Sponsored by:

Slicks/Tire choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

sorry, but i must be missing something here.
if you drive on slick, you most likely trailer the car. if you have a trailer, why not just drive a cup car?
i had the fortunate opportunately to flog a cup car last weekend. even at 5/10th, it was much much faster than my GT3 with motons.

drive GT3 with r compounds and have fun. if you want to really beat on it, get a cup car. the street GT3 is NOT even remotely close to a cup....

Last edited by mooty; 07-31-2006 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i had the fortunate opportunately to flog a cup car last weekend. even at 5th, it was much much faster than my GT3 with motons.

When are you finally going to cave in & get one? I've never even been for a ride in one, let alone driven one...
Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Holger B
When are you finally going to cave in & get one? I've never even been for a ride in one, let alone driven one...
when i win the lottery
Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

when i win the lottery
Huh? You could easily sell a few cars from your fleet and have enough left over for the trailer & tow vehicle.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:32 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I chime in here even though I don't own a GT3 anymore?

1st, Cos, I love you, but you are wrong about the coil bind, at least in a car with stock ride height like mine. Never happened in my GT3, and after you first brought it up, I was looking for it. And yes, though the suspension was no where near optimal for slicks, with -3.25 degrees of camber in the front, the slicks will work pretty well.

2nd, JCM, Pirelli slicks have the most heat cycles of all of them. That has been my experience as well as others. If you only got a few, maybe your car was not setup for them. Dunlops get the fewest, just ask Norm Goldrich. Unfortunately, Pirellis are the slowest out of all the slicks available for this car.

3rd, Kev, you are correct saying that you have to get matching diameter fronts and rears (like 640s or 650s), your ABS will thank you. The cup cars are setup for the larger rear tires (680s) that Michelin sells.

4th, the new Hoosier R6s are really great. I got a club race day, enduro, and 3 days at Watkins glen on mine and they seem to still have plenty of tread. They also do not go off after a few hard laps like the version 4s & 5s.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:38 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

4 Y-E-A-R warranty.
I drive on cups but, have tried slicks and have a set in the garage to try again. Some people like them, they stick.

sorry, but i must be missing something here.
if you drive on slick, you most likely trailer the car. if you have a trailer, why not just drive a cup car?
i had the fortunate opportunately to flog a cup car last weekend. even at 5th, it was much much faster than my GT3 with motons.

drive GT3 with r compounds and have fun. if you want to really beat on it, get a cup car. the street GT3 is NOT even remotely close to a cup....
Old 07-31-2006, 01:06 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ah, yes, warranty. that makes sense.

i know slicks stix, and i am not saying you can't used them. i am just still in SHOCK how the cup car differs from my street GT3. the sound, smell, the single mass lwt flywheel (i must have stalled 6-8x just driving the thing to the hot pits, LOL).
Old 07-31-2006, 01:21 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"i must have stalled 6-8x just driving the thing to the hot pits, LOL"
Me too. Flagger @ pit out couldn't stop laughing! And then there was that 5 to 2 shift that I will live with the rest of my life!!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Larry,

My post on Pirelli's was not clear enough. My point was the Pirelli's were good for 3 heat cycles, then loose a lot of time. They clearly can go another 15 + heat cycles (pending length/distance of each cycle), but they are slow. I also agree with you they are the slowest slicks.

However I have run a set of Pirelli's to the cord in two heat cycles on my 993 Cup, but it was two 1.5 hour cycles in the POC enduro!

JCM
Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

First: I have 800lb springs in front and 1000lb springs in rear, Moton Clubsport 2ways, and some cup car components on the rear suspension.
That should cover the fact that the CAR can handle the slicks.
Second: Before a couple of you guys (cosmos and aerogt3redwing) jump to the conclusion that I can't drive the car to its limits or that I should be driving a cup car (I'm glad a few of you guys aren't so quick to jump to conclusions - thanks gt3skea), I wasn't trying to get into a debate about my driving ability or what I should be driving. I asked a simple question, of which some gave a simple answer and I thank you for that.
I am not going to sit here and say that I am driving the car to it's full potential and that I'm better than you guys who say I don't need slicks. Yes I still have a lot to learn, as do many here. However, I can drive my car pretty fast. On Pirelli slicks (of which I have just been enlightened as to their being the slowest of the slicks) I have run a 2:06 at least 3 times on the Full course at VIR. I think Larry can testify that a 2:06 is a very fast time for a street GT3. I'm sure many of you guys realize that.

Anyway thank you those who did answer my question, I will check out the Hoosiers and the Michelin slicks.

And mooty: I struggle with whether or not to buy a cup car. I want one so badly. But I can't seem to fully justify it to myself yet. If I spend 120k on a car, I would like to get more use out of it than just track. I don't race, just do DE's now. I have been offered a cup to buy this fall, but I have not yet decided. I can usually run with the guys in cups that I see at the DE's. The one guy who is considering selling his cup told me that he has never had anyone else in a street GT3 hanging with him at the track like I can. I would probably have more fun in a cup, but I have so much fun in my car already, and it's paid for. I can still play with the big boys and still learn at the same time. Why change a good thing now? If I had it to start over again, I would have bought a cup car from the beginning.

Last edited by GT3 Nut; 07-31-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 613 Posts

I was just chiming in on suspension, I am sure you could drive and could benefit from slicks.

I do have one question, do you trailer the car? Cause the Hoosiers are DOT.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=GT3 Nut]First: I have 800lb springs in front and 1000lb springs in rear, Moton Clubsport 2ways, and some cup car components on the rear suspension.
That should cover the fact that the CAR can handle the slicks.

you are good to go - do the michelin's. hopefully ill meet you at vir soon then - i have done 206's in mine on there on r compounds (thanks to some alms guys showing me a few things there - ill share) ... but i have done all that you have and more - mine only weighs 2900 now, i have to put weight in to race. i have not run there with slicks yet.

HEY LARRY - saw the autometrics gt3 you had heard about - they have done some crazy things to that car and he is fast on slicks (has a super trap?? thing on it), i believe he hit 117 at roebling in 100 deg heat. about 3 secs faster than me on r's - cory wasn't sure when we would get to actually go head to head as he is set up for doing some scca stuff, but probably cmp in november - you should come down!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend recently ran both the Hoosier R6 and the Michelin Slicks S7 Front/S8 Rear at LRP for a BMW Club Race. He was 1 second faster with the Michelin. His opinion is that the Michelin is more progressive than the on/off Hoosier R6.

I recently sold a set of Michelin to a fellow rennlister. I used them a couple of times, and I really liked the grip. I just could not stand running narrow 240/270 tires when I could run 265/300.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:27 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

I checked into the Michelins. They are out of stock on the front size. Probably 6-8 weeks!
I guess I will be trying the Hoosiers.

Cosmos: I do trailer the car.

gt3skea: I would love to get some pointers from you. Are you on MSPC or Hoosiers?
My car is a bit heavier than yours. I would love to compare notes on car set up. When will you be at VIR? I am going Sept 8-10 with Potomac PCA.

NJ-GT: What tires are you running? Even though the slicks are narrower than the sizes you run, don't they still have more grip than R compounds - if that's what you are running?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:40 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A few points were mentioning since you're looking at the Michellins.....

On a cup the 7A/8A tires suck. They have softer sidewalls although they say the compound is the same. I've seen guys cord them on the edges in 1 or 2 cycles. I tired them several times since they're quite a bit less expensive but they just don't stick like the cup slicks do, and the cups last longer. I don't even know if that series will work on a street GT3, but if you want performance.......

Quick Reply: Slicks/Tire choice