Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife thinks I'm crazy...................

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:10 AM
roadie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My wife thinks I'm crazy...................

because at 5PM Friday afternoon, I got in my 03 C4S and drove to south Florida from Tennessee to pick up my 05 GT3! 750 miles of open road each way! I traded in my C4S and and left the dealership at noon for the drive home. Figured I could get acquainted with my GT3 on the way home. I was home at 10 PM. Until that point, I hadn't even driven a GT3. However, I sat in one in Nashville about a year ago when the C4S was being serviced and it just brought out the animal in me. The car just had more ***** the the C4S. I am now a "GT3 guy"! With that said, I need to hone in my driving skills do to being "mama'd" by the PSAM and AWD of the C4S.

Is the PDS worth the cost?
The GT3 motor sound and performance is so much different than the C4S. It has to be better constructed, no?
Any upcoming driving clinics or rallies in the southeast?
Thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Contrats. You've got a great car. Its a sure keeper.

Check out : Peachstatepca.org. They have links to their events and other Porsche clubs in the Southeast.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

The engines in the two cars are completely different. The GT3 engine is derived from the GT1 racer and has a true dry sump oiling system, lightened and improved internal parts and no RMS problems. Wise choice. Treated right this engine will give you outstanding performance for years to come.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:54 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Some folks would say your wife is crazy for NOT going 750 miles to Florida to pick up a GT3.

Maybe a couple of DEs, where she gets to drive, would change her mind.........then again, maybe you would have to get another GT3!!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:03 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Where in tennessee are you located if you dont mind me asking?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhh...asserting that the GT3 engine has NO RMS problems is not quite correct. Search this board and you'll run across several instances of GT3 owners having their rear main seals worked on.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats Roadie! Post some pics.

I went to PDE at Road Atlanta in '01 and really liked it. The friend I went with subsequently attended PDE at Barber and says it's even better now than the one we went to. Go do it, you'll have a blast and it's worth every penny.

You didn't mention wether you did any DE's in your C4S. IMO, to fully appreciate the GT3, you need to get it out on track where it really shines. It's a challenging car to drive well, but when your skills improve the experience is unreal. Nothing I've ever driven can match the feeling of turning really quick laps in a GT3. So, do a few DE's with your local PCA or some of the better clubs at the nearest track and get the full experience of what it means to own a GT3 (just don't push too hard too soon).
Old 07-16-2006, 04:21 PM
roadie
AutoX

thanks for the info guys! I am looking forward to many miles of driving pleasure!

"Some folks would say your wife is crazy for NOT going 750 miles to Florida to pick up a GT3. "

I thought so as well. Figured we would spend at least a night in Palm Beach or South Beach, have a nice dinner, some hotel "action", etc.
She said the thought of being in a "car" for 10-12 hours made her sick. We agreed not to agree and that it was an estrogen thing. Wait until she rides in it!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:22 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats!!!! I too am in Nashville...Hope to see you around.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:24 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Let us know when she changes!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roadie
because at 5PM Friday afternoon, I got in my 03 C4S and drove to south Florida from Tennessee to pick up my 05 GT3! 750 miles of open road each way! I traded in my C4S and and left the dealership at noon for the drive home. Figured I could get acquainted with my GT3 on the way home. I was home at 10 PM. Until that point, I hadn't even driven a GT3. However, I sat in one in Nashville about a year ago when the C4S was being serviced and it just brought out the animal in me. The car just had more ***** the the C4S. I am now a "GT3 guy"! With that said, I need to hone in my driving skills do to being "mama'd" by the PSAM and AWD of the C4S.

Is the PDS worth the cost?
The GT3 motor sound and performance is so much different than the C4S. It has to be better constructed, no?
Any upcoming driving clinics or rallies in the southeast?
Thanks!
Welcome to Rennlist.

Congratulations on "moving up" and I think, given time, you'll enjoy the depreciation curve of the GT3 compared to any other 996.

Let's see some pics and details!

Whatever driver ed you choose, start by talking with local GT3 owners -- joining PCA and searching this forum are two great resources. There are some very knowledgeable and experienced GT3 folks here at Rennlist and we all keep coming back to learn.

Find a local shop that can be trusted to set up the suspension on your car. It's as simple as getting the alignment set correctly, but it's a matter of finding the right hand behind the wrench to ensure the whole job (ride height, corner balance, alignment) is done correctly.

An '05 GT3. If it's white, color me green with envy, but whatever the paint code and the options on the window sticker, you've got the weapon of choice.

Cheers,
Old 07-17-2006, 09:54 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Your wife knew better. A night at a hotel in south Florida meant you and the guys in the parking lot talking cars all night. Followed by you getting up every hour to check on it.

Welcome to the group.

Quick Reply: My wife thinks I'm crazy...................