Sponsored by:

The 996 GT3 - the Last of the Breed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
At that point make all features optional and you'll sign a waiver for taking all the safety features available...and where do I sign!

FWIW, I don't care one way or another about signing a waiver. Build the car I want and I will sign nearly any waiver you put in front of me . . .
Old 04-26-2006, 02:40 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Forgive me if I am skeptical of anyone who considers themselves to be a great driver and who is getting "everything" possible out of their car.

Rather than "framing," I think it is called humility and being realistic.

If you are really getting everything possible out of your 993, which I still seriously doubt , then all the electronics in the world would not stand in your way of getting everything out of a 996 or a 997GT3 with all the goodies you hate. You would also crush any time you could think of in your 993 without those electronic goodies.

Also, I think that the possibility of more speed "lurking" in my car in its current form is a great thing. It would be depressing to know that I have already reached the ultimate plateau of driving. What would be the point of continuing on the amateur level?

P.S. You definitely are a romantic luddite. Do you wear a puffy pirate shirt as well? Ayeee matee, hand over the booty!!!!!!!!!!
I only wear my pirate shirt when driving my 993 at the limit, along with goggles and a leather helmet
Old 04-26-2006, 02:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by pcar964
I only wear my pirate shirt when driving my 993 at the limit, along with goggles and a leather helmet
Old 04-26-2006, 03:29 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 799 Likes on 405 Posts

There's not much left "lurking" in my bone stock 993 at 2:35 at Sebring with blown shocks. If anyone wants to chime in with a faster time with a stock 993, I'm all ears
Either produce a video lap that shows a 2:35, or I call BS on that time. I ran a 2:27.8 at the Sebring club race this year, and finished 2nd in the enduro in (same class as your 993). I would have been 3rd in the sprint has I not almost collected a lapper on the last lap... . Even David Murray probably couldn't run 2:35 in a stock '95 993 with blown shocks. Heck, with blown shocks, you wouldn't even make it around T1 at any kind of speed!

Btw, I know I am not getting everything out of my car. When I got to chase Cory Friedman at the Glen last year, he was about 7/10th faster per lap than me. Amature or pro alike, there is always room for improvement.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:35 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 38D
Btw, I know I am not getting everything out of my car. When I got to chase Cory Friedman at the Glen last year, he was about 7/10th faster per lap than me. Amature or pro alike, there is always room for improvement.
This is my point, and what I find thrilling about this sport . . .
Old 04-26-2006, 03:59 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D
Either produce a video lap that shows a 2:35, or I call BS on that time. I ran a 2:27.8 at the Sebring club race this year, and finished 2nd in the enduro in (same class as your 993). I would have been 3rd in the sprint has I not almost collected a lapper on the last lap... . Even David Murray probably couldn't run 2:35 in a stock '95 993 with blown shocks. Heck, with blown shocks, you wouldn't even make it around T1 at any kind of speed!

I'm crushed that you don't believe me With PSS9s/TRG sways and Pilot Sport Cups, I know a good driver running 2:32s in an otherwise stock 993. So on DSSR tires with my 993 (ROW 030 springs) I think 2:35 is pretty quick. Then again, there's some guy with a Cayman S who recently turned a 2:35 his first time out in the car. I don't know why you find this so unbelievable.

No my shocks aren't completely blown (obviously) but they are 25k miles old and are the crap stock replacements - and T1 isn't as bad as T17 with an under-damped setup, as I'm sure you know.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Nick is a nice guy. I think he is misguided but he feels the same way about me
Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I've read that Carrera GT thread. It's depressing stuff to read people advocating such nannying government intervention. The whole 'saving people from themselves' mentality just needs stamping on. 'Won't anyone think of the children?'

Perhaps Nick can get motorbikes banned whilst he's at it. They are awfully dangerous don't you know?

(I'm not however suggesting the case may not have merits as some issues seem to need investigation. I'm just objecting to the suggestion that it's Porsche's fault for not fitting a PCM style device that may have done nothing to resolve a situation that shouldn't have happened in the first instance. Nor is anyone forcing us to drive these things.)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Nick is a nice guy. I think he is misguided but he feels the same way about me

I just read that CGT thread. You're statement about Americans and Lawyers is right on...Reading that thread, its the 99% of Lawyers that give the rest a bad name.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JFT
My first post here - I am sure I will make enemies immediately.

