Sponsored by:

GT3 Newbie seeking Track Prep tips for DE's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 PM
IslandBoy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 Newbie seeking Track Prep tips for DE's

GT3 Newbie seeking Track Prep tips for DE's. I have my first DE with this beast coming up next weekend at Sebring, and Im hoping to pick your experienced knowledgible brains on suggested preparations. Specifically relating to the GT3, as I have 12 years of DE's in other track cars. All the homework I have done points to the fact that Alignment is CRITICAL. Do you recommend the factory specs? For tire pressures I was told to bleed them down to doorjam specs as they heat up. Anything else ................ ?? Appreciate any experienced suggestions!!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:05 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5/6 point harness, rollbar
Old 03-25-2006, 12:19 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since you're not a newbie to track days we will assume you have the safety stuff down and will do a thorough inspection...(glad to see your post about getting GT3 seats, harnesses and roll bar cause you will be fast in the GT3 even on your first day, especially if you know the track)....alignment and tire pressures will get you there for your first track day..be sure and torque the wheels 94ftlbs before each run and if you have PCCB's (maybe even if you don't) don't park it with the E-brake on...hope you have a great experience
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Islandboy,

I made my first track experience with my first GT3 two days ago. ( the day after getting the car BTW..). I ended , with a BIG smile, outside the track following a spin. I succeeded to control the previous 15 ocasions were the back tried to overcome...the front...

Fast car. Difficult car. A pleasure...

Let me know about your experience aftyer your track day...

Good luck . ( BTW , next sunday I'l take it again to the track..)
Old 03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=boqueron]

I ended , with a BIG smile, outside the track following a spin. I succeeded to control the previous 15 ocasions were the back tried to overcome...the front...

Difficult car.

QUOTE]

not to flame or fan any, but I am getting a bit tired of the " it's a difficult car to drive" comments....guys; get some instruction in an older 911 (non-water pumper) on slicks and then you will understand "difficult to drive"....most of you are coming from your luxo-barges and are naturally going to have severe proprioceptive issues to deal with. don't buy a performance car of this caliber and then expect to get on the track this week and be 100% comfortable. Do not let ego run the show here. MORE INSTRUCTION is the message here and save the initial "hard to drive" comments until you have been instructed as to why you are finding it difficult to drive. errors will compound and your experiences will not be satisfactory.

have fun, be safe and LEARN.......seat time matters more than anything else.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:02 PM
boqueron
Pro

leif997,

What makes you think that we are not getting the needed instruction ? What makes you thing that there is any more ego run that the one your own post shows?... How do you know were do we come from ( "luxo-barges")? In my case , 5 years of Rallye driving, 30 years driving all kind of cars...
BTW, my instructor , one of the many times I have been driving with him ( 4 times GT spanish champion, Formula 3 driver), told me - just after driving my car- that it was an extraordinary and...difficult car to drive that gives enormous satisfaction once mastered...

Don't worry, I will tell him to find an older 911 with slicks...
Old 03-26-2006, 06:20 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What sort of tire pressures are you running Boq? Sounds like a bit to much if the rear end is stepping out that much, or you are driving it like that ralley car. Not that I'm a water cooled guy, but I've not heard of the GT3 being a hard car to drive. If you are over high twenties to low 30's with pressures you are most likely running to much and over heating the tires which causes the effective sprung weight to go upHigher tire pressures), which in turn causes either under steer, or in your case over steer.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:56 PM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks Chris, I will check my presures and alignments. Lots of small things happened: the pads obviously were not the right ones ( they cristalized and nearly disappeared after 40 minutes of tracking being very, very carefull with them.). The car was very unstable in straight lines ( could be the presures, alignment..).

Please don't misunderstand me. I only tried to share with another new owner my experience. I was not complaining for it. Nothing against the GT3. ..

I have to admit that I was - together with my instructor - trying to find the limits of the car ( only in slow and safe exit corners ), forcing the slides and keeping ( or trying to keep..) the car in the corners with the trottle. It was a day with occasional rain, wet and dry track, wet and dry corners, Not the very best day to try for the first time an unknown car on a track..
Old 03-26-2006, 10:39 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boqueron
BTW, my instructor , one of the many times I have been driving with him ( 4 times GT spanish champion, Formula 3 driver), told me - just after driving my car- that it was an extraordinary and...difficult car to drive that gives enormous satisfaction once mastered...

Don't worry, I will tell him to find an older 911 with slicks...
take it easy, bro. told you it was not meant to flame, but it looks like your ego got a hold of you anyway and your GT champ instructor was being kind to you and probably massaging that ego as well.....

gotta luv that machismo, though....

flame on johnny
Old 03-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

A GT3 on street tires should have about 40 lbs HOT pressure all around. Get the feel of the car and then adjust slightly (no more than 2 lbs). Note that 40 lbs may be less than the factory pressure - don't worry. Set it back to factory pressure for the trip home.

Rgds,
Old 03-27-2006, 12:02 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is it with Porsche guys and their 40 lbs thing? To each his own I suppose, but I can say with a pretty good amount of certainty that 40 lbs is usually to high. Having raced both front and rear wheel drive cars, I can say that anything over about 36 hot is to much, street tires or not. Cold a good place to start is usually 28-32 lbs. If the alignment is right there should be a consistant gain of 4 to 6 lbs (track dependant) on all four corners.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

On the OEM Pirelli Rossos 32 psi cold gets me to 40 psi hot, give or take a psi or two given ambient temperature variations. Wear across the face of the tires is even, so I think my alignment is good. Of course I'm driving a GT3, not a 993 4S, so perhaps that makes a difference.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

993inNC - some of us Porsche guys spend time talking to tire engineers who tell us that street radials are all designed to work best at around 40 lbs hot. That's why. Most R compounds like lower pressure, in the 34 to 36 range. Street tires do not have sidewalls as stiff as R compound tires designed for circuit use. As a result pressures much below 40 hot will cause the tire to roll over more than is desired. Note that this advice applies to modern Porsche cars which all weigh 3000 pounds or more.

Rgds
Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have to agree with Bob. On street tires 39 is my target for perfect handling all around......on street tires. And I have spent many days on the track trying to hone this number in just perfectly.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

best way to determine if your suspension settings are accurate wrt tire pressures is to have a friend do little tire pyrometry in the hot pit lane....they are relatively inexpensive items and will tell you if your tires are crowning or not at the pressures you are operating with and will also tell you if your toe and or camber adjustments are in the appropriate ranges....an invaluable tool for set-ups and mandatory for dialing in the car in my opinion.

Quick Reply: GT3 Newbie seeking Track Prep tips for DE's