Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006 | 10:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

A little bird tells me that a shop in Connecticut has just taken delivery of a truck load of these engines and intends doing just this.
________
would that be farnbacher loles?
they are doing 3.8L x51's. who is doing GT3 motor? that must be hell $$$$$$$$$
Old 07-03-2006 | 11:38 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
A little bird tells me that a shop in Connecticut has just taken delivery of a truck load of these engines and intends doing just this.
________
would that be farnbacher loles?
they are doing 3.8L x51's. who is doing GT3 motor? that must be hell $$$$$$$$$
I'll let you know later, I'm having dinner with the Connecticut Yankies tomorrow night

R+C
Old 07-03-2006 | 01:14 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Do you want to have an accident in an atom?
R+C
Probably more than you would on a motorcycle...

Isn't Audi - I mean Lamborghini - bringing out a RWD Gallardo GT3; thought I read that somewhere?
Old 07-03-2006 | 01:25 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Probably more than you would on a motorcycle...

Isn't Audi - I mean Lamborghini - bringing out a RWD Gallardo GT3; thought I read that somewhere?
Well, the motorcycle puts the Atom risk in perspective.

The Gallardos running in the FIA GT3 Championship are race cars only and not prepared by Lamborghini S.p.A. but by a German tuner Reiter Engineering, who has done contract work for Lamborghini in the past.

R+C
Old 07-03-2006 | 03:03 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

jeff,

the big deal is that Porsche IS making a GT3 for NA that a number of people on this board will not buy. We do not have a choice regarding the extra ****. Is it Porsche's fault? No, they are doing nothing more than react to the NA market. It is due to all the pussies that bought the 996 GT3 and sold them because it was too uncomfortable. As a member of the disapointed drivers, I will keep my 996 GT3 and I will nt buy another track car that is more refined. Not that the 997 is not a great car, it is just not for me. Perhaps if I never owned what I have now. Especially with the delta in my cars current value and the 997's price.
Old 07-03-2006 | 04:23 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

My 05 GT3 is the finest Porsche I have ever owned. I wouldn't change anything on it (other than the LWFW and gear change I'm doing) MSRP was $123,000 and it is nicely optioned. Maybe in a few years the 997 GT3 will find a place in my heart and wallet, but out of the question for now. The sunroof isn't a big deal to me, as it seems to be with most of the experienced drivers on this board. I certainly don't have any complaints about the suspension being too rigid, or rough riding. Thats the way it is supposed to be. IMHO the car is almost ergonomically perfect. (except for the POS audio system)
Old 07-03-2006 | 05:27 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Are the 360CS and 430CS versions streetable in the US?
Of course. The "S" in the designation is "Stradale", or "street" version of the Challenge car. The 430CS is still in the rumor stage, and has not been confirmed or denied by the factory.

Gary
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:05 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

I agree with Roberga. I am in the market, and have a slot at Champion for a 997GT3RS. Rather than wait, I juts bought a low miles 996 GT3 over the weekend. If the "RS" meets the thrill factor, than I will "trade up"... Otherwise, this relatively "new" GT3 will provide plenty of track fun over the upcoming years...
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:33 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

For fear of putting my foot in my mouth, I think I'd wait until the 997 GT3 (and RS) hits the market and are tested by owners, before I would express a strong opinion about the car's capabilities or their owners' personalities.

If the leap is anything like that from the the 996 to the 997, it should all be good. For those who buy used Porsches, options (like sunroof) are are a secondary issue, price is usually their main determining factor.

Again, I amazed at those who lament the sunroof because of the weight, but won't spring for the weight saving ceramics (because of the many old wives tales about cost and reliability). It seems as anonomous (and many times uninformed) internet experiences and opinions are worth more than their own judgement. The insecurity and distrust is rampant.

While I wait to enjoy the new GT3 (and RS), I'll be content to compare the 997S with RS4 as a preferred daily driver, ignoring the bench engineering (and driving). But then again, the new softened 997 GT3 might fit that bill, or even the RS!

If the 996 GT3 proves to be a better car, I will have no problems admitting it here. However, I can't remember the last time Porsche went backwards with a model introduction, and again, it certainly wasn't from the 996 to 997.

There is no alternative (or substitute).
Old 07-03-2006 | 08:06 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Colm, nobody is saying the 997 GT3 is crap, or that the 996 GT3 is better - most accept that the newer car is an improvement, even if they don't think it's enough. The underlining theme is, if Porsche can't be bothered to cater to the hardcore driving enthusiast then it's time to look elsewhere. Simply having the GT3 badge & looks is not enough to satisfy me - as I don't want a GT3 to blvd cruise - and I'm not gonna give Porsche my hard-earned until they try harder to please me.
Old 07-03-2006 | 09:01 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Simply having the GT3 badge & looks is not enough to satisfy me - as I don't want a GT3 to blvd cruise - and I'm not gonna give Porsche my hard-earned until they try harder to please me.
i think statements like above is part of what he is referring to.
the majority of people would fall in between "hardcore enthusiasts" and people that buy for show.
it's not possible to catagorize everyone into one of two camps.
you classify everyone that isn't like yourself (whatever that is?) as a "poseur" and someone that can't possibly want a serious car for any thing but show.
they just want the badge to cruise the blvd.

jeff
Old 07-03-2006 | 09:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I'll let you know later, I'm having dinner with the Connecticut Yankies tomorrow night

R+C
thanks, i eagerly await your response.
Old 07-04-2006 | 01:03 AM
AW
Pro

Originally Posted by Colm
Again, I amazed at those who lament the sunroof because of the weight, but won't spring for the weight saving ceramics (because of the many old wives tales about cost and reliability). It seems as anonomous (and many times uninformed) internet experiences and opinions are worth more than their own judgement. The insecurity and distrust is rampant..
Colm. You are such a Porsche fan, I sometimes wonder if you get something back from them to help people drink the cool aid!

Come on! PCCB gen #1 are crap. We all know that. The fact that Porsche did not help customers in trouble combined with no real data on gen #2 doesn't justify spending more money to try again. And as you know, this is *first* hand experience, not something I heard from an old wife.

Now about the sunroof. This is about principle. If Porsche ignores me (and many others) as a customer by not allowing me (some of us) to spec the car the way it is available in Europe, I will simply buy something else.

AW
Old 07-04-2006 | 02:06 AM
stuka
Pro

With the emasculation of the US 997 GT3 & GT3RS - and PCNA in general - what hardcore alternatives are there for the US market?

Corvette Z06
Aston Martin Vantage
Audi R8
Ferreri 430 CS
Toyota Supra (new)
Lamborghini Gallardo
Lotus Europa
?
I just picked up a nice Speed yellow 996 GT2 with mandatory no sunroof or traction control of any kind. They are a steal right now, and Porsche Financial is running great residuals on them.
Old 07-04-2006 | 02:17 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by stuka
I just picked up a nice Speed yellow 996 GT2 with mandatory no sunroof or traction control of any kind. They are a steal right now, and Porsche Financial is running great residuals on them.

Details? I know of a nice one for $108k, just curious how a lease might figure out.

Quick Reply: Alternatives...