Ferrari Red Paint to Sample

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Jared W.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrari Red Paint to Sample

Hi,

Just wondering if there were any examples of a paint to sample Ferrari Red (Racing Red i think) GT3 or GT2.....or any car for that matter.

I just put a deposit on a slot for a 997 GT3, which will replace my 91 964 cab. My dad had a 2003 Black GT2, which was a kick, and the first time I could afford to I wanted to get the closest thiing. Thanks in advance !

Jared W.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:28 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

There are 2 Ferrari red colours - one for television and one not. They are quite different hues.

Newbs have red Ferraris, gentlemen have yellow or grey (Grigio Titanio) Ferraris.

Porsches look best in Porsche colours.

R+C
Old 05-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
There are 2 Ferrari red colours - one for television and one not. They are quite different hues.

Newbs have red Ferraris, gentlemen have yellow or grey (Grigio Titanio) Ferraris.

Porsches look best in Porsche colours.

R+C
Agreed
Old 05-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Boulder GT3

Originally Posted by Jared W.
Hi,

Just wondering if there were any examples of a paint to sample Ferrari Red (Racing Red i think) GT3 or GT2.....or any car for that matter.

I just put a deposit on a slot for a 997 GT3, which will replace my 91 964 cab. My dad had a 2003 Black GT2, which was a kick, and the first time I could afford to I wanted to get the closest thiing. Thanks in advance !

Jared W.
Ferrari does paint to sample as well but there are three "standard" colors for their street cars: Rosso Corsa is the bright red that is the most common and close to Guards Red. Rosso Metalica (sp?) is like Arena Red. Rosso Rubino is a dark red that is more burgundy.

As mentioned earlier, the Ferrari race cars are a made for TV color that has a lot of orange in it. It's none of the above.

My opinion only but I wouldn't do a Ferrari color on a Pcar. Porsche has such a great history with a creative color palette that I would go for a match in one of those colors if I felt like doing a one off.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Reenforcing the above comments-Having been a red Ferrari owner, I would never do it again as they look so much better in almost any of the other offered colors! Also, I think that Guards Red is a better color on a Porsche although I think there are better Porsche colors but then you didn't ask for an opinion on that!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Jared W.
Instructor

Personally, I like red. But, guards red is just too anemic for me. I do not watch television.

My dad had a red 911S, which I loved. He had a dark blue/purple 1959 speedster, which I also loved. He had a black GT2, which was a monster...but black is not the color for a GT type car in my opinion. As mentioned, I had a midnight blue C2 cab, which looked great...but again, not a GT color.

I have seen Porsches painted Fly Yellow (a ferrari color) and it looks SO MUCH better than Porsche's Speed Yellow.

I love Porsches, and would never own a Ferrari (at least so far). I am not here to enter into the Ferrari/Porsche debate.

All I have said is that the Ferrari red is better than guards red. I know people defend Porsche's "color palette" but all I have to say is "Savannah Beige" to make my point (the new sand beige is better).

Anyway, I know there are paint to sample cars out there, just wondering if there were a red one somewhere. And it looks like Rosso Corsa is what I'm looking for.

By the way, not really a "newb" - been driving Porsches for 14 years.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 AM
360bhp
Advanced

what is a typical Porsche's colour please ?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Gulf Blue (with orange accents)
Viper green.
lemans white
I will say that fly yellow is pretty damn cool on a Porsche.
and yes red ferrari's are kinda lame...

Marty K (my color == Midnight blue metallic, wouldnt have it any other way!)
Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

There was a Rosso Red CGT at the local dealership.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jared W.
I have seen Porsches painted Fly Yellow (a ferrari color) and it looks SO MUCH better than Porsche's Speed Yellow.
Jared: I could not agree with you more about Porsche's choice of yellow. I had a 1973 that was "light yellow", paint code 6210 (according to a friend's Certificate of Authenticity). It is very similar to the Ferrari "fly yellow" of the period.

Absolutely awesome!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A local friend has a 964 RSAmerica painted to sample Ferrari Fly Yellow (one of four such cars). Spectacular color, Ferrari in the name or not.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Boulder GT3

[QUOTE=Jared W.]I have seen Porsches painted Fly Yellow (a ferrari color) and it looks SO MUCH better than Porsche's Speed Yellow.

QUOTE]

The FLY yellow is Giallo Modena (regional color) in Ferrari speak. If you believe that Ferrari's are the center of the universe the FLY stands for Ferrari Light Yellow. I'm not sure that I believe it but it's a good story if you're a Ferrari nut.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:08 PM
JFT
Instructor

I love Porsche to bits and wouldn't be caught dead in a Ferrari. Bless them.

But I have always thought that Porsche desperately needed some new thinking on the colors. This is my only gripe with Porsche. The Porsche colors tend to get very boring, and sometimes very wrong. Someone mentioned Savannah. I couldn't agree more. Who signed that off???

When I was about to buy a 996 (I kept my 993) I wanted a blue car, but I was left with a choice between Lapis and... well, Lapis. Now there's Midnight, which is quite nice and Sand is way better than Savannah. But they're still not very good. Why isn't there a proper cream for instance (or white interior). Porsche was great with colors and very innovative in the 70's. Since then they've lost the plot completely. If they don't have any creativity at least bring back some of those colors.

But, as said, all the other stuff more than compensates.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Boulder GT3

Originally Posted by JFT
I love Porsche to bits and wouldn't be caught dead in a Ferrari. Bless them.

But I have always thought that Porsche desperately needed some new thinking on the colors. This is my only gripe with Porsche. The Porsche colors tend to get very boring, and sometimes very wrong. Someone mentioned Savannah. I couldn't agree more. Who signed that off???

When I was about to buy a 996 (I kept my 993) I wanted a blue car, but I was left with a choice between Lapis and... well, Lapis. Now there's Midnight, which is quite nice and Sand is way better than Savannah. But they're still not very good. Why isn't there a proper cream for instance (or white interior). Porsche was great with colors and very innovative in the 70's. Since then they've lost the plot completely. If they don't have any creativity at least bring back some of those colors.

But, as said, all the other stuff more than compensates.
I couldn't agree more. I miss the screaming green 911S's and the paint schemes and graphics of the past. I think PCars look too similar in many ways and some strong colors to differentiate would be good for the brand. Look at what VW is doing.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 557 Likes on 356 Posts

I really loves the "blood orange" of a the 73 RS/RSR like this one:

Samuel

Quick Reply: Ferrari Red Paint to Sample