abs off on track

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 01:20 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
When do you fast guys feel the ABS coming on? At T1 at VIR or WGI I brake hard (for me), but I never feel the pedal pulsations that I feel coming up to a stop sign in the rain on cold tires. Are you sometimes feeling ABS on the track in good, dry conditions? Perhaps it is there and I'm just too focused on my turn-in point to feel the pulses, but I'm just not conscious of any pulsing. When I read, though, of how unmanageable the GT3 is when ABS is off it must be that on all heavy braking the ABS is active.
ABS only kicks in when you lock a wheel. If you're not braking hard enough to lock a wheel, which I suspect you're not, ABS won't kick in.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Chris, I have felt it plenty on my GT3. I always tried to brake just at the threshold of triggering it. Sometimes, when I was really close, I could feel it pulse one or two times. The infrequent times that I would trigger it full blown, it did increase stopping distances. Not the best way to slow down.
This is exactly what I get, although I get the few pulses whenever I go over slight surface imperections etc whilst braking hard. Is there a consensus as to whether or not I'm braking too hard for the conditions? The car feels ok, but I'm aware it is pulsing a bit. Is this something I should be avoiding?

This isn't the same as when I've completely blown it and gone into full blown ABS mode where the stopping distance radically increases and I have to change my pants
Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first things first - there are 3 faults in the system, 1 is an electrical fault on the driver front wheel sensor, 2 is an electrical fault on the driver rear wheel sensor, and the 3rd is a communication problem between the abs and the computer??? as far as any of the techs can find out there is/should be no relation to the 2 wheel sensors so they are tearing deeper into it now. nobody can interpret it thus far...

as far as the car turning to a steep front brake bias and basically locking up at the onset of abs failure, none of them knew but are looking into it (can anyone verify this? bc again, i did release the pedal to try to get the wheels to rotate again and either did not do it enough, or it was out of my control at this point)

lastly, the best braking always feels to me, as larry stated, when im on the verge of the abs kicking in, maybe a few pulsations in the middle. the few times it has been extended it forces me too far out in the corner. it almost seems as if its purpose sometimes is to allow me to feel where the best braking is and be able to back down a bit if i go too far instead of locking up! and for that purpose it has been great for me. a good crutch? no - but a good learning tool? yes

it was suggested i try a cup car abs system - any thoughts?? its supposed to be a simple replacement and is not so intrusive.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
This is exactly what I get, although I get the few pulses whenever I go over slight surface imperections etc whilst braking hard. Is there a consensus as to whether or not I'm braking too hard for the conditions? The car feels ok, but I'm aware it is pulsing a bit. Is this something I should be avoiding?
I would say that you've got it right. Those few pulses are the signal that you are on the verge of locking up a wheel & getting a full blown ABS response. You can't brake any harder than that. Now the question is, do you get those occasional pulses whilst braking on perfect asphalt? THAT is when you are at the threshold.

Skea, I don't know much about the Cup Car ABS except that I am told it is better suited for track duty. I do know that I never had any ABS problems or tire lockup difficulties with the cup car that I ran at Summit Point. And that track is fairly bumpy into the turn 1 braking zone.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

The last time the cup abs was mentioned, the issue was raised that it was only calibrated for a very narrow set of parameters one would encounter in a race, and thust not be suited to road use. Not sure how true it is, but worth investigation before you part with rather large amounts of cash.

Larry - glad to hear I'm not doing anything wrong. Used to bother me a lot more when I had ceramics as many say ABS kills them. I wonder where the line is between efficient threshold braking and too many pulses extending the braking distance. I'm still getting used to really jumping on the brakes to get optimal braking. Must be doing something right though as my passengers are now staggered by the cars braking - they weren't when I first got it
Old 04-17-2006, 10:13 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

My ABS goes off all the time and it can be really annoying and sometimes really upsets the balance of the car. The front bias is set too high and the back end tends to wonder back/forth (like a wag in the tail), and I am using MPSC's. All this happens under hard braking at Lime Rock Park on the main straight. I am not going to fast compared to other people driving a GT3. I talked several people at Lime Rock with GT3's and all drivers mentioned this is an issue. However, the better drivers (not me) don't seem to mind and let the ABS go wild through the braking zone. A potential cause could be the bumpy track.

Does anyone have this similar experience at Watkins Glen before the bus stop? The Glen is a much smoother track.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
Must be doing something right though as my passengers are now staggered by the cars braking - they weren't when I first got it
I have to say as a Green and now a Blue student with a car much faster than I was and am, that that T1 at WGI or Summit Point with an instructor not used to GT3 brakes was a curious experience. I braked at the too early point and too softly (compared to Larry) and still they would see their lives flashing before their eyes! Even after two days with me and seeing what the car does they would be silent, but their right foot would snake out to press the non-existent brake pedal in the right footwell! If I were not such a mature fellow I'd have laughed out loud.

This car is amazingly fast, but as fast as it is, the brakes are even better. Just the car for me....

Quick Reply: abs off on track