60% worn) after approx 40 miles.I have reported this to the UK Department of Transport as a saftey issue as Porsche UK are totally uninterested - other than confirming that even brand new pads can be destroyed in 120 miles once the surface of the disc has failed. There is no warning other than the pad replacement light illuminating (indicating 1/3rd of the pad remaining at that time).

I hear that the Gen Two PCCB wear almost as quickly when hot...so beware!!
Anyone with a similar story please contact me at paulrothwell@mac.com

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 PCCBs - Are they worth it?