I have been following your discussions on the 997 GT3. A lot of people are apparently disappointed with it, calling it soft and complaining about the drivers' aids. I disagree with all of you. It sort of reminds me of the discussion people were having between the 993 and the 996. Many complained when Porsche went water cooled. Not as raw. A bit more mainstream. Porsche losing the plot? Now I think everybody recognizes that it was the right move to be able to contine developing the 911. Although as a previous 993 owner I do love that car.

911 development has been going on for 30 years. The 2.7RS of 1973 has much less technology and is "purer" than the 964RS. The 964RS is purer than the 993RS. The 996GT3 is water cooled! The 997 has PASM and active steering. They are all evoutions and I think the difference between the 997GT3 and the 996 GT3 is smaller than 996GT3 and 993RS. What's my point? Well, the 998 GT3 is probably going to have even more technology. Will the 998GT3 then be the "last of the breed"? I think not.

They ALL have one thing in common - they are GREAT drivers' cars. The 997 GT3 is no exception. None of us have driven it yet, but we are happy to knock it all the same. That's silly because I am sure it's an absolute blast to drive. If those drivers' aids would interfere with the driving experience and couldn't be switched off, if they made the care much heavier and slower - then I would agree. As it stands - they don't.

Now.... This said.... The sunroof thing is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. People in US that can't delete it are right to be pissed off. The sunroof has nothing to do with the thrill of driving. On the contrary it adds unnecessary weight in the wrong place. PASM GT3, as far as I understand from people who actually tried it, does improve the driving experience without diluting the pleasure or skill needed to go fast.

I have a lot of sympathy for people who want absolute purity and prefer less technology. It's a perfectly reasonable point-of-view. But you guys should get a 964/993 RS or, better yet, a good old 2.7RS. Maybe even the RS version of the 997 GT3. As for me, I do like 911 evolution. And I love the 997 GT3.
I agree, great first post.......welcome
Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those of you with 996 GT3s, enjoy your cars! They represent the end of an era, the last of the pure breed of sportscars Porsche will ever produce, in all likelihood. I predict their used price will soon stabilize and then start appreciating slowly, just like the RS models of the past.
When I bought mine, I wanted to be in control of all things relating to the driving experience, w/o the help of the car's computer controlling driving characteristics and behaviors (except for ABS and E-gas). Sure, perhaps more and more sophisticated electronics will make the car easier to drive faster and safer since it will catch you...in the end, I bought a Porsche GT3 for it's raw purity. Sad to see it's going to be a thing of the past...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rolo
I just read that CGT thread. You're statement about Americans and Lawyers is right on...Reading that thread, its the 99% of Lawyers that give the rest a bad name.
Rolo,

I fart in your general direction.

Naw, just joking. Coming from you I consider it to be a compliment.

TD
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2006, 10:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by DanH
I'm just objecting to the suggestion that it's Porsche's fault for not fitting a PCM style device that may have done nothing to resolve a situation that shouldn't have happened in the first instance. Nor is anyone forcing us to drive these things.)
Patience. I have a feeling this will play itself out. We all probably have more to fear from DOT than lawsuits like this.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:23 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 799 Likes on 405 Posts

I'm crushed that you don't believe me With PSS9s/TRG sways and Pilot Sport Cups, I know a good driver running 2:32s in an otherwise stock 993. So on DSSR tires with my 993 (ROW 030 springs) I think 2:35 is pretty quick. Then again, there's some guy with a Cayman S who recently turned a 2:35 his first time out in the car. I don't know why you find this so unbelievable.
What kind of tire life are you getting from you DSSRs?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:08 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D
What kind of tire life are you getting from you DSSRs?
I went through a few sets of them (tirerack @ $129 each ), from my experience tire life was surprisingly good. I used them for street driving between trackdays, and unless there was standing water or hard rain, they're fine for the street.

With the first set, I had some rear wear issues because my kinematic toe was off, chewed the insides very quickly. But once that was corrected I would say wear wasn't too bad, you could probably get 6000 miles on the street with RS spec alignment. Fronts last about 1.5x rears. They like negative camber especially in the front, the sidewalls are a little soft.

They chunk badly at full tread, recommend shaving! They don't have quite the grip of MPSCs or Victo's, but last longer and are very easy tire to drive, very progressive even when they get too hot.

I don't know what I'll use this summer when I do trackdays again, the DSSR were a great bargain but no longer available

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 - the Last of the Breed