Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006 | 02:37 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am such a Porsche fan because I've tried everything else, many times over, and have always come back (19 times), asking myself how stupid I was to leave. A few months with the Italian Stallion may change my mind, but I doubt it.

I don't get any thing back from them (Porsche).

AW you had problems with your ceramics, but I didn't, and I know a few people who didn't, so what is the root cause your driving style or mine?

The bottom line is I will only buy ceramics when available, I like them that much for the initial bite (and confidence), and if they are not up to the task I demand then I will argue the bit out with Porsche (and the Dealer), if they don't perform to expectations and Porsche doesn't take care of it then I will walk. My gen 1 brakes still look like new, so I have no reason to be unhappy, maybe because Tony bedded them in for me!

However, I don't expect Porsche to subsidize my "racing" excursions but since I don't reach the upper limits (like most) the point is moot.

I think the GT3 RS will satisfy the hardcore, like you, but that's a thought (and expectation) at this point.

Just like the ceramics, though we differ from experience, I will form my opinions based upon my "real" world experiences.

It gets pretty tiring to read some of the premature conclusions..let's wait and see!
Old 07-04-2006 | 02:47 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by roberga
jeff,

the big deal is that Porsche IS making a GT3 for NA that a number of people on this board will not buy. We do not have a choice regarding the extra ****. Is it Porsche's fault? No, they are doing nothing more than react to the NA market. It is due to all the pussies that bought the 996 GT3 and sold them because it was too uncomfortable. As a member of the disapointed drivers, I will keep my 996 GT3 and I will nt buy another track car that is more refined. Not that the 997 is not a great car, it is just not for me. Perhaps if I never owned what I have now. Especially with the delta in my cars current value and the 997's price.
We got a 996 GT2 instead of doing ED Orange paint to sample 997 GT3 because even my wife thought that the hole on the roof thing is stupid. And she is not really into cars, but mostly humors me.

You know the funny thing? Last weekend we picked up the speed yellow GT2, and prior to that my wife didn't like driving the now gone 996 Turbo that we had because the lcutch sucks and is over assisted.

The first time that she got the GT2 moving in 1st gear, she had a huge smile and told me that the clutch is a little hard, but no more than our little E30, yet it makes driving the car 100000% more enjoyable.

So I don't know who those girly men that couldn't stand the GT3's are, but my girly wife thought that the GT2 was a fine car in its own right. Heck, she even drove a 120 mile leg on our way down from San Francisco from picking up the car.
Old 07-04-2006 | 02:54 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Details? I know of a nice one for $108k, just curious how a lease might figure out.
65% residual on 12K/year three year lease.

Can't beat it.
Old 07-04-2006 | 02:58 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by icon
robin,
are you saying ruf is behind relative to other tuners in the cayman project?
or maybe not doing as much with the cayman?
but on the gt3, your opinion is the sunroof is no big deal as far as taking the car on the track?
jeff

btw they are using caymans at some of the pde courses here at barber's as well
Jeff

I'm saying that Ruf has a Cayman option. Ruf do not rush to be the first out the door with a new car. Remember, most of the time you buy a Ruf, you have papers that say 'Ruf', not Porsche. This takes a little longer, it has to go through vehicle testing, you buy the car witha 2 year warranty.

R+C
Old 07-04-2006 | 04:04 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

you classify everyone that isn't like yourself (whatever that is?) as a "poseur" and someone that can't possibly want a serious car for any thing but show.
they just want the badge to cruise the blvd.
Well, I'm sorry, but if you're happy to see a GT3 with sunroof, SAT NAV and a RS without LWFW then you're squarely in camp one. For people in camp-one, there's already every other 911 including Turbo or X51; for camp-two we simply have to look elsewhere...
Old 07-04-2006 | 04:12 AM
AW
Pro

Originally Posted by Colm
AW you had problems with your ceramics, but I didn't, and I know a few people who didn't, so what is the root cause your driving style or mine?
You make it sound like it is just me. For the record I personally know 3 people with the same experience. In fact we should all be grateful that no serious accident took place. Loosing brakes at Laguna is pretty scary and I hope that none will have to go through this as well. I know I should have forgotten about this problem long ago but I just cannot advise anyone to take PCCB to the track.

I truly hope that Porsche will fix the sunroof thing. I would love to get a 997 GT3 without it. And as you expect, I'm sticking with steel brakes (although I could do PCCB since I won't track the car anyhow).

