Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup Gurus...help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I moved from the OEM Pirelli P Zero Rossos to the RA1s so it's not an even up comparison. I also have had the rear sway bar one hole softer for a good long time. I have not noticed any difference in the tail happiness of the car. The RA1s seems to be wider compared to the Rossos than the sizes would indicate, and of course the RA1 compound is somewhat stickier. Were I to add another .3-.4 degree camber I might be able to fit the 305s, which are taller than the 275 but still within the 5% or so limit that avoids ABS problems.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:22 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
No, it doesn't seeing as how 996/GT3s do not have kinematic rear toe links. Only the 993s do. The toe setting in a GT3 is quite simple and straightforward, and the links runs in parallel with the lower control arms to minimize any toe changes on suspension movement.
Larry,

With all due respect, 996 GT3's do have a kinematic toe adjustment. This design was introduced in the 993 and carried over to the 996.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Dubai911
Racer

Blacksport if your 90% street driving, your best bet is probably sticking with the stock settings. Go back to your Porsche dealer and have him set it back to stock.
When I showed my Porsche tech the Kussumaul settings he said it was only good for the track and would result in more tire wear.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.

My car is now dialed in. I switched over to Yokahama AD07s for the street and was very impressed over the MPS2s and tweaked the rear toe a tad more. I have stayed with -1.6 up front and -2.0 camber in the rear which should be fine for tire wear. The fronts wear so slowly on the GT3 that you could even run -2.5 up front with little issue. It always amazes me just how sensative the GT3 is to setup...one small thing is the difference between a dream and total crap!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
It always amazes me just how sensative the GT3 is to setup...one small thing is the difference between a dream and total crap!
The stiffer that chassis, the more critical the setup is.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
clord
Addict
Rennlist Member

Blacksport.... As I mentioned on the phone...you have changed a LOT by changing to a new, different tire. A fresh tire with a different construction can change the whole handling landscape on a car as sensitive to alignment as ours.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:01 AM
softright
Advanced

Blacksport350,
So in the end, you dialed in a bit more neg toe in the rear at the same time you replaced the tires and this solved the problem? I too am having the exact symptoms you described when you started this thread: even a mild lift off throttle when a turn is just about complete (track out on the street) under load causes a pretty sudden oversteer situation. I know the softer oem suspension means that the weight shift is more dramatic, but this dramatic of a change does not feel right to me. Its interesting you mentioned thrust angle at one point, because I was thinking the exact same thing. I had my car aligned twice now (independent) with similar numbers to yours and they measured and verified thrust angle was ok, but I still have the "problem". I am beginning to think tires. I have PS2s now.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by softright
Blacksport350,
So in the end, you dialed in a bit more neg toe in the rear at the same time you replaced the tires and this solved the problem? I too am having the exact symptoms you described when you started this thread: even a mild lift off throttle when a turn is just about complete (track out on the street) under load causes a pretty sudden oversteer situation. I know the softer oem suspension means that the weight shift is more dramatic, but this dramatic of a change does not feel right to me. Its interesting you mentioned thrust angle at one point, because I was thinking the exact same thing. I had my car aligned twice now (independent) with similar numbers to yours and they measured and verified thrust angle was ok, but I still have the "problem". I am beginning to think tires. I have PS2s now.
Yes, I tweaked the alignment a bit more, installed the Tarret Engineering toe links and put a set of Yokahama AD47s on. All around a massive improvement. It was a combination of everything but the Yoks are so much better than the PS2s that it isn't even funny. Much more of a streetable R compound tire with the wear of a full R compound. Their dedicated track tire is also a good alternative to the MPSC and goes greasy when you pound them hard.

Quick Reply: Setup Gurus...help please!