Sponsored by:

Help - thinking of buying a 996 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006 | 10:41 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Default Help - thinking of buying a 996 GT3 RS

Hi,

I have a Mk-I GT3 that has been my daily driver for the past 4 years. People tell me I'm crazy using a GT3 as my regular transport, but nothing else makes me smile as much. I have a spare car for trips that are not GT3 friendly.

Last week I drove a GT3 RS and I'm smitten. My brother has a MkII GT3, but the RS version is way more fun. I'm seriously considering trading up and I'd appreciate some advice from any current RS owners. Specifically, I'm interested in opinions on the RS as a daily driver. I may track it very occasionally, but it will primarily be my daily driver.

I know all the regular issues - noise, ride height, hard suspension - I love all of them. I'm concerned about the following: plastic rear window, Corsa tires, adjustable suspension, LWFW, etc. Do these present any hidden issues or expenses I should be aware of? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

One specific question; As the car will be a road car, not a track car, could I fit regular tires, like PS2s, instead of the Corsas when it comes time to replace?

TIA
Old 07-20-2006 | 12:29 PM
AlanN
Instructor

You can fit what tyres you like.
LWFW rattles and makes it sound like a tractor on tickover.
Suspension is no problem, take it to JZM for a geo setup.
Plastic rear window fogs up quite badly in winter but clears reasonably quickly.

I use mine everday however you will be beaten on A roads and worse by virtually everything but then that's true of a GT3 too.

Go for it :-)
Old 07-20-2006 | 02:42 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

I'm definitely living on the wrong side of the pond!
Old 07-20-2006 | 06:24 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

While I do not own an RS as they never imported them here, I can tell you that you are in fact crazy!

I see no issue at all using an RS as daily transport and given the opportunity, I would buy the RS 10 times over the Mk2 once! I actually used a my Lotus Sport 350 as daily transport and an RS is somewhat luxurious compared to that. Just fit some tires the are suited to your driving.
Old 07-21-2006 | 09:43 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I don't forsee any problems if you use a mk1 currently. Plastic rear window needs care when cleaning (furniture wax is good apparently), but otherwise nothing to consider. Suspension is no more adjustable than any other stock GT3 - just that its been optimised to reduce bump steer.

For purely road use I'd consider jacking the ride height a little and slapping on some road tyres, although Corsa Systems are fine on the road.
Old 07-21-2006 | 10:09 AM
AlanN
Instructor

And remove the front splitter (before the road does it for you)!
Old 07-21-2006 | 12:04 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Thanks for all the input. Now I just gotta find the courage to write the check.

One thing bothers me - I'm so much more comfortable in the leather seat than cloth. But I guess I could always buy leather seats if necessary.
Old 07-22-2006 | 12:59 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanH
Plastic rear window needs care when cleaning
I don't know if the stuff is available in the UK but the best cleaner for Lexan/Polycarbonate is Novus #1 and #2 (but not #3).

Old 07-23-2006 | 06:09 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Jason, will look for that stuff.

Quick Reply: Help - thinking of buying a 996 GT3 RS