Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the explanation guys! I learn something everyday around here
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloth
You got a DIY for that one?? Can't stand the fact the car has them either.
Sorry Sloth, not yet but I'm working on it.

As soon as I can, I'll let you know.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Why is there no US tuners willing to go threw the 996 GT3 for there own HP package?

Looking at the 997 increase of 30 HP, the slight increase in compresion and the weight reduction of the rotating mass its worth 10 to 15 HP, that means that they got 15-20 HP with the larger bore of the throttle body, better exhaust system (mufflers) and more computer tuning with the increase in rpm to 8400. The camshafts stayed the same this would mean all of it could be done to the 996 GT3 as well.
The gearing is easy to do, it cost the same as an exhaust package.

With the C5 & C6 Corvettes there are several tuners such as Lingenfelter Performance Enginering and LG to name a couple, these guys go threw the entire system, air box, intake manifold, throttle body, headers, head work, mufflers, light weight & high flow cats and finaly computer tuning all in the quest of making more HP.

If these guys found interest in these cars I am sure they could find at least the same 30-40 HP.

Why is there no US Porsche tuners doing this?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Info I got from Bob Brooks and Adam Green is that Shiv over at Vishnu Tuning was squeezing another 20-30 hp out of the GT3 just with dyno-tuning. I had my car baselined, and was going to follow up with Shiv, but haven't gotten around to it.

Also, it's a volume game, isn't it? With all the Vettes out there, a tuner has a good expectation of selling enough kits to make money. Not that many GT3s.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Info I got from Bob Brooks and Adam Green is that Shiv over at Vishnu Tuning was squeezing another 20-30 hp out of the GT3 just with dyno-tuning. I had my car baselined, and was going to follow up with Shiv, but haven't gotten around to it.

Also, it's a volume game, isn't it? With all the Vettes out there, a tuner has a good expectation of selling enough kits to make money. Not that many GT3s.
Agreed that it's a number game but that's why they charge double for parts, there is still allot of NA Porsche around, I guess.

Linginfelter gets car from all over the planet.

I spoke to Shiv last week and he said he could get 30 rwhp with tuning.
If i lived close to him I would ask for a money back guaranty and do it, why not.
With his system you get the gizmo for flashing, this way you can put it back to stock on your own with the original programing flash you had previously.
Again if he was local to me I have the lighter flywheel and a little better flowing mufflers and would prefer for him to do the programing on the dyno from scratch.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is Vishno Tuning located?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:42 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
Where is Vishno Tuning located?
Union City, CA
http://www.vishnutuning.com/main.htm
Old 04-29-2006, 07:57 PM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

have the europipe and giac in my gt3 and after talking to viperbob Im thinking of getting the LWFW next
Old 04-30-2006, 04:28 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Info I got from Bob Brooks and Adam Green is that Shiv over at Vishnu Tuning was squeezing another 20-30 hp out of the GT3 just with dyno-tuning.
This is complete nonsense and perfectly demonstrates the dangers of measuring absolute engine performance on a chassis dynomometer. A child can make this kind of dyno show any kind of performance gain the customer requires.

One of the reasons that there is not a lot of US tuners rushing out kits for the GT3 is that most serious upgrades require the production of stronger lighter reciprocating components. This can get very expensive. It helps to have a proper engine brake, which few US tuners are prepared to invest in.

R+C
Old 04-30-2006, 05:44 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
This is complete nonsense and perfectly demonstrates the dangers of measuring absolute engine performance on a chassis dynomometer. A child can make this kind of dyno show any kind of performance gain the customer requires.

One of the reasons that there is not a lot of US tuners rushing out kits for the GT3 is that most serious upgrades require the production of stronger lighter reciprocating components. This can get very expensive. It helps to have a proper engine brake, which few US tuners are prepared to invest in.

R+C

Who would you consider to be the best at tuning NA Porsche engines such as the one found in the 996 GT3? This would include Europe and the USA
Old 04-30-2006, 06:20 AM
g3tcs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sloth
I went back to stock. I tried using the B&M endcaps with the stock shifter. It was a tight fit and I had to use a lot of krylon grease to make the action smooth. Even then it seemed slow to self center between 3 & 4. I now use the stock shifter with the EVO needlebearings (and shiftlink) and am very happy with the shift action.
Thanks for that... and the other comments make good sense re more careful shifting....
Will give this a go.

We NEED to fiddle - much better than mowing the lawn!
Old 04-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06
Who would you consider to be the best at tuning NA Porsche engines such as the one found in the 996 GT3? This would include Europe and the USA
It depends what you mean and want.

If you want an engine that is as powerful as possible, and a pain in the **** 99.9% of the time, there are a number of race shops that can deliver you an engine that will be like this. You don't even have to look outside the US, just take a dumper truck full of money round to one of the teams that runs Porsches in the ALMS. They will do all sorts of other things as well, almost none of which are nice to live with in real life.

This kind of tuning gets very expensive too. One of my neighbours changes his engine after every summer season - he only drives it 30,000 km per summer and it grenades after that distance. Do you want this kind of expense? For him, the tuner who delivers this is the best in the world, for most people this guy would be the tuner from hell.

A road car has to be nice to drive, this means that whoever you take it to delivers a complete package, or you project manage for yourself a complete makeover.

My requirement is for a car which I can drive extremely fast over long distances. Most people think this is what they want, but it isn't. Most people either want a car they can go out and have fun in, on track and running canyons, or they want a car that lets them win the traffic light grandprix and be cool. This is one reason why there is no simple answer to your question.

The real answer is that the best tuner for you is the one you form the best personal relationship with, the one where you are the customer highest on the pecking order. Just make sure he knows what he is doing, after all you wouldn't appoint an inexperienced marriage broker would you?

R+C
Old 04-30-2006, 05:26 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Originally Posted by g3tcs
Haven't quite made up my mind about the ssk..... Anyone here reversed the change back to stock??

Would like to try again with stock shifter for a while. If the stock shift fits into the B&M shifter sockets it should be a simple reverse install.

best thing i have done yet is get rid of the b&m. mine came with it alreadyinstalled and it sucked, but the dealership talked me into it doing good. finally after 2 pro drivers said it sucked i went back to stock.... so much more smooth and easy -love stock.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:57 PM
911 silverback
Advanced

The RS rear air induction scoop is well worth doing, look here..http://www.ap-car-design.de/porsche-...ake-system.htm
Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Kiko
Racer

Manthey Motors rule when it comes to GT3 tuning EXPENSIVE if you're looking for software power upgrade only go to RS Tuning...

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 mods