Sponsored by:

GT3 v Elise S2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M3Pete
The first time in a GT3 I was apprehensive. Now that I think about it, the choice of words I would use when driving a GT3 is "a healthy dose of respect".

I hope this helps in your decision making.
I will second this and then some!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:19 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having gotten my SCCA competition license racing Formula 2000 continentals I can tell you any Porsche or street production car for that matter will feel like a Mack truck in a comparision. I had hoped to transfer some of the knowledge/expereince gained in formula to my Porsche, but to no avail-they are night and day. The formula cars are light, fast, and the downforce, especially at speed, is incredible. The entire expereince is visceral. Even my highly modified, 2200 lb 911S3.6 track car is nothing like it. Can't give you any reference to the Lotus except to say my 911 stomps them pretty regularly. Ifn I was going to buy a new sports car it would have to be lightweightthough, like the Elise, regardless of brand. Unfortunately, for the cost of going formula racing on any consistent level, you could own a GT3!

Hope this helps you,
///Nick
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

i had both.
feels very different. elise is about handling and nothing else. gt3 is more well rounded. gt3's power allows you to cheat. you can come to standstill in corner and pwr out. if you do that in lotus, well... you be awfully slow. if money isn't a constraint, i would take gt3 over elise (and i love elise). however, it takes a LONG time to drive GT3 well. i am far far from it. in terms of maintenance, GT3 is not bad. in fact pretty cheap. however, if you track A LOT, like 20+ days a year, the consumable are VERY EXPENSIVE. buring one set of mpsc or a set of pads is no biggie, but when you start chewing 6 sets of mpsc, 8 sets of pads (front and rear), tons of rotors blah blah... it really add up very quick.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I did have an Federal Elise, have driven a GT3, have owned a 997S, and now a 93 RS America. I affirm what others have said. The Elise is great for the subjective experience of wringing it out on a very very tight road or technical course. However, despite its decent 0-60 times, it just does not have the high/mid-range power and torque to make it very speedy at the track. Assuming equal drivers, a GT3 would nail it every time on most courses, as would a Boxster S or Cayman S. Maybe a different story in autox or on an incredibly tight section of road. Fun car though. I miss mine sometimes. I'd take the GT3. It's a great track toy, and -- guess what -- it's also a real car.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:10 AM
superbigfo
Rennlist Member

One car that would be worth looking at is the Ariel Atom. It is a open wheel road going car. They weigh around 1000lbs and have the option of a 300hp upgrade. Though I dont know about how easy one is to obtain in the US. http://www.arielatom.com/ said to be faster than the carrera GT (on Top Gear). They run around 50k depending on options. Maybe a little extreme but deffinantly a neat car.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:13 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911S3.6
Having gotten my SCCA competition license racing Formula 2000 continentals I can tell you any Porsche or street production car for that matter will feel like a Mack truck in a comparision. I had hoped to transfer some of the knowledge/expereince gained in formula to my Porsche, but to no avail-they are night and day. The formula cars are light, fast, and the downforce, especially at speed, is incredible. The entire expereince is visceral. Even my highly modified, 2200 lb 911S3.6 track car is nothing like it. Can't give you any reference to the Lotus except to say my 911 stomps them pretty regularly. Ifn I was going to buy a new sports car it would have to be lightweightthough, like the Elise, regardless of brand. Unfortunately, for the cost of going formula racing on any consistent level, you could own a GT3!

Hope this helps you,
///Nick
Thanks for the info!

Formula 2000 is same as the Formula Renault / BMW?

As I know, there are F1, F2 (F3000) and F3. So what is F2000?

How to get the SCCA competition license?

You mean ONE year cost of going F2000 racing is equal to own a used GT3?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:58 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Thank you for all the inputs...

