Sponsored by:

Longer Lug Bolts? Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:10 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Longer Lug Bolts? Help

I have a set of Kinesis wheels and have an uneasy feeling as to wether the OE lug bolts are long enough. Wondering if someone could use a OE wheel and place a standard lug bolt into it and measure how far to bolt extends past the inside surface, so I might compare it to what I currently have. I no longer have my OE wheels. This has been bugging me for 2 years and would like to put this to bed once and for all.

Your help would be appreciated, Tnx

Last edited by RayGT3; 03-18-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ray,
I have been running the Kinesis K28 for a year of track with the original bolts and replaced the locking bolt with a longer one from the dealer ( $ 15 cdn). No incidents but if you are at all worried you could replace all with the longer ones from the dealer.
P.S.. You have checked with Kinesis about your rear wheels, I hope.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:16 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Mike,
I just wanted to confirm that I had at least the same amount of thread engagement as with the factory wheels. I talked to Kinesis, I think, last spring. If I remember correctly, they had some aledged wheel failures at that time. They told me the wheels I had (K19r's), were not suspect. If there had been additional issues I was not aware them. Please let me know if I might be missing something.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You do not have as much thread making contact but it has not been a problem for me so far. The longer bolts from the dealer give you a couple of extra turns.
If you checked with Kinesis last spring then your wheels are fine.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:46 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ray,

I will take pictures tonight. I have both the stock lug bolts and the red collar lug bolts (used on the 5mm spacers).
Old 03-21-2006, 02:08 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

NJ-GT
Thanks, I really hate to be beating on these things not knowing if the amount of thread engagement is in fact safe. Anyone know what the actual safe minimum is? The GT3 lugs are a bit shorter to begin with, I believe. If in fact I've been driving on wheels with too short lugs for 2 years I need to have a talk with Kinesis. I don't want to have an accident to prove my point.

If in fact it is determined I need longer bolts which ones would be recommended, w/ P/N's please. I had heard the Cayanne ones are longer.

Ray
Old 03-21-2006, 03:43 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Talked to the folks a Kinesis and their rule of thumb is the minimum engagement length should be >= the bolt diameter. I'll check mine tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:04 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The pictures are for both the stock lug bolts and the extended lug bolts for the 5mm spacers from Porsche. I'm running 5mm spacers front and rear on my 10"/11.5" wheels so I needed the longer lug bolts (red collars).

On the pictures, the thread used is visible, and it's close to square compared to the bolt diameter, actually a bit longer. The Kinesis guys seem to be right on the formula:

Minimum Thread Engagement >= Bolt Diameter

Old 03-24-2006, 01:55 AM
RK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at GT Performance today to get my new BBS Racing wheels + Mich Pro Cup installed and we had the same issue. The OE bolts would have been too short. Do you have a part number for the longer bolts.
Thanks

Kevin
Old 03-24-2006, 02:20 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The BBS won't work with the 5mm longer lug bolts. They require way longer lug bolts. I got them from Wheel Enhancement for my BBS Racing Wheels. They were like twice the size of a stock lug bolt.

You should be able to estimate the required lug bolt length by measuring a stock lug bolt on your BBS race wheels, and adding the length needed to reach the wheel hub, and finally adding 20mm.

Please, post those measurements so we can keep track of it. I sold my BBS Race wheels with the longer lug bolts about 6 months ago.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Shrews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a set of longer bolts/w hats from H&R for use on a set of forgeline wc3's. I can call the shop and get specs for you if you'd like. I think it took about a week to get them.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:59 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

I called Sunset and they have the red ring bolts for less than $6 ea. Don't know the P/N but they will know what you need.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:48 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

OK, Here's the deal, I measured a stock bolt taken off my gt3 using Kenesis K19R's. The bolt dia measures .545" and the engaged thread length is approx .3", equivilant to 4-5 threads engaged. This is not close to Kinesis recommended 1 to 1 diameter/thread ratio. Please take note Kinesis users. I have given this information to them, they are supposed to call back in response Monday. I guess everyones at a show so no one to answer the question now. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Longer Lug Bolts? Help