Sponsored by:

ohlins dual ride height system

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:50 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ohlins dual ride height system

any of you guys had any experience with the ohlins dual ride height system?
because of my steep driveway i'm going to need something like thus to be able to have garage access for cars with low front aprons. had a small problem with the 996gt3 i previously had and the 997gt3 is lower. also considering a cgt which porsche makes a one inch lift kit for that would not be adjustable.
the ohlins system would be adjustable up to a couple inches.
robin had ruf install it on his gt3 and thinks it's a good system.
since it appearently hasnt been out very long i was just wondering if any one else had any experience with the system?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enquired with Ruf about this and it seemed to be automatic when you dropped below 30 mph. Was actually more interested in being able to drive with more ride height at speed on bumpy roads, but its not suited for that type of usage.

Very expensive too...
Old 03-20-2006, 06:14 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you would like to get some specific info directly from Öhlins I know one of the guys working there. I am not sure if this is a RUF-specific product but there might be better deals through other sources..
Old 03-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From time to time I stay with a charming plastic surgeon and her husband in Prague. Watching a light entertainment programme on television one night, I noticed her chuckling away and thought to enquire how many of the singers and dancers were former patients of hers. Flustering somewhat she said she couldn't possibly say. Later, she admitted that about three quartes of them had been under her knife.
Well asking Alois Ruf about the number of lifting collars he has installed or a Saville Row tailor how many suits he has made, is a bit the same, its a tactless question.
The answer is that there have been very few installations. For several reasons.
1. OEM manufacturers are cheap and very very few production cars use Öhlins components, which are not cheap.
2. The German distributor for Öhlins is somewhat offhand and the German tuners find him too difficuilt to deal with. This is unfortunate, Germany is a big tuning country, there would be lots of local customers.
3. There are not many tuners in the world that are capable of having electronic circuitry designed and integrated into their cars. The way this product is designed requires this level of aftermarket involvement. Every new car requires the program to be modified and tested, and, get this, passed by the TÜV, the road safety authority.

There are a few other tuners who could possibly do install these collars, but they are very discrete about where they source their components from.

Finally, many people who have, over the years, endured whatever systems Ferrari and Lamborghini have employed, have welcomed this product with open arms.

If you want a solution for a car for which the work has not already been done, then allow six months, its not an instant gratification product. Being the first customer is also expensive.

R+C
Old 03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

porsche has thier own one inch lift kit that is not adjustable that supposedly works well with the car and has been installed in some customer cgt's.
a dealer told me after posting on the factory forum there was nothing but good feedback.
but he had to keep the customers names private so he couldnt give me any references to check.
and then he said, but two of the customers are jay leno and jerry seinfeld! LOL! he! he!
so i sent an email to jay leno asking how the system works! LOL
i'm sure i'll get a quick response!
supposedly he doesnt even use computers!

robin, you are confident that the ohlins system would be a superior choice to the porsche oem lift kit?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:02 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how you could apply the ohlins kit to a CGT, it has inboard dampers on cantilevers. Presumably this is why Porsche had to make a kit, as on a 911 you are reasonably free to adjust the ride height if you are happy for it to be fixed.

Jacking up my RS for the first time on the weekend, I was somewhat alarmed by the near complete absence of droop in the suspension. No wonder it feels like I am taking off on bumpy roads. I guess this is due to the ride height?

Last edited by DanH; 03-21-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:05 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
so i sent an email to jay leno asking how the system works!
The Porsche upgrade involves installing longer pushrods on the front and rear and increasing the spring preload on the rear (by turning the washer on the rear strut three complete turns). The front axle ends up raised 10mm and the rear axle 9mm.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:35 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The Porsche upgrade involves installing longer pushrods on the front and rear and increasing the spring preload on the rear (by turning the washer on the rear strut three complete turns). The front axle ends up raised 10mm and the rear axle 9mm.
that's not even 4/10ths of an inch in the front. and the porsche lift kit costs like 10-12k???
are you sure we're talking about the same thing?
how did you find out what the kit consists of?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

how did you find out what the kit consists of?
From the installation instructions in TSB 4495, "Raising Ride Height" dated May 3, 2005.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
From the installation instructions in TSB 4495, "Raising Ride Height" dated May 3, 2005.
the kit i'm referring to wasnt available at that time.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

the kit i'm referring to wasnt available at that time.
I'm pretty sure that it was available but just not widely advertised. The part number for the (push rod set) kit is #000-044-500-40 and the set includes:

980-343-257-04 (1) Front axle push rod, left
980-343-258-04 (1) Front axle push rod, right
980-333-257-04 (1) Rear axle push rod, left
980-333-258-04 (1) Rear axle push rod, right
900-817-003-02 (4) Lock nut (M10), upper push rod
999-084-016-02 (2) Lock nut (M10), lower front push rod
900-380-008-09 (2) Hexagon nut (M10), lower rear push rod.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
I don't see how you could apply the ohlins kit to a CGT, it has inboard dampers on cantilevers. Presumably this is why Porsche had to make a kit, as on a 911 you are reasonably free to adjust the ride height if you are happy for it to be fixed.

Jacking up my RS for the first time on the weekend, I was somewhat alarmed by the near complete absence of droop in the suspension. No wonder it feels like I am taking off on bumpy roads. I guess this is due to the ride height?
Dan
It can be done to the front of the CGT, but not the rear. It has been designed and engineered. Waiting on beeter weather before being fitted. Final costs should be available in a few weeks.
R+C

Quick Reply: ohlins dual ride height system