Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q: Checklist for neccessary equipment for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Q: Checklist for neccessary equipment for DE?

I will be doing my first DE in the GT3 next month, and have 5 days lined up in September alone. What would this board consider "necessary" equipment? I have assembled a list of "goodies" that I wish to acquire over the next year and it may be overkill - so feel free to judge!

*Helmet (looking at Arai or Bell)
*Driving Gloves
*Driving Shoes
*Euro GT3 Seats (looking at cloth)
*Six point Harness (looking at Schroth)
*Sport Cage (looking at DAS)
*Race pads (looking at Pagid RS19 for front/rear)
*Race wheels (looking at Champion wheels)
*Race tires (looking at MPSCs)

Then things could get crazy...
*CarbonX Underwear
*Race Suit
*Cool System
*HANS

Thanks!
-Blake
Old 08-02-2006, 07:14 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad. Personal prefs on some of the stuff. The Scroth belts are great. I sell tons of them with all happy customers. The Cloth GT3 seats are nice. The DAS stuff is good. You might want to try the new RS29 compound.... For wheels, look at Forgeline.

Just my thoughts. Also, make sure to change your brake fluid. I like Motul 600 (unless you wnat the SRF which is overkill for most folks). Also, do you have cupcar brake ducts, wing shims, and an ALIGNMENT!!!! Make sure someone goes over the suspension that TRULY knows these cars so that you do not have anything loosening up...

Good luck..
Old 08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, everything you list is excelent quality especially the Schroth harnesses. I personally would go for the leather covered seats as they are easy to keep clean and free from smell in a car the will be used on the street too. I look at what I sweat into my seats(which I just wipe off at the end of the day) in a day at the track and wouldn't want that in the cloth. Not to mention the dust and other grime which wipes off.

One thing though, add the HANs to the first list. It is well worth the $950 and added time to put it on. My wife has "used" hers twice this year in SCCA racing and has walked away neck pain free in some pretty good impacts. Schroth also makes a nice HANs specific harness which we use in the race cars but I wouldn't do it in a DE car as then you couldn't use the harness without the HANs on.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Probably more than you want to know.

TRACK LIST

Driving Equipment
Helmet
Gloves
Driving shoes
Driving suit
Race wheels/tires (Forgelines with Hoosiers)
Race pads (Pagid Orange fronts, Black rears)
Car numbers
Headlight covers/tape
Painter’s tape
Notebook, pen
Stopwatch
Pyrometer
Track map
LapTimer

Tools
Porsche tool kit
Tire pressure gauge
Torque wrench
3/16” allen wrench
Rubber mallet
Combo wrenches
Jack and jack plate
Jackstands
Metric socket set
Wheel lug socket 19 mm
Wrench extension
Nut drivers
Phillips, stubby and medium
Flashlight
Coveralls
Chocks
Airtank
Winch
Winch lock
Tie-down straps
Mirror covers

Car Maintenance
Gas
Oil
Brake fluid
Brake bleed kit
Newspapers
Fan belt
Rags
Shop towels
Paper towels
Hand cleaner
Quik Detailer
Windex
Tarp

Cooler
Water
Food
Drinks
Ice

Personal
Sunglasses
Hat
Suntan lotion
Raingear

Miscellaneous
Cellphone
iPod
Chargers
Book/magazines
Chair
E-Z Up
Weights for E-Z Up
Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

extra car Key!!!!

why dont i see cooler with beer for afterwards
Old 08-02-2006, 09:30 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Necessary: Helmet, gloves and cotton clothing (minimal safety gear).

If it's the first time on the track you might not enjoy it (have seen it happen) and having spent thousands on stuff that you'll only need once is not necessary.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
extra car Key!!!!

why dont i see cooler with beer for afterwards
Don't drink.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by 930man
extra car Key!!!!
Good one! We never go to the track without an extra key for the car AND the truck if we tow but about the last thing I would remember to tell someone to bring.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by sweanders
If it's the first time on the track you might not enjoy it (have seen it happen)
How could you even mention such an awfull thing!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

If you were my student...I'd tell you this. #1. Safety equipment, You seem to have this down. And for that Sir, I applaud you! Now let me save you thousands of dollars in performance upgrades...including tires. #2 Put the money towards these mods into DE's and a school like Skippy or Bondy. GT3 is a very fast, keeps your attention car. You'll see it's fast enough. You are doing the right thing about asking first though, you're already better than most. Have fun and don't forget to ask how much money fast time of the day gets.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I would run it stock ie tires/brakes but definitely a good alignment is in order and go from there. Since it's your 1st DE(maybe 1st 2 de's then decide afterwards with the upgrades since you got 5 already scheduled) in it I don't even think you need upgrades in those yet unless you tracked before. Safety is probably the most important thing so your list sounds good. Maintaining concentration and hydrating yourself helps tremendously. Water/bananas=GOOD. Mike
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 639 Posts

Let me ask this...are you drving or towing?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

The items everyone listed are great. However, for your first day you will be over whelmed with excitement with the new experience, and learning the track. You need to bring lots of fluids such as water and gaterade. You will need a helmet, but some groups have loaner helmets. Gloves are very important especially in the summer time. Driving shoes help, but are not necessary for your 1st day.

This is a sport that you build into over the years. As others mentioned Safety is the #1 priority. You will be fine with the stock pads, brake fluid and tires for a while. You should check your tire pressure and clean your windshield and have FUN!!!

If you really like doing the events (I must tell you DE is addictive then you can start with the lists provided.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Save your money on the wheels and tires, and perhaps the brake pads. Learn the car as it is now. Seats, well fitting helmet, gloves and shoes are a great start, same with the roll bar and harnesses. Have fun, take it slow and feel the car out..
Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! I just got back from dinner and didn't expect such a long list of quality replies... thanks so much!

So let me start responding to some of the questions/comments:
1) Brake fluid: Excellent point as I forgot about that one. Time to hit the Renn archives!

2) Alignment: GT3 will be at the shop tomorrow for its first alignment under my ownership. I want to get a feel for it during August, and then bring it in for a few tweaks before the first DE. I plan to go more extreme than factory spec tomorrow, then may move to Kussumaul for the first DE. Not sure yet...

3) Cup car brake ducts &windshams: Don't have - need to look into these.

4) HANS: Not sure if I will do this out of the gate, but I will buy a helmet that can support it.

5) Enjoyment: Not a problem! I'm just so excited about being able to speed - legally!

6) Leather GT3 seats: My first reaction would be that leather would get wet and I would slide all over. Perhaps the 6 point really keeps you secured to the seat. You make a really good point about smell... Hmm.

7) LTCJMRAMOS list: Great list! Now I understand why everyone has an enclosed trailer - it's really a tool box on wheels!

8) Extra key: smart! I would have missed that!

9) Don't drink (except replenishing fluids): Got it. Utah folk live in high desert climate, so we get dehydrated just walking around the mall!

10) Skip Barber: On my list for this winter. I plan to go to PDE on Sept 7/8 before my 5 track days.

11) Driving vs. Towing: Driving. My SUV is too small to tow, so that will change early next spring! I presume your question revolves around tire selection. Several people in Renn archives suggested learning the track on street tires (to find the safe line, then race line), and only then proceed to race tires or slicks. If this is a correct line of thinking, please let me know!

12) Tire Pressure: Got it -thanks!

Again, thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.

-Blake

Quick Reply: Q: Checklist for neccessary equipment for DE?