Ariel Atom is awesome, but too extreme for road use.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I saw an Ariel Atom driving south on Hwy 1/PCH in Half Moon Bay on Monday afternoon.
Funny to see someone driving a "car" with a helmet on. First one I've seen on the road. The other one I saw was being trailered to Thunderhill (maybe the same car?).
Old 08-11-2006, 12:24 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Brave person to drive an atom on US roads with so many huge SUVs and trucks around!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
wlittleman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Holger B
I saw an Ariel Atom driving south on Hwy 1/PCH in Half Moon Bay on Monday afternoon.
Funny to see someone driving a "car" with a helmet on. First one I've seen on the road. The other one I saw was being trailered to Thunderhill (maybe the same car?).
I saw one at Thunderhill during the July 8/9 weekend. From what I initially saw, build quality looked top notch. I didn't even think you could drive an open wheel car on public roads. The driver wasn't in my run session (Intermediate), so I never got the chance to see it in action.

The only think I thought was that it needed a more substantial roll bar, perhaps even a cage.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
KMW
Rennlist Member

I prefer the GT3, but I'll take a modified Exige too, please.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74&q=exige+gt3
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65&q=exige+gt3
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...164033&q=exige
Old 08-11-2006, 04:37 PM
LastGT3
Racer

I'll boil it down from my perspective:
1. Elise is nice butr has a 0 motor - GT3 kicks butt
2. Elise is light and should be way faster than a GT3 in any turn with neutral throttle - not true - the GT3 whn driven by a patient lerner who has serous time/experience will give an equally experience Elise driver an equal run;
3. accleeration - see 1 - Elise is a Yugo by comparison - no power;
4. braking - Elise is a nice car - to Bad the GT3 has an engine to use as a reverse thruster!
5. Enthousiast/fine wine Co-efficient - The GT3 is car you could easily write off if you do finesee drive it with experience - it is a dance you MUST lead with skill and decisiveness - the motor will scare the crap out of you as it slingshot you from apext to apex and then has the binders to control it. It is ensitive, predicatble and always providing adivive immediate feedback.
6. Car quality - safety - please give me a break - GT3 wins.
7. Uniqueness and race history - GT3 again.
8. Pedigree and proven durability - GT3 again.

Summary - if you want and Elise get one - I like them ...as a second car, that I likely would get on a whim. If you must, also consider the Atom since either car is dead after confronting ANY US made car - they are not production cars - they are lightweight track-only cars.
My first choice between an Atom and Elise would be the Atom - it will be more fun and is faster.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Oh, I forgot handling - Elise seems to be under spring - re Swaybars or springs - has a hell of a lot of body roll. Perhaps to soften it for street use.
GT3 has roll, but does not seem to hold it up.
The Elise needs a 3l V6 to be part of this comparo.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:05 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Elise is fun but lets be real; it's made of plastic glued to aluminum. GT3's are steel baby, thats what a man's car is made of. Most definitely what you want around you on the way to the track and back. When competently driven, a GT3 can regularly out corner them in spite of their lack of weight. Forget about corner exit. Obviously that is where the GT3 can really put the hammer down. Be a man; get the GT3.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:22 PM
911S3.6
Pro

GT3MK1,
The progression of cars is usually karts, than formula vee-which is vw powered open wheel cars with no wings, formula fords-which are open wheel with no wings, formula continental (2000) which are fully winged, unsychronizd gear boxes, i.e. Van Diemen , formula Atlantic (f3000) i.e Swift, then believe you get to CART/IRL cars...
I got my SCCA competition license in a five day/two race program with Bertil Roos Racing School at Virginia International Raceway, an awesom place to drive. Dennis Macchio runs a great school that will really push you to excel, but Skip Barber and other are accredited too.
A weekend of formula continental racing will cost you a minmum of $ 2500.00/weekend-that's renting a car, very little support, and hope nothing breaks! Cost is high to play...but also, what region of the country you live is a consideration i.e. track locations/distance, support personnel/shops/set-up, travel expenses...
I opted to build a purpose built 911 race car I could work on, drive to events, and enjoy more often.
My comment concerning the GT3 was that if you bought a formula car and all the gear,+ travel, + pit crew, + spares, + track fees,...buying the GT3 would probably make more sense financially, as you could enjoy it all the time, track it, recoup on the investment...

///Nick

Quick Reply: GT3 v Elise S2