AW
Old 07-04-2006 | 04:31 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Well, I'm sorry, but if you're happy to see a GT3 with sunroof, SAT NAV and a RS without LWFW then you're squarely in camp one. For people in camp-one, there's already every other 911 including Turbo or X51; for camp-two we simply have to look elsewhere...
nothing in my post about being happy with any of those things,
but since you insist on categorizing and stereotyping carry on.

jeff
Old 07-04-2006 | 05:01 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Incidentally, having driven the 997 Turbo, I can't see it appealiong to anybody with a taste for sporting cars.
At low speeds (under 135mph) the difference between the hard and normal suspension setting (remember this is Europe where the suspension will almost certainly be firmer than in the US) was barely noticable, however, on a good autobahn surface once the speed went above 175mph, the car leapt from bumb to bumb and crack to crack, like a mountain goat and I was having to make a lot of steering correctionst o keep pointing in the right direction. On any surface less smooth than a billiards table, the normal setting would have been less hectic and faster.
For the first time in a long time with Porsche, I found the car under-braked. but then I'm spoiled for brakes.
The seats were comfortable, but only just big enough for us, we are built on pretty slim lines and are both fit, they will have to put in bigger seats in the US.
Can't say I noticed any meaningful overboost either when the Sport button was pressed.

R+C
Old 07-04-2006 | 09:33 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AW
You make it sound like it is just me. AW
AW

That is not my intent. I see and read, too often, people drawing conclusions and expressing "authoritative" opinions based upon their perceptions of others' experiences (old wives).

You and I have had different "real world" experiences and results with ceramics. Conclusion: they suit my purpose but not yours, so we make our respective choices in the future.

Hypothesis:

If speed (racing-like) is of the essence, and weight is a limiting factor, then, as a purist, one just has to bite the "cost" bullet (ceramics) to save added weight.

Given the above, I can understand the guy with ceramics complaining about the sunroof weight, but there is an inherent contradiction in those without ceramics complaining about the weight of a sunroof. That is my main point!

For my purpose (and lack of speed), the ceramics will make more a difference than the sunroof will.

Since the GT3RS is a wide body, it remains to be seen if it will suffer the same fate as the GT3 (narrow body) and not have the sunroof delete option.

I keep saying, let's wait and see. I'm hopeful that the GT3 RS will pull a few rabbits out of the hat.
Old 07-04-2006 | 11:48 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

""""I just picked up a nice Speed yellow 996 GT2 with mandatory no sunroof or traction control of any kind. They are a steal right now, and Porsche Financial is running great residuals on them. """"

I agree, I think the 996 GT2 will be the next P-car to join my happy family of Porsche's and BMW's.

Peter
Old 07-04-2006 | 12:45 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Red face

nothing in my post about being happy with any of those things,
but since you insist on categorizing and stereotyping carry on.
Let me see; you're not happy with those things but you are defensive with people that also don't want those things and are willing to shop elsewhere to get them? You question people's willingness to jump ship because the GT3 now comes standard with sunroof and can't comprehend why.

You're the one throwing around the word 'poseur', not I. You talk about categorizing, I was referring to the two groups that you created - you were never mentioned. Here's an icon for ya -->
Old 07-04-2006 | 01:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Alternatives: None. Porsche, there is no substitute.

I am trying to be objective here. I have ordered an RS. I will be disappointed if it has a sun roof. On the other hand I will not let it ruin my appreciation for a car that is otherwise 99.95 percent perfect. The 35 HP gain should make up for the 30 lbs of extra weight. For the price of a fancy exhaust system you can remove the sun roof. Cruise control adds negligible weight so I ignore it.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that when the full reviews of the 997 GT3 show up, we will all be drooling over it, sunroof and all.

If that makes me a "poseur" so be it. My GT3 has 34,000 KMs, of which 24,000 is track. The new car will be no different.

I love my GT3 because it provides a pure experience on track with few compromises. Almost as good as (but not AS good) as a race car. On the other hand, the ability to turn on the AC and drive home after a track day far outweighs (my priorities YMMV) the truck trailer thing. BTDT, don't want to do it again.

Best,
Old 07-04-2006 | 03:06 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Bob - what is the highest original km on a 996GT3 you are aware of?

Last - I suspect it is Mike K on this forum. His GT3 is not licensed for the street at all and he does something like 120-150 track days a year. his life is a beer commercial!

I was at the track last weekend. Saw my 1995 993 - ten years old, tracked by me and the new owner. Now has over 80,000 KM - looks like new, drives like new. No issues - ever. Gawd these cars are sooooo durable.

Best,
Old 07-04-2006 | 03:24 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

I think I am going to get a BMW Z4 M Coupe. I will get one for a year or so untill PCNA can figure out what to do.

I like it bettter then the Cayman. I am so upset at Porsche right now!!!
Old 07-04-2006 | 04:57 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

You cannot be serious.

Quick Reply: Alternatives...